Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 31st, 2013 #21
keifer

The military blanket.
The Italian Officers blanket are regarded as the best.

In this video DC shows away of utilizing the blanket into a pack.
This method worked out well for me, although I did not push its load barring limits. Try it out for yourself.

This blanket wrap never really seems to work out 100%, but with a bed of pine boughs I manage.

Old March 31st, 2013 #22
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

I was digging through my duffle bag the other day for some odd reason looking for a particular piece of gear. Inside I found my poncho, poncho liner, PT pad, and waterproof bag.

If you aren't familiar with the poncho liner, aka "woobie", you don't know what you are missing! While not as warm as a wool blanket (most agree it is good down to about 60 degrees), it is much lighter (21.5 oz), and has ties that can be used to attach to a MilSpec poncho - which can be used as a waterproof blanket at that point, or as a measure of insulation if you are using your poncho as a shelter.

Quote:
A poncho liner is a piece of field gear originating in the United States military intended to provide warmth in mild temperatures used as an expedient sleeping bag when attached to the standard issue poncho by means of integral lengths of material which are looped through the poncho's eyelets.
[edit]Construction

The poncho liner consists of two layers of quilted nylon encasing a polyester loft filling. Most examples are a variation of olive drab on one side and camouflage on the other, either ERDL pattern in earlier examples or the later Woodland pattern, as well as the MARPAT and Universal Camouflage Pattern most recently. Commercial copies include features like thinsulate batting, a zippered edge and come in a greater range of colors
[edit]Opinions amongst the troops

Troops generally hold the poncho liner in high regard, as a very useful piece of equipment, light and packable yet reasonably warm. Some military personnel refer to the poncho liner as a "woobie" showing the same attachment an infant has for its blanket. Many servicemen and women go through great lengths to find ways to keep their poncho liners as long as possible, even after they have left the military. The poncho liner found wide acceptance amongst US troops in Vietnam, providing just enough warmth for cool tropical nights but light and small. It is especially popular today in the age of 100-pound rucks and bulky Modular Sleep Systems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poncho_liner

Old March 31st, 2013 #23
Mr A.Anderson
Banned

The PT pad (physical training) is a thin foam pad that was used for multiple purposes - most commonly as a pad to lie on the ground during physical training (during IET training) and as a thin mattress to sleep on in conjunction with a cot or a barrier while sleeping on the ground.

U.S. Army Government Issue Foam Sleeping Pad, Made in the U.S.A. Specs: 24" x 72". These are used by our troops to protect them from moisture, stones, and cold while sleeping on the ground.

They are a closed cell foam mat and they protect against cold, moisture, and small objects on the ground.

The mats are approximately 72” long and 24” wide. They are 3/8” thick and they weigh about 1 pound. Of course, they are green in color. These mats have two straps at the bottom to secure them in a tight roll when not in use. The roll is approximately 6” in diameter when tied. These mats are designed to withstand the very harsh and rugged abuse of battlefield conditions therefore, they should provide you with years and years of service under most any conditions you may find.

Old April 8th, 2013 #24
Simmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by keifer View Post
It is fairly common for the ferro rod to fall out of the handle. Some people make their own handles from antlers, bone,wood.
I have one with an antler handle myself.

Has arrived.
Your thumbs are Hill air e us.

Old April 13th, 2013 #25
Simmon

swedish torch/stove

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kFKzvWDeiFc

Has arrived.
Your thumbs are Hill air e us.

Old April 18th, 2013 #26
Hugh
Holorep survivor

Thread