Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 30th, 2013 #1
Gordon Green
Banned

Default What happened to black family sitcoms on network TV?

Courtney Garcia

There once was a story all about how his life got flipped, turned upside down, but scroll through current programming, and the Fresh Prince is merely a late night forget-me-not.

In the past, television networks featured a variety of dynamic, funny and emblematic African-American families on popular sitcoms.

The Huxtables, Coopers, Wayans, and Winslows, Martin and Moesha and their respective companies, entered living rooms around the country and demonstrated the prolific and multifarious character of American blackness.

From the wealthy to the middle class, nerdy to hip-hop cool, black sitcoms thrived in all their glory throughout the late 1980s and ’90s.

Nowadays, well, these familial faces are reruns, and the African-American family has primarily been segregated to cable channels like OWN and BET.

Meanwhile at least six new primetime comedies have been added to the network slate, all of which center on white families and barely even throw a black couple into the mix.

“I just saw a billboard for Sean Hayes’ new show, and it was like five white people, then there’s that one black person on the end smiling,” Loni Love, comedian and co-host of the daytime talk show The Real, tells theGrio. “We’re going back to that one black on the end. We’re being good. We’re shaking it up. We’re being diverse…There needs to be more than just one token.”

Networks shift focus back to white families

During her many years in the business, Love has traversed the Hollywood system from the sidelines to the full frame.

She’s watched the TV landscape evolve as urban channels like UPN, the WB and the CW folded or morphed into something new, leaving behind programming that brought many black comedians into the spotlight.

With the demise of such channels, black writers similarly dwindled and therein brought a problem for today’s market.

“It seems as if the major networks, they feel like the black sitcom isn’t getting the ratings,” Love comments. “When all of those networks left, a lot of the black writers left too…I had gotten my first deal with HBO. I couldn’t get one black female to write with me because they all wanted to try to get on a so-called white show. A lot of the black female writers at the time felt like if we went to a network, and it’s you and I, it’s going to be deemed a black show. Fast forward to 2013, now you have no black shows, and you have this lack of black families on television.”

From the ’80s to now, the changing field of television is particularly surprising considering the country finally put a black family in the White House.

Progression somehow got halted by an illusion that the world evened itself out.

This fall, the networks will introduce a long list of sitcoms, including The Millers, The Goldbergs, Trophy Wife, Mom, Dads, and Surviving Jack.

If the titles reek of Caucasian, that’s because pretty much all the characters on the shows are white.

Considering there are no new or existing shows featuring black relationships, the contrast appears striking. Even Wikipedia includes the decline of the black sitcom in its citation for the genre, noting, “In the early 2010s, black sitcoms have faded away on broadcast/network television.”

What gives?

“This industry, it’s so tight,” Love observes. “There are maybe five or six executives that can sell a show. If you don’t get in with one of them, you’re not going to get your project in to be able to pitch. And then there are certain networks, you look at CBS, CBS hasn’t had a black sitcom since The Cosby Show. They say that we’re not their demographic. Then you have NBC, who has tried a couple of things but they’re faltering. And then ABC, I don’t know what ABC’s doing. They’re just like whatever. Fox, if you don’t know anybody right now, if you’re not in, you can’t get anything done.”

The repetitive cycle of Hollywood

Also unlike the past, Love says studios will no longer take risks on new talent.

“Even on SNL there hasn’t been a black woman since Maya Rudolph,” she explains. “It’s like they must think ain’t no black female out there funny.”

For Bob Sumner, producer of BET’s Comic View and co-creator of HBO’s Def Comedy Jam, the process of developing talent takes time. He agrees with Love that studios don’t want to give it.

“You keep seeing the same guys you already know over and over,” he says. “There’s some great talent out here that nobody’s taking advantage of…Remember when every time you turned around there was a great ensemble movie like a Friday, or House Party or Boomerang? We don’t even get that anymore.”

Nor are there pastiche cultural series such as A Different World, Living Single and In Living Color.

Family-driven comedies have become focused more on trending ideologies like gay marriage or single parenting.

“Because of the success of Modern Family, now every show is focusing on gays, which is cool but it’s like everybody’s trying to follow the next,” says Sumner. “There’s so much going on where it’s like America is all tied into one. So it really needs to be more, not just African-American visibility, but as a whole, we need to see more than just the George Lopez show.”

Love echoes that sentiment, commenting, “I feel sorry mostly for the Asians.”

Scouting out fresh comedic talent

Without incubators shows, Sumner believes it’s harder to get network support for new comedians.

Back in the day, a lot of comics spawned their own programming after debuting on variety shows, such as Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence, Bernie Mac, Tracy Morgan and Mo’Nique, to name a few.

“There’s not really a platform,” he points out. “Kevin Hart isn’t new. Kevin Hart won a contest I had along with DeRay Davis and Mike Epps back in the mid-’90s, but everybody’s looking at these guys like they’re fresh off the block. Deon Cole has a show on TBS now; Deon’s been around forever.”

Looking inside the casting scene provides more insight.

David Hunter, an African-American actor based in Los Angeles, feels creating his own material has been the best way to break ground in Hollywood.

Hunter stars in a new sitcom pilot, Very Smart Brothas, a show about two twenty-something black guys based on a blog of the same name.

It was initially developed as a web series before early buzz led creators to gear it for television. It will premiere at New York Television Festival in October, where the aim is to be picked up via a less traditional approach.

“We felt like having the control in our hands,” Hunter remarks. “To be seen in a different light, you have to write the material yourself and you have to show people on your own.”

Specifically, Hunter learned about Hollywood expectations during one of his first auditions six years ago, when he performed a monologue in a British accent for casting directors.

“After my monologue, the casting director told me ‘Wow, I wasn’t expecting that. I can really see you on a show like Prison Break,’” the actor recalls. “In my mind, I was like what about my British monologue says Prison Break? It was something I didn’t understand at the time, and something that stood out to me.”

The ‘Housewives’ create collateral damage

Hunter believes reality shows have altered the field of network comedy.

The success of series like Basketball Wives and Love & Hip Hop indicates to producers that this is the image of the black family America wants to see.

“Those shows are cheap to make, and they keep getting ratings for us,” he comments. “Why should we put a Fresh Prince out when you guys will keep watching this? Not to knock those individuals, but you think about real actors…Actors aren’t getting work because of those particular shows.”

Love adds, “The reason black reality shows are a success is because urban people want to see urban people. They do. They will see them in any type of form.”

A Shonda Rhimes for comedy?

From Love’s perspective, comedy needs a producer like Shonda Rhimes to champion African-American sitcoms in the way she’s diversified the dramatic field.

“That’s what’s not happening in comedy,” Love points out.

Further, while beneficial, it’s not enough for a black sitcom to be on smaller cable channels because the quality and scope don’t compare due to budget limitations.

Sumner says he’s working on a platform through his LAFF MOBB comedy venture, which will nurture new talent and hopefully steer networks in a fresh direction.

“I really, really think the opportunity for the African-American in a sitcom is available if people would just take a chance,” he believes.

Acknowledging the popularity of The Real, a talk show led solely by young, progressive women of color, Love says public demand is there, too.

“We have to show the networks that we are interesting and we are funny and we are marketable,” she says. “We’re not going to stop. We’re not going anywhere. I’m going to keep trying.”

Old September 30th, 2013 #2
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

All of todays TV is nigger and Spic filthy,way beyond any level of sanity or acceptance.

Old October 1st, 2013 #3
Gordon Green
Banned

Did Deshawn give that the thumbs down? Why would an ADL plant nick it? I thought Jews hated black entertainment TV unless they profit off of it.

Old October 1st, 2013 #4
DeShawn S. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Green View Post
Did Deshawn give that the thumbs down? Why would an ADL plant nick it? I thought Jews hated black entertainment TV unless they profit off of it.
No, sir, I did not. I wish there were more shows on like the COsby Show these days, but the jews would rather pump filth into the minds of black youth.

PEACE

Old October 2nd, 2013 #5
The Bobster
Banned

Ah, yes, a jew fantasy starring a serial rapist will make the yoofs behave.

Old October 2nd, 2013 #6
Karl LaForce

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeShawn S. Williams View Post
No, sir, I did not. I wish there were more shows on like the COsby Show these days, but the jews would rather pump filth into the minds of black youth.

PEACE
I think you are right about the jews preferring to produce filth than clean programming. Advertising revenue is another factor. He who pays the piper calls the tune. I think if advertisers were willing to pay for new shows like the Cosby show then they would be on the air.

Jews want to keep blacks and Whites at an animal level.

Old December 2nd, 2013 #7
Jason 916
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dey all moved on up to da east side an ain't interestin' no mo.

Old December 2nd, 2013 #8
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

Once upon a time, all TV shows were generally white, and generally wholesome.

There was a concerted effort to portray blacks on TV as normal and wholesome, facing the same problems of life. This objective was in support of the multicultural effort, ie - propaganda. This effort was successful. Our children believed the TV myth, and now interracial relationships are at an all time high. Time to move on to the next step.

Queers on TV. We are now seeing this pushed on TV to portray them as 'loving, quirky, hip, and funny' - pushing their lifestyle as one to strive for. The objective is the same - supporting the multicultural effort, creating propaganda to convince our children (through pop culture) that homosexuality is normal, acceptable, and even something to try themselves. Our children are believing this TV myth, and open homosexuality is at an all time high. Homosexuals even have their own versions of PLE's across the country.

Couple this with shows that depict whites in the worst possible light (Housewifes, Amish Mafia, Dads, etc) - TV is nothing but a propaganda tool to portray everything non-white and 'alternative' as normal and wholesome while depicting traditional white families as completely disfunctional and something to scorn.

Old December 2nd, 2013 #9
quorthon

Black families are out,interracial families are in.

Old December 3rd, 2013 #10
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr A.Anderson View Post
Once upon a time, all TV shows were generally white, and generally wholesome.

There was a concerted effort to portray blacks on TV as normal and wholesome, facing the same problems of life. This objective was in support of the multicultural effort, ie - propaganda. This effort was successful. Our children believed the TV myth, and now interracial relationships are at an all time high. Time to move on to the next step.

Queers on TV. We are now seeing this pushed on TV to portray them as 'loving, quirky, hip, and funny' - pushing their lifestyle as one to strive for. The objective is the same - supporting the multicultural effort, creating propaganda to convince our children (through pop culture) that homosexuality is normal, acceptable, and even something to try themselves. Our children are believing this TV myth, and open homosexuality is at an all time high. Homosexuals even have their own versions of PLE's across the country.

Couple this with shows that depict whites in the worst possible light (Housewifes, Amish Mafia, Dads, etc) - TV is nothing but a propaganda tool to portray everything non-white and 'alternative' as normal and wholesome while depicting traditional white families as completely disfunctional and something to scorn.
Now this one deserves, no, demands, a reposting.

Right on the button, Mister A; a good man you are.

Old December 4th, 2013 #11
littlefieldjohn

Old December 6th, 2013 #12
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeShawn S. Williams View Post
I wish there were more shows on like the COsby Show these days...
Ah, yes! Cosby -- the hit show which portrayed blacks as being hygenic and health conscious, polite and courteous, studious and well-educated, hardworking and self-sufficient, reputable and law-abiding, virtuous and trustworthy; in other words, the typical black American family. Iz dat wutchu be talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Old December 6th, 2013 #13
quorthon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthaus Hetzenauer View Post
Ah, yes! Cosby -- the hit show which portrayed blacks as being hygenic and health conscious, polite and courteous, studious and well-educated, hardworking and self-sufficient, reputable and law-abiding, virtuous and trustworthy; in other words, the typical black American family. Iz dat wutchu be talkin' 'bout, Willis?
It let's poor black Willy live out his fantasy of the existence of a healthy black family(as if!) in the only way he can.

Old December 7th, 2013 #14
Jason 916
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Cosbys were anomalies. Even to black people. Dey wuzn't "keepin' it real" enough.

Old December 8th, 2013 #15
John from Canada
Banned

White people don't want to see niggers on the TV.

Old December 8th, 2013 #16
James Dovery

Gay is the new black.

Last edited by James Dovery; December 8th, 2013 at 04:21 PM.

Old December 8th, 2013 #17
Robert Ransdell

I would say the Jews greed might have worked against them as far as formulating propaganda that paints Blacks as our "equals", that along with their arrogance that they have everyone either brainwashed or intimidated to the point where they won't question the multicult agenda has resulted in what I would equate as a few hiccups with regard to keeping the sheep in line, there are shows on TV now that I almost question how they manage to make it on air. I think it comes down to the fact that they simply don't care what the 5% of the people who can see think, especially when so few amongst them are really willing to do anything about it.

Why pay Carl Winslow or whatever his name was, or Urkel, money to star on a show, along with all the writers, camera people, set people, etc all the money they demanded when they can air shows that are more entertaining and cost way less money.

Blacks are still in TV shows. They don't have to pay the niggers who show up at that pawn shop in Detroit and go ape on Hardcore Pawn. They also don't have to pay those niggers stealing cars on bait car, I don't even think they pay the police involved to ride along with them as they catch the niggers.

They still have their propaganda shows, but they get away with not paying actors in those productions as well. Ever caught this show 'What Would You Do"? I have only watched a couple segments and now avoid it altogether, the whole thing is just intense and blatant propaganda and it makes me mad, I don't like watching things when I know they will make me mad. But it looked like they only paid some fat Mexican to show up and tell the random citizen caught on camera that they were just on the show. Yeah they pay some actors to do the scenario but that is probably next to nothing, they are not Hollywood actors demanding Hollywood money. Couple cameramen and you have it, the population was taught to think of Blacks as non-threatening decent folk through the Cosby Show and the Urkel show but now it is simply an overt peer pressure type thing with the Jew just blatantly saying "goyim this is right and this is wrong" of course through some fat Mexican TV show host.

Old December 8th, 2013 #19
ericthered
Idle Anger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthaus Hetzenauer View Post
Now this one deserves, no, demands, a reposting.

Right on the button, Mister A; a good man you are.
Nothing from this turd demands reposting. He has no original thoughts, he just regurgitates that which has already been said. He's does pretty good at it, many here are snowed by it.

Old December 9th, 2013 #20
Crowe

Will Smith looks like a flaming faggot in that picture.

Thread