Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 24th, 2018 #1
steven clark

Default Lady Bird

Oscar time, and one film is Lady Bird, directed by Greta Gerwig, a semi-autobiographical look at growing up in Sacramento. Christine (Saoirse Ronan) is a senior at a Catholic high school, hates where she lives, her cold, crabby mother, and wants to go to New York. She also calls herself Lady Bird, and her desire for escape is contrasted with life as Christine lives it. Her fellow students and nuns who teach her can be seen as stiff and unappealing to Christine's hopes, but in this movie, everyone's human. They have flaws, but also are understandable characters.
Christine just can't break ice with her mother, who grew up in an abusive alcoholic household, is a nurse, and yet seems incapable of healing the rift between her and Christine. Where other directors would go for fireworks and rage, here we sense people who want to connect but can't.
Christine's father is loving but ineffectual.
I enjoyed seeing the multicultural world of Sacramento; not that I like it, but showing how a kid must have to cope with it. Christine has an adopted brother and sister, both asian, but i don't see a lot of love. The boy was adopted 'because he was being beaten up', and I sense a lot of the usual liberal ability to adopt racially different kids while unable to love your own, but again, it's not touchy-feely. The brother, when Christine is frank about things, calls her racist, like they all do. When her father, after a depressing stint of unemployment, goes to apply for a tech job…only to find his son competing for the same job, and being 'diverse' gives the kid an edge.
I also liked the Mother Superior; she was dealing with the present anti-Christian, unAmerican world of modern California, and serves as a quiet example to Christine. Christine does escape, but discovers that the world she came from stays with her in ways she hadn't realized, that as much as she enjoys escaping her mother, both need each other.
I liked how people here struggle and try to make do, and Saoirse Ronan gives a great performance. She and Laurie Metcalf, who plays her mother, show how mother and daughter can be unable to show affection to each other, but still impart some of their humanity to each other, as we and parents do, try to do, and somehow, we love.
I thought it a true and painful movie. But also has some laughs…like when the Mother Superior and a fellow nun drive off, and Christine puts shoes on the rear of their car with the sign…Just Married…brides of Christ

Old January 29th, 2018 #2
Susan

Greta Gerwig's boyfriend is Noah Baumbach, whose daddy is a kike. So sayeth wiki.

98% of Hollywood is jewed. Forget them. Maybe Peter Jackson will make another trilogy for White people.

Thread