VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 5th, 2013 #41
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Ah - didn't know you'd tried them. I've heard good reports about them but never tried them myself. I know they're not "happy pills" as such, but I know a lot of people have found themselves more balanced. I've used Rescue Remedy successfully in a firework-phobic puppy so I know it works and I have it in my head that they make other remedies for those with serotonin problems.

I think you're right in what you say with your last paragraph, but we all have life and reality to face and many cope. I don't know why some do and some don't. I don't think anyone can claim their life is perfect in every way but some people just seem able to accept what they have and make the most of it.
I've coped for 46 years and plan to keep coping; but I don't think I will ever be a happy idiot.

The differences in peoples' personalities determine what they do to cope; what sort of behavior they engage in to compensate themselves for the unpleasantness in their lives.

We all know that the ones who turn to physical exercise as a remedy for moodiness are the healthiest; but its easy for them to do that because they enjoy doing that. Those who don't do that are the ones who loathe that sort of thing; and I'm one of them. I just ride it out and deal with the fact that life isn't the way I want it to be.

I shouldn't have even let my doctor talk me into trying the Viibryd in the first place; but since it was new and I felt like I didn't have anything to lose, I thought, sure, okay, I'll give it a try. It hasn't done anything for me.

Old January 5th, 2013 #42
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

Don't drink caffeinated beverages , don't eat more carbs than you have to , drink water, get a gaming rig, play Battlefield 3.

Old January 5th, 2013 #43
volkszorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
I'm probably one of the very few non-Christian people in the Deep South who doesn't enjoy drinking, doesn't enjoy getting high,
Because you are choleric! You don't drink coffee either?

Old January 5th, 2013 #44
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.B. View Post
This subhuman is actually correct.

Through tens of thousands of years, humans lived in harsh environments which regularly pushed our physical and often mental limitations. You never had time to get depressed because you had too much going on. You had to be constantly "firing on all cylinders." If you slowed down, you died.

In our modern world, we have a much kinder, softer, gentler existence. It is this existence which gives rise and a whole host of mental and physical maladies which normally accompany an idle lifestyle - obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, many types of cancer, heart disease, depression, anxiety, etc.

In response, we have a gigantic parasitic medical-pharmaceutical cartel which preys on those who allow themselves to physically and mentally degenerate. The best return for the stockholders is created by treating the symptoms rather than the cure because this produces a steady revenue stream.

The best return for us individuals is to get ourselves mentally and physically fit so we are never dependent upon them.
Coping with all the things that you hate about life in addition to forcing yourself to do things you hate doing, vs. coping with things that you hate about life and not forcing yourself to do additional things that you hate doing is a pretty tough sell.

I'm going to stick with the latter approach.

We all die anyway.

Old January 5th, 2013 #45
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
LOL. I think the Aussie M.N. Dalvez might regret spinning off the not so popular spick(?) N.M. Dalvez's name when choosing his username.
Non, je ne regrette rien, as Edith Piaf would say, my Swedish friend.

Old January 5th, 2013 #46
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkszorn View Post
Because you are choleric! You don't drink coffee either?
No, I hate coffee. I drink a lot of tea though, on ice - I can't stand hot beverages.

Old January 5th, 2013 #47
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Thornberry View Post
Don't drink caffeinated beverages , don't eat more carbs than you have to , drink water, get a gaming rig, play Battlefield 3.
I've never been one for playing games. My teenage son enjoys them, but I just never got anything out of them.

Old January 5th, 2013 #48
Bev
drinking tea

Ever tried more cerebral games? (and before the gamers start whining, I'm not saying you're stupid, I mean chess etc. as opposed to shoot 'em ups.) For some reason I picture SLA as the type who would be good at chess and backgammon.

Old January 5th, 2013 #49
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

Quote:
I've never been one for playing games. My teenage son enjoys them, but I just never got anything out of them.
I wasn't all that into them either until I got a PC (before that I really enjoyed chess and played it a lot, ever since I just can't find many people to play with ) . The variety of things you can play is amazing.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

I've been playing this on and off since high school, hard to get into but very engaging.

Old January 5th, 2013 #50
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Ever tried more cerebral games? (and before the gamers start whining, I'm not saying you're stupid, I mean chess etc. as opposed to shoot 'em ups.) For some reason I picture SLA as the type who would be good at chess and backgammon.
I've just never been intrigued by games, or sports either for that matter. I will occasionally play a round or two of Spider on my PC when I am particularly bored and can't think of anything more mentally stimulating; but it's not something that I actually enjoy doing, just a small means of occasional diversion.

Old January 5th, 2013 #51
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.N. Dalvez View Post
Non, je ne regrette rien, as Edith Piaf would say, my Swedish friend.

Quote:
Coping with all the things that you hate about life in addition to forcing yourself to do things you hate doing, vs. coping with things that you hate about life and not forcing yourself to do additional things that you hate doing is a pretty tough sell.

I'm going to stick with the latter approach.

We all die anyway.
Many of these anti-depressants has been linked to lethargy, apathy, feeling of helplessness, etc... They're not nicknamed "tranquilizers" for no reason. You have a depressing outlook on life Steven, but I genuinely wish you the best of luck in trying to phase these meds out. You'll be better off for it. And if you listen to Bev's avatar's advice regarding beverage, then you'll really be golden. Think of it in symbolic terms: you threw the aspartame piss at the anti-dep peddler in the counter and said "ENOUGH. I'M DONE WITH THIS SHIT." (and as if that was not enough, you then proceeded to make one cop more racially aware with your tactful wit and humour.) What a day it was. Something to tell the grandkids about.

Old January 5th, 2013 #52
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

Quote:
I've just never been intrigued by games, or sports either for that matter. I will occasionally play a round or two of Spider on my PC when I am particularly bored and can't think of anything more mentally stimulating; but it's not something that I actually enjoy doing, just a small means of occasional diversion.
Check this out:

http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=139531

The pics got reformatted wrong by the board, to see them you just have to take th out of the link.

Old January 5th, 2013 #53
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Thornberry View Post
Check this out:

http://vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=139531

The pics got reformatted wrong by the board, to see them you just have to take th out of the link.
I've seen video games before. What you linked to appears tediously boring. My oldest son likes to play Skyrim and will sit and play it for hours. To me it is mind-numbing.

Old January 5th, 2013 #54
Nigel Thornberry
Ole' Cyber Crusher

Quote:
I've seen video games before. What you linked to appears tediously boring. My oldest son likes to play Skyrim and will sit and play it for hours. To me it is mind-numbing.
I agree, Skyrim is tedious and boring. I couldn't play it long either.

Old January 5th, 2013 #55
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskeniskyn View Post

Many of these anti-depressants has been linked to lethargy, apathy, feeling of helplessness, etc... They're not nicknamed "tranquilizers" for no reason. You have a depressing outlook on life Steve, but I genuinely wish you the best of luck in trying to phase these meds out. You'll be better off for it. And if you listen to Bev's avatars advice regarding beverage, then you'll really be golden. Think of it in symbolic terms: you threw the aspartame piss at the anti-dep peddler in the counter and said "ENOUGH. I'M DONE WITH THIS SHIT." (and as if that was not enough, you then proceeded to make one cop more racially aware with your tactful wit and humour.) What a day it was. Something to tell the grandkids about.
Hardly the high point of my career.

I just wanted to point out that when people who have been taking anti-depressants and then stop taking them, the withdrawals can very easily cause a person to snap and no longer have the ability to control themselves the way they normally would if they weren't experiencing withdrawals.

That might have something to do with some of the shooting sprees that we have seen in the news here lately.

I've weaned myself off of anti-depressants before so it's old hat to me. I've just never had to endure withdrawals because of not being able to get a prescription filled on time due to clerical incompetence and bad scheduling.

The side effects of coming off these SSRI's (which aren't tranquilizers BTW, that is something different) are very real and very dangerous, particularly when combined with added aggravation from people who insist on being asses.

I predict we have only begun to see the sort of havoc that will reign down on society as more and more people come to rely on anti-depressants and then for one reason or another aren't able to get them when they need to.

Old January 5th, 2013 #56
volkszorn

Quote:
No, I hate coffee. I drink a lot of tea though, on ice - I can't stand hot beverages.
No, i think the reason is because coffee or alcohol makes you aggressive

Old January 5th, 2013 #57
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:

I predict we have only begun to see the sort of havoc that will reign down on society as more and more people come to rely on anti-depressants and then for one reason or another aren't able to get them when they need to.
That's a good and worrying point, actually. Too often we've heard of people being prescribed say - antibiotics and painkillers for a tooth and only taking the painkillers because they can't afford both. It's not hard to see someone leaving off anti-depressants without realising they're dependent on them or that sudden withdrawals can cause problems. And if that person is violent or was disturbed/depressed in the first place - should be fun.

Old January 5th, 2013 #58
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Hardly the high point of my career.

I just wanted to point out that when people who have been taking anti-depressants and then stop taking them, the withdrawals can very easily cause a person to snap and no longer have the ability to control themselves the way they normally would if they weren't experiencing withdrawals.

That might have something to do with some of the shooting sprees that we have seen in the news here lately.
You're right about that. I'm taking a joking tone in this thread but it's really a very serious issue.

Quote:
I've weaned myself off of anti-depressants before so it's old hat to me. I've just never had to endure withdrawals because of not being able to get a prescription filled on time due to clerical incompetence and bad scheduling.

The side effects of coming off these SSRI's (which aren't tranquilizers BTW, that is something different) are very real and very dangerous, particularly when combined with added aggravation from people who insist on being asses.
Yes, sorry, didn't mean that literary. They have been called "tranquilizers" by critics who make the point that the only "anti-depressive" effect these SSRI meds can be said to have is the "anti-depressive" effect that you get from making the subject lethargic and apathetic and thus not able to feel much emotions at all.
Quote:
If you consider a scenario where tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands or even millions all of a sudden can't get their meds that they've grown accustomed too, it's hard not to share this gloomy concern for the future.

Old January 5th, 2013 #59
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkszorn View Post
No, i think the reason is because coffee or alcohol makes you aggressive
Benny Hulk - YouTube
I just never cared for the feeling of being drunk, and I've never liked the taste of coffee or drinking any beverage (including tea) hot.

But, you are partly right in that I also don't enjoy being irritated.

Old January 5th, 2013 #60
Tim

SSRI Stories - Antidepressant Nightmares

"This website is a collection of 4,800+ news stories with the full media article available, mainly criminal in nature, that have appeared in the media (newspapers, TV, scientific journals) or that were part of FDA testimony in either 1991, 2004 or 2006, in which antidepressants are mentioned."

Tags
bullshit thread

Thread