VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 13th, 2008 #1
Summer
WN Mother

Default Past/Present Pregnant Mom's

Not sure if this is the place to post this but I was just wondering if anyone has any good remedies for morning sickness? Also, morning sickness while riding trains.

I have heard of saltines, ginger, all these types of pills, popsicle's, lemons, etc. The only thing that I have found that seems to work is ginger. Ginger tea, ginger cookies, etc. All I drink is ginger tea, water and gatorade, but I do not want to be stuffing my face with cookies. So, I was wondering if anyone has any other remedies that would work? I live in Ireland so all the medications they have in America they don't have here.

Also something to use while traveling.

P.S. No drugs. No pills. Only white doctor approved vitamins, like folic acid, if there are any types of vitamins out there for this issue.

Last edited by Summer; September 13th, 2008 at 09:56 AM.

Old September 13th, 2008 #2
Amy

I have been very lucky in that I haven't experienced any morning sickness at all. During the first month or so, I'd get a little heartburn after taking my prenatal vitamin, but even that's been gone for months now.

If I did feel slighty quesy, it was usually because I hadn't eaten, so I'd grab a piece of fruit or a carrot, and feel better.

This has been such an easy pregnancy this first time around, that I can't wait to do it all over again.

I agree with you on the anti-nausea pills. Dont' ever take them, regardless of how safe they're claimed to be. It's just not worth the chance.

How far along are you Summer? I'm now four and half months.... Time is flying now, after going so slow in the beginning.

Old September 13th, 2008 #3
colleen

Never had morning/evening sickness when I was pregnant.
But, I have heard apple cider vinegar can help.

Old September 13th, 2008 #4
Summer
WN Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Fraser View Post
I have been very lucky in that I haven't experienced any morning sickness at all. During the first month or so, I'd get a little heartburn after taking my prenatal vitamin, but even that's been gone for months now.

If I did feel slighty quesy, it was usually because I hadn't eaten, so I'd grab a piece of fruit or a carrot, and feel better.

This has been such an easy pregnancy this first time around, that I can't wait to do it all over again.

I agree with you on the anti-nausea pills. Dont' ever take them, regardless of how safe they're claimed to be. It's just not worth the chance.

How far along are you Summer? I'm now four and half months.... Time is flying now, after going so slow in the beginning.
My first pregnancy, with my daughter, was a good one. I was fine, no nausea or anything, until about 5 months. When 5 months hit I starting getting incredible back pain and lots of bad dizzy spells. But other than that it was a good one. Oh yeah I didn't get any sleep either, just like now, and I am only in the beginning of it. No drugs either when I had her, pure natural. OUCH!

I won't start taking prenatal vitamins until I am 4 months pregnant. They say it increases the nausea feeling so I need to stay clear of that. My daughter is only 13 months now, so taking care of her while running to the bathroom every 30 seconds isn't up on my list. Aww she is a great, beautiful little girl. Always smiling.

I am not sure how far I am. I am guessing around 6 weeks. They say morning sickness kicks in between 4 - 6 weeks, so estimating here. We had to estimate during my first pregnancy as well. Who keeps track of their menstrual cycles? (Sorry boys.)

I remember with her I kept saying do I look pregnant every week, because you couldn't tell until I got about 5 months, I believe. So that was slow but the ending had its days. When I wasn't in back pain it went fast.

Congrats on being preggies!

Old September 13th, 2008 #5
Summer
WN Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen View Post
Never had morning/evening sickness when I was pregnant.
But, I have heard apple cider vinegar can help.
Thanks Colleen. I will have to try that one out when I return.

It's an old wives tale here, everyone thinks I am having a boy because I wasn't sick with my daughter.

Old October 7th, 2008 #6
Summer
WN Mother

I went to get my scan today, too early to tell if my baby is a boy or a girl, but they did tell me I am about 10 weeks and 4 days.

Thought I was further along. :x

Old October 7th, 2008 #7
Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer View Post
I went to get my scan today, too early to tell if my baby is a boy or a girl, but they did tell me I am about 10 weeks and 4 days.

Thought I was further along. :x
I went for my first at 13 weeks, and was amazed at how developed he/she was. I guess I was thinking that it would still be a little jelly bean.

Here's a 10 week one, and I see the same thing. A little person who just has a lot of growing to do.

Old October 7th, 2008 #8
Summer
WN Mother

My little one was bouncing around today and moving his/her arms and legs around. I was so excited! Good feeling I must say.

Old October 7th, 2008 #9
Jett Rink
Banned

You get morning sickness because you are lacking in nutrients.

Vitamins and pills dont work as effectively as claimed.

You need food with many trace minerals processed by the plants themselves, unfortunately commercial food is grown in soil with no nutrients except for nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. Wheat (a main staple in peoples diets) is spiked with chemical vitamins and inorganic minerals to keep people from dying of malnutrition from eating it.

Old October 7th, 2008 #10
Summer
WN Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
You get morning sickness because you are lacking in nutrients.

Vitamins and pills dont work as effectively as claimed.

You need food with many trace minerals processed by the plants themselves, unfortunately commercial food is grown in soil with no nutrients except for nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium. Wheat (a main staple in peoples diets) is spiked with chemical vitamins and inorganic minerals to keep people from dying of malnutrition from eating it.
There are a lot of reasons for morning sickness. Increase in hormones, low blood sugar, an increase in progesterone, an increase in human chorionic gonadotropin, an increase in sensitivity to odors, the body's effort to detoxify thoroughly for the health of the unborn child and others.

I do not take vitamins nor pills. Actually you are not allowed to take anything while pregnant even if you are sick. I get my nutrients from vegetables, fruit and meat. All the meals I have I prepare myself, except for the occasions where I am not at nor near my home and I have to eat out, yet I still eat healthy.

My breakfasts tend to be 1 egg and some form of starch, either a bagel or a piece of Irish soda bread. A few hours later I might have a bowl of healthy wheat cereal (for fiber, one thing a woman must have while pregnant.) Lunch would be a sandwich with meat, lettuce and tomatoes. As for dinner I generally eat either steaks or fish. I am sick of chicken so I haven't been eating that as often. Always have to have vegetables. With steaks I general have carrots, parsnips, potatoes or sweet potatoes, white onions and peppers. With fish I will have white onions, tomatoes, carrots, rice or potatoes. I eat relatively healthy and if I am craving sugar I might have a cookie or some kind of candy to suck on. I eat handfuls of fruit throughout the day, mostly grapes. They are my favorite fruit and cantaloupe but they are hard to find here. Since I have become pregnant I am hungrier more often so I try to make my meals small and eat every 2 hours. Instead of a whole bagel I would have half, instead of a whole sandwich I would have half, etc etc.

I only gained 14 pounds during my first pregnancy, so I am not worried about over doing it. My morning sickness has dimmed down now. It is not as bad as it was and (not to sound gross for the kiddies out there) I threw up one day 5 times and 3 times since, so I am generally nauseous. I find it hard to throw up, doesn't come easy for me. That's a good sign.

Anyways thanks for your input!

Old October 7th, 2008 #11
Jett Rink
Banned

Your diet is awful Summer, from a nutritional standpoint.

You need to be consuming walnuts or pumpkin seeds and flax seed for your baby to get the two most important essential fatty acids.

And you should order this http://www.trccorp.com/liquidLife.html to get the minerals that are not present in commercially grown food.

Vitamins do not work without the minerals to activate them.

Minerals are the most important and most overlooked nutrients.

Old October 7th, 2008 #12
Summer
WN Mother

Quote:
Your diet is awful Summer, from a nutritional standpoint.

You need to be consuming walnuts or pumpkin seeds and flax seed for your baby to get the two most important essential fatty acids.

And you should order this http://www.trccorp.com/liquidLife.html to get the minerals that are not present in commercially grown food.

Vitamins do not work without the minerals to activate them.

Minerals are the most important and most overlooked nutrients.
I wouldn't call my eating habits a 'diet.' That is too cliche. No offense. Yet this is what I eat even when I am not pregnant but less often.

I don't consider my 'diet' to be awful. I think it is better than most people's. Yes I could add more into my 'diet.' I didn't list everything I eat. When I have a bowl of cereal I add nuts to it, almonds and walnuts. There is a health food store here that I go to which sells a mixed cereal of nuts and honey coated oats which I will also add to my bowl. And I always have a small bag of that mixed nuts and oats cereal and carrots in my bag if I leave my house. I am not going to go into hysterics about eating the best I can. I am eating fine. I am not overweight and I am taking in my vitamins and protein daily. I don't live off of McDonald's or greasy foods. I don't like being a fanatic about these such things.

Old October 7th, 2008 #13
Jett Rink
Banned

Get yourself a mini blender like the "Magic Bullet" and put in some pumpkin seeds, flax seed, the liquid minerals and distilled water (no chlorine) and grind it all up until relatively smooth in consistency and drink that every day. No taste, but its full of nutrients your baby will need.

Last edited by Jett Rink; October 7th, 2008 at 04:49 PM.

Old October 7th, 2008 #14
Summer
WN Mother

Quote:
Get yourself a mini blender like the "Magic Bullet" and put in some pumpkin seeds, flax seed, the liquid minerals and distilled water (no chlorine) and grind it all up until relatively smooth in consistency and drink that every day. No taste, but its full of nutrients your baby will need.
I would have to cautiously approach the liquid mineral substance as I am not allowed to take many things. I will try it if I am permitted. Either that or no biggy in just eating these things by the handful!

I also make homemade granola bars that consist of flax seeds, walnuts other mixed nuts, pumpkin seeds, etc. With only a teeny bit of honey and cinnamon mixed in. Good stuff! I make bread as well with these things but not too often. I eat well. :P

Old October 7th, 2008 #15
Stronza

Not all vitamin/mineral supplements are useless. "Vitamin Code" made by Garden of Life may be of some benefit.

Old December 16th, 2008 #16
Summer
WN Mother

I found out today we are expecting another girl. Had an ultrasound done and she was hyper as can be, hopping around inside of me. When I questioned what the sex of our baby would be, it took her quite awhile to figure out and the nurse stated: "You're baby is not cooperating with me." In response I said, must be another little girl! lol.

Old December 17th, 2008 #17
Summer
WN Mother

No more morning sickness, but I have been sick twice so far this pregnancy. This pregnancy is running a lot differently than my first one, which made me think I was having a boy. (Wife's tales.) But it is another girl indeed! Oh a house full of women, poor daddy. lol

Thread