Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 6th, 2013 #21
antiZOG

Guns, ammo, and magazines -the new "gold".

Ammo, well-stored, can last, and be reliable for many decades. I have shot WW2 8mm Mauser rounds, with the "nazi" eagle headstamps, round after round, without a single dud.

I can forsee a time in the future when cases, boxes, and individual rounds of ammo are regularly bartered. Magazines, also.

Old January 6th, 2013 #22
Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
$1400 - Mini 14 Stainless, folding tactical stock/pistol grip. See through scope mounts with a Bushnell 3x9 stainless scope (factory iron peep sights). 4x 30 round magazines and 250 rounds of ball ammunition.

What's your thoughts?
Don't spend 1400.00 on on a mini 14 . do a search on accuracy for them they seem to be hit or miss mostly miss. I good friend has one that puts out 6 inch groups at 100 yards . He called Ruger and bitched , only to be told that is pretty good for a utility rifle. For that kinda money You can still get a AR 15 go here and check the adds:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/7_Equipment_Exchange.html

I have seen this panic buying and price gouging at least 4 times allready and the outcome was always the same. In 90 they were gonn a ban all autoloaders dealers didn't want them in trade , it caused Me to trade away a sweet shootin NM Springfield M1A for a Colt Delta Elite 10 MM (something else that was not gonna be available to the masses) Well that one turned out to be bullshit too. I really liked that M1A and miss it all except the stupid steel but plate. I like My AR10 much better.

Now on that Ultra Mag 7MM I just don't know why the ammo companies think they must re invent the Wheel ? It has the same ballistics as the older
7MM STW Mag It has a larger case so on paper it looks great but it is inefficient so the extra powder is needed to get the same power. Stick with the 7MM rem. mag the ammo cost is 1/3 to 1/2 . I got a STW Mag and the ammo cost/availability just aint worth the extra 250 feet per second.

But if You really need the extra power I got a really nice 7MM STW Mag on a Winchester Classic 70 Stainless for sale or trade

Old January 6th, 2013 #23
antiZOG

Regarding Ruger Mini-14's - I am told that the earlier ones -especially from around 1980 up through '86 had more accuracy problems..and then, at some point Ruger moved their factory, re-tooled, got state-of-the-art CNC automated machine-tools, and the production and accuracy got much better.
If I were going to get a Ruger, I'd get the Mini-30 ( 7.62 X 39 -the same round as used in the AK and SKS ). The bullet is slower, but has more mass, and tends to punch-through things better, rather than get deflected by minor obstacles like twigs, grass and leaves.
Also, the 5.56 X 45mm, being such a tiny bullet, tends to shed it's jacket and fragment after striking barriers like cinderblock, sheetmetal, glass, etc. , losing mass, and making effectiveness beyond the obstacle less certain.
At 200 yards or less, the 7.62 X 39mm round has adequate velocity and power -and would be more useful against targets that are behind walls, sheetmetal etc..
Let's be realistic -the 5.56 ( .223 caliber ) has a lot "zing", trajects flatter, and has more effective range, but in a real fighting scenario, opponents tend to hide behind things -alot. Clear, unobstructed shots are not always available.
Most engagements take place at LESS than 200 yards -THAT is the domain of the 7.62 X 39.
If you want to go long distance -then get a 7mm or better, rifle, preferably with a scope, but some folks do really well at surpising distances using only the US military-style iron peep-sight arrangement. These sights are standard on the legendary M1 Garands and M14's, noted for long-range accuracy and hitting power.
The ideal blend of effective range, firepower, and accuracy would be an M-14/M1a with a scope and standard 20-round box magazine, or an FN/FAL ( both are chambered for the more powerful 7.62 NATO round).

edit: much of what I wrote on ballistics has already been elaborated on by previous posters, and I acknowledge that and thank you-just adding my 2 cents.

Old January 7th, 2013 #24
Derrick MacThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiZOG View Post
Regarding Ruger Mini-14's - I am told that the earlier ones -especially from around 1980 up through '86 had more accuracy problems..and then, at some point Ruger moved their factory, re-tooled, got state-of-the-art CNC automated machine-tools, and the production and accuracy got much better.
If I were going to get a Ruger, I'd get the Mini-30 ( 7.62 X 39 -the same round as used in the AK and SKS ). The bullet is slower, but has more mass, and tends to punch-through things better, rather than get deflected by minor obstacles like twigs, grass and leaves.
Also, the 5.56 X 45mm, being such a tiny bullet, tends to shed it's jacket and fragment after striking barriers like cinderblock, sheetmetal, glass, etc. , losing mass, and making effectiveness beyond the obstacle less certain.
At 200 yards or less, the 7.62 X 39mm round has adequate velocity and power -and would be more useful against targets that are behind walls, sheetmetal etc..
I do not know if you have been given correct information about early Ruger Mini 14s. Mine was made in 1980 and you could drive nails with it at 50 metres and get a perfect grouping at 100 metres.
You make a good point about the version chambered for the 7.62x39mm round. If I had to pick between a Ruger and an AK47 chambered for that round I would pick the Ruger.
The AK47 has appeal for the macho posers, but the weapon has serious shortcomings. First, it is an inferior copy of the MP44, made out of substandard metal. It is cheap and nasty for mass production at the lowest possible cost. Have you ever seen the slow-motion film of the way that the barrel whips? An AK47 is pretty much useless after about 100 metres in terms of accuracy and the round runs out of puff at 300 metres. The Russians themselves acknowledged this, which was why every Russian 10-man section has been equipped with one Druganov 7.62x54mm since day one. I like the Druganov. I like it a lot. The old Tsarist 7.62x54mm round is an excellent military calibre.
If I was in the USA, where one is blessed with an abundance of choices, I would pick either an M14 or, my personal favourite, the FAL L1A1 as a personal assault rifle. Both are excellent rifles, the calibre is a man killer and there should be plenty of 7.62x51 ammunition into the foreseeable future. It is still the calibre used in many of the ZOG's machineguns.
An advantage of the FAL for women is the gas regulator, which can be dialled down to reduce recoil. Please correct me if I am wrong, but to the best of my knowledge the M14 does not have this feature. Even before they were banned here M14s were rare collectables and when I exercised with US forces they were all equipped with M16s, so I have not actually handled an M14. Older friends who have, speak highly of the weapon.

Old January 7th, 2013 #25
Crowe

Friend of mine used to have a mini-14 years ago, and he ended up trading it in for an AR-15 (forget the brand). I like Ruger brand for revolvers, but not much else. I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum, and its a great revolver, accurate too. I can pop milk jugs at 150 yards with my Blackhawk .357 magnum from a secured position. The Ruger Redhawk .44 magnums are also nice revolvers, and pretty accurate.

Also, I hear Colt makes VERY good AR-15s, but they are a few hundred bucks more, but their stuff is mil-spec, and comes with already top-of-the-line modifications. For not much more than $1400, you could get a Colt AR-15, which is a far superior rifle to a Ruger Mini-14.

Old January 7th, 2013 #26
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post

Also, I hear Colt makes VERY good AR-15s, but they are a few hundred bucks more, but their stuff is mil-spec, and comes with already top-of-the-line modifications. For not much more than $1400, you could get a Colt AR-15, which is a far superior rifle to a Ruger Mini-14.
Not now, you can't. Pre Sandy Hook, sure. Just check the limited availability online, and it is all double (at least) MSRP - and only from private sellers. Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers are out of stock....of EVERYTHING semi-auto and tactical.

Old February 9th, 2013 #27
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Checked prices lately? Some kwans are apparently mistaking SKS rifles for twinkies.

Old February 9th, 2013 #28
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post
Checked prices lately? Some kwans are apparently mistaking SKS rifles for twinkies.
Ha! I was just talking about SKS's this morning to a friend of mine. About 5 years back (last time I looked at SKS prices) they were selling for around $129.00. Saw a few yesterday - $2,000.00 each.

Holy shit.

Old February 9th, 2013 #29
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Ha! I was just talking about SKS's this morning to a friend of mine. About 5 years back (last time I looked at SKS prices) they were selling for around $129.00. Saw a few yesterday - $2,000.00 each.

Holy shit.
Christ. It appears I have missed the boat when it comes to getting an "assault" rifle at a sane price. May have to "acquire" one from an Iron Heeler should the time come.

GodDAMN that stinking cunt Feinstein & all itz co-kikes....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old February 9th, 2013 #30
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Christ. It appears I have missed the boat when it comes to getting an "assault" rifle at a sane price. May have to "acquire" one from an Iron Heeler should the time come.

GodDAMN that stinking cunt Feinstein & all itz co-kikes....
There are a few semi-auto hunting rifles out there, available, at a "decent" price. The Remington 7400 or 7415 comes to mind. Chambered in .270, .308, and .30-06 (to name a few) can be found without a terrible mark-up. While they don't have a heavier tactical barrel (for sustained fire) they are more than adequate for defensive fire in a pinch.

They have a drop magazine, which can range from 4 round (factory) to 30 round (aftermarket) capacity. They can be outfitted with "tactical accessories" if you wish for little impact on the pocket book if you wish for the "mean and evil" look.

Or you can always fly under the radar with a pump action 76 series pump action that is only seconds slower.

7400 series semi-auto hunting rifle.

7615 pump action hunting rifle

Old February 12th, 2013 #31
313Chris

I've been in the market for an m14/m1a as well. Keeping tabs on the prices on auction sites like gunsamerica and gunbroker, yes, I've also noticed the insane gauging on .308 assault rifles. On gunbroker, the prices for a NIB Springfield m1a seem to have stabilized a bit, but gunsamerica continues to be a rape-room. Considering the ridiculous cost of buying a new MIM-loaded, investmen-cast Springfield, I'll probably end up getting on the waiting list for an LRB receiver and just build the damn thing myself out of quality parts for the same price.

Old February 15th, 2013 #32
Crowe

Quote:
Not now, you can't. Pre Sandy Hook, sure. Just check the limited availability online, and it is all double (at least) MSRP - and only from private sellers. Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers are out of stock....of EVERYTHING semi-auto and tactical.
I've heard good things from this company here:

http://www.iiiarmscompany.com/

$1550 for an AR-15, but I hear they are top-notch quality. I wouldn't pay that much for a 1911 though.

Old February 28th, 2013 #33
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Gunmaker reports surge in sales -- before Newtown shooting

Sturm, Ruger said a 50 percent increase in sales went back to President Obama's re-election campaign, when gun owners began to fear some guns would so be harder, or impossible, to buy.

by David Gura
Marketplace for Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sturm, Ruger, the publicly traded gun maker, reported a 50 percent increase in sales for 2012. Most of that increase came before the school massacre in Connecticut in December. Sturm, Ruger's CEO, Mike Fifer, told analysts the surge resulted in part from the "current political environment" beginning with President Obama's re-election campaign.

Fifer told analysts today he wishes the Connecticut-based company had amassed a bigger inventory. "We would have sold all of it and then more. But we didn't. And so, all we could sell is what we could make each week."

Fifer says Sturm, Ruger won't be able to build up that inventory for a while now, at least until demand slows down. By the end of last year, it had a backlog a million and a half guns long.

Rommel Dionisio is a firearms analyst with Wedbush Securities. He says that, when it comes to growth, gun makers are very cautious. "One of the real hesitations on the part of the manufacturers to build capacity is the realization that the surge is not going to be that sustainable," he said.

It's also hard for suppliers to keep up with new demand. Gun sales spiked when Bill Clinton was elected, and when Barack Obama became president. Dionisio says that, in both those cases, gun sales came to a halt one year later. By then, everyone had all the guns they wanted.

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/bu...wtown-shooting

Old February 28th, 2013 #34
Simmon

Ah, but the difference is that this time around sales don't seem to be slowing down.

Old March 13th, 2013 #35
Karl LaForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Friend of mine used to have a mini-14 years ago, and he ended up trading it in for an AR-15 (forget the brand). I like Ruger brand for revolvers, but not much else. I got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum, and its a great revolver, accurate too. I can pop milk jugs at 150 yards with my Blackhawk .357 magnum from a secured position. The Ruger Redhawk .44 magnums are also nice revolvers, and pretty accurate.

Some of the old thin barrel Mini-14s had accuracy issues (the barrels were thinner than even the 10-22). The ones made since about 2009 have thicker barrels and zero accuracy issues.

In a future world where there are no mail order gun parts, no above ground gun smiths, and having to defend my life with my weapon for years, I would take the stainless Mini-14 over the AR-15.

Last edited by Karl LaForce; March 13th, 2013 at 05:36 PM.

Old March 13th, 2013 #36
Sam Reeves
Happy Bigot

Quote:

Holy shit.
Two grand for a SKS? Twenry years ago one could get one for $50 and half the time they came with a spare mag and bayonet. I've probably owned six or seven of those. I wish like hell I would have sit on them now.

Old March 13th, 2013 #37
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

Spare mag? What kind of SKS was that?

Anyway, it's insane, everything we're producing is sold the minute we build it.

Old March 13th, 2013 #38
Sam Reeves
Happy Bigot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Thornberry View Post
Spare mag? What kind of SKS was that?
Once upon a time folks could afford to plink with the things. It was pretty common to have a higher volume mag handle if you wanted to convert it. I always like the ten round deal it came with since it made it less bulky. I've always preferred the Rusky gas piston design to the AR. I'm not going to argue that one is a better gun just that for my purposes the SKS/AK always worked out better for me since I tend to be too reckless to baby an AR and just too damn lazy to clean them all the time.
Quote:

Anyway, it's insane, everything we're producing is sold the minute we build it.
Sometimes I wonder if the domestic ammo companies are at least partially responsible for all this noise especially since they have cracked down on imported ammo.

Old March 13th, 2013 #39
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Government procurement ties up a large portion of domestic ammo production, keeping those companies awarded contracts from bringing any of said product to the shelves until the gov's order has been filled.

Old March 13th, 2013 #40
Sam Reeves
Happy Bigot

One would like to believe that under that laws of supply and demand that Acme Bullet Company would ramp up production and take advantage of hiring some of America's unemployed.

Thread