ranks thin as college costs skyrocket

By Marie Szaniszlo
Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - Updated: 08:13 AM EST

Universities across the country are losing students because they are
academically unprepared and can’t afford the rising cost of college
, according
to a new federal report.

A commission formed by U.S. Education Secretary Margaret Spellings found
that too much time is being spent at colleges and universities on remedial work because many students have not mastered the basics.

“There is an urgent need for change in America’s higher education system,”
Spellings said yesterday. “We know higher education is the key to our
children’s future and the American dream, yet it is becoming more unaffordable
and less attainable.‘’

The commission also found that the literacy among college graduates over
the past decade has declined, while the cost of tuition and fees has steadily
increased

Those costs are among the main reasons that recent high school graduates
attending a four-year college full time are no longer the norm, the commission
found.

Instead, a growing number of students are choosing courses at different
schools and not necessarily pursuing degrees.

And the consequences, the commission concluded, are far-reaching.

Ninety percent of the fastest-growing jobs require post-secondary education,
Spellings said, but only one-third of Americans have a degree,

Internationally, the United States has dropped from first to 12th among
highly industrialized nations in terms of the percentage of its citizens with
college degrees
, the commission noted.

“Business leaders know (getting a degree) is essential to the future of our
economy,” said Stephen Tocco, state Board of Higher Education chairman.

Old October 24th, 2006 #2
Itz_molecular
Banned

This is largely thanks to 'federal student loans ' , which is little more than a subsidy to colleges . Paid for , by making students perpetual debt slaves to their college loans.

Contrast this with Finland , which has made college free to all citizens . Since it's implementation , Finland has gone for one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the richest, in less than two decades .

In a true White Meritocracy , unlimited education would be free to all capable students and serious financial stipends and incentives to those of exceptional ability . Just the opposite of the United States system .

Old October 24th, 2006 #3
Itz_molecular
Banned

Quote:
Internationally, the United States has dropped from first to 12th among
highly industrialized nations in terms of the percentage of its citizens with
college degrees, the commission noted.
That 'drop' is in direct proportion to the degree of 'integration' that has been forced upon the American Educational System . There is a direct inverse correlation , the more integration , the lower the educational achievements .

Old October 24th, 2006 #4
centerfire

Quote:
“Business leaders know (getting a degree) is essential to the future of our
economy,” said Stephen Tocco, state Board of Higher Education chairman.
...Well, this is true enough. However there are a lot more people with degrees now than there were in the olden days of, say, 25 - 30+ years ago. Back then simply having a bahelor's degree was quite a ticket. What is not mentioned is that increasingly businesses and government are focusing not so much on whether an applicant has a degree but what kind of degree one has. Degrees in the social sciences and humanities are essentially not worth the paper they're written, on unless you go to grad. school (yet more loans & $ for the universities) and specialize. Just about the only 4 year degrees worth getting any more are in engineering, math, chem/biochem (maybe),comp. sci. (maybe), and accounting/finance/management... and even these areas are beginning to demand graduate educational experience.

Last edited by centerfire; October 25th, 2006 at 09:01 PM.

Old October 25th, 2006 #5
centerfire

Any other bachelor's degrees worth getting, in themselves, at this point?

Old October 25th, 2006 #6
Kievsky

As I've said for a long time, I can't wait to see the smug professor pigs who have caused so much damage, to suffer the blowback from the Hell they helped construct in their "march through the institutions."

I can't wait for these Howard Zinn types to have to actually get a real job in the real world. I'll see them around, and I'll mock the hell out of them. They have no "marketable skills," and they lack the mental toughness for the Amerikwan service industry.

Old October 27th, 2006 #7
alex
Left-wing NS

Whats even worse is that our school system gets "americanized" too.

Up to 1 or 2 years ago education in Germany was entirely free of charge. Now college fees are introduced starting with 1600 per year. Still, not much compared to the US and the UK but it will get worse. Already colleges and universities in the german state of North Rhine Westfalia (NRW) have informed that 5% less students wrote themselves up for college/university in 2006 than the year before.

Many, especially from the poorer working class families are thinking twice before signing up for college. At the same time the number of jobs that do not need a college degree increasingly fall.
In the age of Globalization,its not the international Left,but the nationalist Right,which is the true anticapitalist force,which will set restrictions on the international Capital and will secure and improve the nation-state as a social shelter.

Old October 27th, 2006 #8
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz_molecular
That 'drop' is in direct proportion to the degree of 'integration' that has been forced upon the American Educational System . There is a direct inverse correlation , the more integration , the lower the educational achievements .

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Itz_molecular again.

OFTEN THE SIMPLEST STATEMENTS ARE THE MOST TRUTHFUL.

Old November 8th, 2006 #9
Whitefist

Quote:
This is largely thanks to 'federal student loans ' , which is little more than a subsidy to colleges . Paid for , by making students perpetual debt slaves to their college loans.

Contrast this with Finland , which has made college free to all citizens . Since it's implementation , Finland has gone for one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the richest, in less than two decades .

In a true White Meritocracy , unlimited education would be free to all capable students and serious financial stipends and incentives to those of exceptional ability . Just the opposite of the United States system .
Perhaps, perhaps not.

I think in Finland's case, it's fair to say that Finland is still a "White" nation, and so, it really shouldn't surprise us that by making a collegiate education available universally the Whites take full advantage of that. Then again, is the unlimited education the actual direct reason for Finland's prosperity???

I'm more inclined to see institutions of "higher learning" shrink and available to fewer and fewer, even in a WNist government/nation, because frankly I don't think there are that many that will ever need or have the capacity for "higher learning." AND THAT's AMONG WHITES!

We can go back to the apprentice system for MOST trades/professions/work, and that will probably suffice. Institutions of higher learning should be reserved only for grooming the future White ruling elites, Plato's Guardian Class if you will.

Old November 8th, 2006 #10
Whitefist

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerfire
...Well, this is true enough. However there are a lot more people with degrees now than there were in the olden days of, say, 25 - 30+ years ago. Back then simply having a bahelor's degree was quite a ticket. What is not mentioned is that increasingly businesses and government are focusing not so much on whether an applicant has a degree but what kind of degree one has. Degrees in the social sciences and humanities are essentially not worth the paper they're written, on unless you go to grad. school (yet more loans & $ for the universities) and specialize. Just about the only 4 year degrees worth getting any more are in engineering, math, chem/biochem (maybe),comp. sci. (maybe), and accounting/finance/management... and even these areas are beginning to demand graduate educational experience.
Well said, most Kwa colleges have become very expensive paper mills...
The mob was heading in, to ransack and loot the apartments of the terrified old men and women. When the troopers arrived, M-16s at the ready, the mob threatened and cursed, but the mob retreated. It had met the one thing that could stop it: force, rooted in justice, backed by courage.-1992 Republican National Convention Speech, Houston, Texas, by Patrick J. Buchanan August 17, 1992

Old November 10th, 2006 #11
Itz_molecular
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefist

I'm more inclined to see institutions of "higher learning" shrink and available to fewer and fewer, even in a WNist government/nation, because frankly I don't think there are that many that will ever need or have the capacity for "higher learning." AND THAT's AMONG WHITES!
I disagree ! The vast majority of Whites can profit from post secondary education . There is so much latent , rusting capacity in White people . Much is stunted by this 'anti-intelligence' society .... It just ain't kewl to be bright .

Old November 10th, 2006 #12
Whitefist

Lightbulb

Quote:
I disagree ! The vast majority of Whites can profit from post secondary education . There is so much latent , rusting capacity in White people . Much is stunted by this 'anti-intelligence' society .... It just ain't kewl to be bright .
I think if we ever had the ability to recreate an actual "education" system, then perhaps the idea of advanced schooling would become worthwhile to pursue.

But I do stand by my initial statement, which is that the masses can by and large be trained, apprenticed, to perform whatever tasks society demands. And I think that holds true for such "professions" as lawyers, and such. Which btw is how it used to be done before the jew figured out Whites could be coerced into spending 4 years and 100k going to law school to be "licensed" to "practice law."

And for the most part, I think the White Mass Man would be content to be so trained. Most people don't concern themselves with larger issues or deeper questions. Most people prefer not to have to think, and a consequence of this is that jews have easily managed to gain control over us.

Old November 10th, 2006 #13
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefist
I tend to agree with just a couple of provisions. There are simply too many colleges in this country. It may sound impressive to hear that 30% of all Americans have a bachelors degree, but it becomes laughable when you realize that the vast majority of those degrees are in worthless liberal arts. It's even funnier when you discover that a large number of college graduates are unable to properly fill out a job application, much less a resume.

A college education should never be a "right," and the gov't should almost never be involved in paying for it. I will accept gov't funding for the so-called State Schools; but PELL grants and other types of gov't funding to individuals should be cut by 90% and made available only to the brightest minds, who are pursuing degrees that benefit the common good. Medicine and engineering are about the only two that come to mind that meet that requirement.

The biggest problem with the entire kwa education system is promoting students just for the sake of promoting, whether or not they have mastered the expectations of a particular grade. It started in the 60's for the sole benefit of niggers and is now the norm at almost all public schools. At many colleges, a student's freshman year is now spent taking remedial english and math courses... being taught things they should have learned in the 7th grade. Is it any wonder that a masters degree is now expected by a lot of employers? Earning a bachelors degree was once a major life's accomplishment. Realistically, today's bachelors degree holder has the equivalent education that would have been expected of a high school graduate in the 40's.

Last edited by odin; November 10th, 2006 at 08:45 PM.

Old November 11th, 2006 #14
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

I'm putting two kids through college now and would encourage any white person who believes they possess the ability to go on and continue their higher education.

Certainly there are a lot of negatives to the current college system,but as of this time education seems to be one of the best methods for securing a better future.

Nonwhites will continue to pursue all the free give aways they possibly can achieve and whites will continue to pay records prices for everything,as we always have.Expect no changes for the better, and when YOU graduate have no mercy on those who attempted to deter and misdirect you.

Old November 11th, 2006 #15
Whitefist

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin
I tend to agree with just a couple of provisions. There are simply too many colleges in this country. It may sound impressive to hear that 30% of all Americans have a bachelors degree, but it becomes laughable when you realize that the vast majority of those degrees are in worthless liberal arts. It's even funnier when you discover that a large number of college graduates are unable to properly fill out a job application, much less a resume.

A college education should never be a "right," and the gov't should almost never be involved in paying for it. I will accept gov't funding for the so-called State Schools; but PELL grants and other types of gov't funding to individuals should be cut by 90% and made available only to the brightest minds, who are pursuing degrees that benefit the common good. Medicine and engineering are about the only two that come to mind that meet that requirement.

The biggest problem with the entire kwa education system is promoting students just for the sake of promoting, whether or not they have mastered the expectations of a particular grade. It started in the 60's for the sole benefit of niggers and is now the norm at almost all public schools. At many colleges, a student's freshman year is now spent taking remedial english and math courses... being taught things they should have learned in the 7th grade. Is it any wonder that a masters degree is now expected by a lot of employers? Earning a bachelors degree was once a major life's accomplishment. Realistically, today's bachelors degree holder has the equivalent education that would have been expected of a high school graduate in the 40's.
And in reality, the "liberal arts" are not worthless disciplines of study, HOWEVER as they exist in the edJEWcation system today, they have in fact been rendered useless and exist primarily now as disciplines of pure indoctrination and for the purpose of making those who cannot learn feel good by awarding them a degree in sociology or some such nonsense today.

Nevertheless, if Whites ever again take control of their own nation and destiny, those disciplines such as philosophy, history, economics, political science, et al, are worthwhile if taken seriously. And just as someone who commits to the study of physics or engineering becomes expert or we might expect should become expert, that expertise in science and engineering does not mean they are equally expert in the above mentioned liberal arts. Dr. Pierce may have been a chemistry academic initially by profession, but it was merely coincidence and happenstance that he also proved to be as wise and well versed in history, economics and politics. Or rather I should say a great mind such as his made it a point of studying and learning the "arts" of politics, economics and history...

But the key point is that the pursuit of higher learning and the exploration of the great mysteries of this plane of existence are not for the masses or the mass man. A basic education, perhaps no more than basic literacy and math should suffice for the masses with a complimetary apprentice program in the various trades and professions necessary for society. Beyond that, a screening process can be created that will identify those with superior intellect and ability so that they may be instructed and groomed as their abilities dictate. I envision this group to consist of the White Guardian Class, those who will guide and shape our people's destiny. If nothing else, our experience over the last 2 centuries in the kwa and our historical experience as a race, have shown how utterly ignorant and apathetic the WHITE MASS MAN is, and how dangerous it is to engage in the folly known as democracy or representative democracy.

Old November 13th, 2006 #16
alex
Left-wing NS

I respectfully disagree.

I do beleive in the european "mass" man and i do beleive that even an "odinary" european man has an enormous amount of potential which should be used by the society at the maximum for the well being of the society.

Something like that is already happening today although not to the advantage of society but only to the advantage of the financial ruling elites. The technological progress will simply result into the rationalization of all "manual labor" and will increasingly replace what we consider "simple work". Machines will replace humans in various working fields. Thereby giving an enourmous amount of free time on our hands.

Time which can be used for studying, expanding ones horizons and contributing to the knowledge and well-being of society. Thats why its of the most importance that education shall become free of charge for all members of our future white society.

This utopian idea of course can only work if the fundamental structure of the economy "after the revolution" changes.
In the age of Globalization,its not the international Left,but the nationalist Right,which is the true anticapitalist force,which will set restrictions on the international Capital and will secure and improve the nation-state as a social shelter.

Old November 13th, 2006 #17
bombadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin

This is a well-written post and I have no real quibble with it. Let me say something about state funding, though. A country like South Korea produces 55,000 engineers annually versus 60,000 in the US, yet South Korea's population is merely 15% of the US. All advanced countries are putting money into technical and advanced engineering education and a case can be made for its feasibility. Otherwise I completely concur with you that state funding for things like nigger history or sociology is money down the drain.

"Higher education" has been touted as the avenue for advancing oneself. And in individual cases, it might work -- provided everyone else remains where they were. But if most of those who had high school diplomas go for some form of post-secondary education, then degrees lose their cachet, and most people end up where they were before. So today you have college graduates doing roughly the same jobs high-school graduates were doing fifty or even thirty years ago. An MBA is needed where a degree sufficed twenty-five years ago. And it's not even as if today's credentialed people know more or think more clearly than yesterday's people, with their humbler formal accomplishments: educational standards have plummeted; a lot of college graduates cannot write a simple essay (it's possible these days to earn a degree by multiple-choice and short-response tests). Progress indeed. It's debatable whether today's average college degree is even up to the standard of a high school diploma of half-a-century ago. I have my doubts.

Thread