Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 27th, 2008 #1
OTPTT
Banned

Default Free Speech & Profanity Question.

I think I read where, if one uses profanity when making a political statement, it isn't considered a violation of law. Can someone tell me whether this is your understanding as well? I'll do a search on a law research site I frequent but was just wondering if anyone had information on this.

For example: "It's the ******* Jew stupid!"

Old May 27th, 2008 #2
Mike Parker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
I think I read where, if one uses profanity when making a political statement, it isn't considered a violation of law.
Is profanity illegal if it is nonpolitical? I know there are FCC rules about what can be said on TV-radio (and when), but a law?

Old May 27th, 2008 #3
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

See if Cohen v. California helps. Cohen wears a jacket into the local courthouse with "Fuck The Draft" written on it. He was charged with disorderly conduct &c and convicted. The U.S. Supremes overturned the conviction on grounds similar to what you are talking about.

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/com...ech/cohen.html

GREL

Old May 27th, 2008 #4
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
See if Cohen v. California helps. Cohen wears a jacket into the local courthouse with "Fuck The Draft" written on it. He was charged with disorderly conduct &c and convicted. The U.S. Supremes overturned the conviction on grounds similar to what you are talking about.

http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/com...ech/cohen.html

GREL
Thank you GREL! I think that must be the case of which I was thinking. Figures there was a Jew involved. lol. Anyway I've got a boat load of slogans to put on placards all over the Southeast and a couple of them contain what some might consider to be profanity. In those cases it's used for emphasis and not merely in a gratuitous manner.

Thread