VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 1st, 2009 #21
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Toshiba Fan

This is exactly like the Toshiba PSA60U-024015 that I fixed today. Put one drop of Mobil1 on the bearing on the stator and one drop on the shaft of the rotor. It will last forever. USE NO OTHER LUBRICANT!

Presumedly this fan drives a liquid heat exchanger which needs to have the dust blown out of its fins. This fan can be lubed without removing it from the heat exchanger. The rotor is held in only by magnetic attraction.

Most fans will have a rubber seal which conceals a "c" clip which must be removed to get the rotor out. In all cases, a repaired fan is better than a brand new one.

Old October 1st, 2009 #22
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Most laptops are built in the same factory.

Most screens are built in the same factory, then shipped to the laptop/monitor/television factories.

HP/Compac, Acer/Gateway, Lenovo, and Dell are the best brands to look for when buying a computer, in descending order. Of course in terms of quality Mac's are almost untouchable but the downside it being locked into their pathetic software. The best bang for your buck out there right now are the new HP Pavilion DV series. If you want something indestructable, go for a Lenovo. If you want a crappy toy, buy a Toshiba.

Old October 2nd, 2009 #23
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ainsworth View Post
Most laptops are built in the same factory.

Most screens are built in the same factory, then shipped to the laptop/monitor/television factories.

HP/Compac, Acer/Gateway, Lenovo, and Dell are the best brands to look for when buying a computer, in descending order. Of course in terms of quality Mac's are almost untouchable but the downside it being locked into their pathetic software.
Not anymore. As you can see, I can run Windows7 and any compatible software within Mac OS X snow leopard.

By the way, which Mac software(s) do think are pathetic? The only shitty Mac version of a software that is great on Windows I've used so far is uTorrent.

I've heard from a few people that Sony Vaio's are alright also.

Last edited by Dan_O; October 2nd, 2009 at 12:22 AM.

Old October 2nd, 2009 #24
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
This is exactly like the Toshiba PSA60U-024015 that I fixed today. Put one drop of Mobil1 on the bearing on the stator and one drop on the shaft of the rotor. It will last forever. USE NO OTHER LUBRICANT!

Presumedly this fan drives a liquid heat exchanger which needs to have the dust blown out of its fins. This fan can be lubed without removing it from the heat exchanger. The rotor is held in only by magnetic attraction.

Most fans will have a rubber seal which conceals a "c" clip which must be removed to get the rotor out. In all cases, a repaired fan is better than a brand new one.
You're pretty thick aren't you? I posted an image of the fan and there is no bearing anywhere in that design. It's not a repairable part.

Old October 2nd, 2009 #25
Thomas de Aynesworth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_O
Not anymore. As you can see, I can run Windows7 and any compatible software within Mac OS X snow leopard.
I always find it astonishing when people brag about their Macs being able to run Windows.

Windows 7 is really something else, though, so I don't blame you.
Quote:
I've heard from a few people that Sony Vaio's are alright also.
They are, but they are not without their flaws. I've seen plenty of them come into the store for repair, and at the same time we hardly sell any Vaios. When I see very little product moved, but a lot of it coming back with issues, I rate the quality of the product based on the feedback I see.

Old October 2nd, 2009 #26
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ainsworth View Post
I always find it astonishing when people brag about their Macs being able to run Windows.

Windows 7 is really something else, though, so I don't blame you.
Windows7 makes Vista seem like Windows ME. Almost right away you get the feeling that 7 is what Vista was supposed to be. I'm not trying to brag about the ability to run both, I just think both Apple and MS really hit the nail this time with both systems. Parallels makes it even better for people like me who prefer OS X but also need to run some Windows only software. Win7 also makes it that much more enjoyable. Of course both OS have features the other doesn't, but that seems to have always been the case.

Thread