VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 27th, 2014 #221
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate
Default A harmless snake scares those who don't know the difference

Here in the southwest of Germany, there are two species which resemble each other, if one doesn't look closely.
This one (coronella austriacais)
Schlingnatter Schlingnatter
harmless and lives in natural settings which aren't manipulated by those clearing dead wood, for instance. Efforts are made now to instruct people not to create unnecessary order which drives out these snakes:

It is often mistaken for the following poisonous
Kreuzotter Kreuzotter
(vipera berus):

In fact, these vipers are found most everywhere in Europe and are not dangerous, unless provoked which isn't likely, since it's shy and will flee when confronted. It's poison is 2 to 3 times more potent than that of a rattle snake. However, the snake is resourcefull and only injects enough venom to kill its prey. The dosage is so small that only children and elderly people run a risk of severe injury from a bite:

Quote:
Obwohl das Gift der Kreuzotter etwa zwei- bis dreimal giftiger ist als das der Diamant-Klapperschlange (Crotalus adamanteus), ist ein Biss auf Grund ihres geringen Giftvorrats von nur 10 bis 18 Milligramm Trockengewicht in der Regel nur für Kinder und alte Menschen gefährlich:

Last edited by Samuel Toothgold; May 27th, 2014 at 07:42 AM.

Old May 27th, 2014 #222
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Toothgold View Post

It is often mistaken for the following poisonous http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreuzotter (vipera berus):

In fact, these vipers are found most everywhere in Europe and are not dangerous, unless provoked which isn't likely, since it's shy and will flee when confronted. It's poison is 2 to 3 times more potent than that of a rattle snake. However, the snake is resourcefull and only injects enough venom to kill its prey. The dosage is so small that only children and elderly people run a risk of severe injury from a bite:

[/center]
Here too, Sam T...

As a rule, rattlesnakes, water moccasins (aka, cottonmouths), coral snakes and copperheads, vipers most common in America's south and southwest, aren't dangerous unless provoked (and that can mean accidentally stepped or sat on), cornered, or just plain fucked with; given an option, most times they'll skedaddle when push comes to shove. But you say that the venom of the kreuzotter is 2-3 times more potent than that of a rattler, and the snake only injects enough venom to kill its prey? Are you telling us that these snakes are intelligent enough to reason, "Hey, know what? That old fucker (or rugrat, whatever) is no threat to me; therefore I'll just give him a small, measured taste of how-to and what-for. But if an able-bodied 20something male dares fuck with me, well then, off come the gloves -- I'll zap 'im full-dose, I will, and kill the big bastard! Fuck with me, will ya! Hah!"... is that what you're saying? Now I can see a viper being intelligent enough to differentiate between, say, a squirrel and a bear, and be able to control the amount of venom injected accordingly, but for it to be able to differentiate between a virtually helpess octogenarian and a healthy adult male in his prime seems a bit farfetched to me ... or am I missing something, misreading you here?

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; May 27th, 2014 at 12:19 PM.

Old May 27th, 2014 #223
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate

Evidently, yes. The might be doing so, because of the effort needed to replenish their supply which might be needed when threatened immediately again. Younger snakes are more dangerous than older ones, because they haven't yet learned how to control their dosage. Not all poisonous snakes behave equally. Some are known for not backing off.

http://www.rb-ophiuchus.de/gift/der-...pperschlangen/

"Rattlesnakes can accurately control their venom dosage "

Quote:
Klapperschlangen können ihre Giftmenge recht gut dosieren.

Old May 28th, 2014 #224
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Thanks for the inside dope. I wasn't aware that some snakes could control the amount of venom delivered upon strike. I was under the impression they just struck with as much intensity as possible when threatened -- or in pursuit of a tasty snack -- and had no real "say-so" or regulation of the matter.

We learn something new every day, eh?

Old May 30th, 2014 #225
Wednesday Owens
Banned

I am no snake master, but often run across them in SE US. They never fail to peak my curiosity (before I kill them). Kill now, identify later is my motto. (They kill baby livestock).

I awoke yesterday morning to one of my dogs barking in a frenzy, and after walking onto the back porch observed a snake between the deck pickets moving lethargically through the wide open yard in the bright light of a.m. day and we have major hawks here. I was curious as I have only surprised them in the past in their 'safe space.' He was small, maybe a bit over 3.5 foot but not much girth. (hungry)

I followed him for several minutes (after putting the cam batteries on charge) and he never tried once to hide or run from me. After kicking some leaves in his direction he circled back in my direction and rose up in an aggressive manner. I'm thinking.... is this snake rabid? (JK) but it was unusual behavior as far as my understanding of snake behavior (miniscule). Most I have had contact with avoided me at all costs.

After making his merry way, he suddenly moved directly towards an inch wide hole in the shop. Not wanting him to go inside I ran around the door to kick an empty propane canister to change his direction, and while leaning my left hand on the nearby freezer I kicked the fuck out of it and from beneath the freezer right at my feet another snake boiled out from under it and in the blink of an eye I was easily 25 foot away. *blink*

Then my dog, after hearing the ruckus comes charging around the door like 400 hells & grabs the latest snake and does the shake thing he does with squirrels, rats (and small dogs) to break its neck. He bites through the snake and when he lets it go the tail comes straight at me. I may as well have a bull's eye on my forehead. My insides turned to water. If I had the breath to do so I would have puked. Flying partial snake heading right at my face moving faster than the speed of sound.

I screamed like a banshee (I've often wondered how I would react in a bad situation and now I know). The unearthly sound that came out of my throat could make millions if recorded for any slasher film in production. :/

So the other part of the snake went back under the freezer and met with the other snake that was obviously on the hunt. I only saw the frog later. As you can see his legs are under him and alive (#2 and #3 the frog position changes), the bottle flies arrived within minutes so does not denote death.

Freakiest thing I have seen in awhile.

The snake 'dance' got intertwined with a drop cord, not so bad cause it gives you scale. Snakes amaze me. The last photo is my fav, I can't believe the detail I got on the bottle fly. Can you guys tell me what kind of snakes these are? I only saw one other snake fight, and it was the black one killing a copperhead. I was too freaked out to get any pics.

Old May 30th, 2014 #226
Alex Linder
Administrator

The snake being eaten appears to be a black swamp snake. The eater I think is an eastern kingsnake.

First I thought it was a ring-necked snake and mangrove snake, but upon closer review...

Kingsnakes are known for eating other snakes - including rattlesnakes.

Last edited by Alex Linder; May 30th, 2014 at 08:25 PM.

Old May 30th, 2014 #227
Alex Linder
Administrator

Old May 30th, 2014 #228
Alex Linder
Administrator

In any case, that is some serious snake drama going on you've got there! I am insanely jealous!

The South definitely has the north beat when it comes to snakes. Two-footed or traditional, I might add, obnoxiously.

There's no need to kill non-poisonous ones. I understand, if they threaten livestock. Kingsnakes actually eat poisonous and other snakes. Most colubrids, like kingsnakes, will eat vermin like mice and rats. That can only be good. Water snakes will just eat frogs and such. Some dolts think they eat gamefish but they don't, the just weed out the diseased or weak ones messed up ones that can't outswim them. I've seen a water snake eating a tiny bluegill on the bank of a farm pond. Water snakes will be around after the other snakes go to tire heaven.

Old May 30th, 2014 #229
Alex Linder
Administrator

BTW, that's cool photography and a good story too.

Old May 30th, 2014 #230
Alex Linder
Administrator

Description: Description: Eastern kingsnakes are large -- 36 – 48 in (90-122 cm) -- shiny-black, smooth-scaled snakes with white or yellow chain-link bands that cross the back and connect along the sides. Because of this pattern this species is also referred to as the chain kingsnake. Generally, individuals from the Coastal Plain have wide bands while those from the mountains may have very thin bands or be nearly completely black. Eastern kingsnakes have a short stout head and small beady eyes. They have an undivided anal plate. Kingsnakes have one of the largest geographic ranges of any North American snake species and their coloration is variable across their range. Although kingsnakes from most areas of Georgia and South Carolina are of the Eastern subspecies (Lampropeltis getula getula), two other subspecies approach our region. The black kingsnake (L. g. nigra), which lacks yellow or white crossbands, is found in the north-central United States, including mountainous regions of northwestern Georgia. As its name implies, the speckled kingsnake (L. g. holbrooki), exhibits dark background coloration speckled with yellow or white. The speckled kingsnake is characteristic of the Gulf Coast from central Alabama to Texas. Partially speckled color variants are also found in the Apalachicola region of the Florida panhandle and on the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Distribution and Habitat: Eastern kingsnakes are found throughout the eastern United States north to New Jersey . They are found in all areas of Georgia and South Carolina. They thrive in many habitats including hardwood and pine forests, bottomlands and swamps, hammocks, tidal wetlands, and even farmlands and suburban areas. This species is strongly terrestrial, but inhabits areas close to water such as stream banks and swamp borders. They are quite secretive and are frequently found under boards, tin or other cover objects.

http://srelherp.uga.edu/snakes/lamget.htm

Old May 30th, 2014 #231
Alex Linder
Administrator

I've seen one speckled kingsnake in all my years in Missouri. We have lots of blacksnakes, which are cool. As a child, I had multiple California kingsnakes as pets.

There are many kinds of kingsnakes, but they're not all that different. They Keep Calm and Eat Mice.

Last edited by Alex Linder; May 30th, 2014 at 08:47 PM.

Old May 30th, 2014 #232
N.B. Forrest

2 snakes - AND a frog. Jesus Christ, you're living in a reptile house....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old May 30th, 2014 #233
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
2 snakes - AND a frog. Jesus Christ, you're living in a reptile house....
It looks like a horror movie... what is that frog even doing hanging around?

That pic should be sent to a nature mag!

Old May 30th, 2014 #234
Alex Linder
Administrator

Cody Coots, carrying on in the tradition of his father, Jamie Coots, who died of snakebite earlier this year and was immortalized in "Shake a Snake for Jesus."*

Enjoy the video.

You do not want to miss the vids in this. These are genuine people of hill. Notice they mix not just with snake but with niggers. And why not? Their thinking is on that level.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...hurch/9716753/

"When I first got bit I was scared, it being my first rattler bite but I wasn't worried about dying. I just didn't know if I'd lose a limb or anything like that. But first few minutes people started praying for me and I knew I wouldn't die." ~ Cody Coots

(WBIR-Middlesboro) A snake-handling pastor is back at church after a rattlesnake bit him earlier this week.

Cody Coots, 21, took over as pastor at Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name in Middlesboro, Ky. after his father, Jamie Coots, died from a snakebite in February.

On Monday, a 6-foot long canebrake rattlesnake bit his right hand while he was removing snakes from a cage.

Late snake-handling pastor Jamie Coots' son bit by rattlesnake

Coots called an ambulance crew but signed a waiver, refusing treatment.

"When I first got bit I was scared, it being my first rattler bite but I wasn't worried about dying. I just didn't know if I'd lose a limb or anything like that. But first few minutes people started praying for me and I knew I wouldn't die," he said.

Coots said he stayed up that first night, repeatedly puking.

*Shake a Snake for Jesus

Put down your rake
Pick up a snake
Now give that snake a healthy shake
Yes, shake a snake for Jesus, my friends, my friends
O shake a snake for Jesus my friends

If it's got coils
And you've got hands
For this small act don't need amends
Shake a snake for Jesus my friends!

Timber rattler, cottonmouth,
well my blood pressure's headed south
A kingsnake or a corn snake just won't do--oo-oo-oo-oo-oooo
To satisfy the Lord divine
A poison snake's the only kind
To demonstrate your faith is pure clean through...so...
Shake a snake for Jesus, my friends, my friends
Yes, shake a snake for Jesus My friends

They lie upon the dusty ground
and yet they never let us down
So make your hands a helping hoisting zoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooo
The lord won't bite so why do you
Think different his pit viper, fool
So shake a snake for Jesus my friends, my friends
Just lift and raise and elevate and praise and even ululate yes
Shake a snake for jesus, for ever ever ever ever lovin' jesus
yes shake a snake for jesus, my friends.

Old May 30th, 2014 #235
N.B. Forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
Cody Coots, carrying on in the tradition of his father, Jamie Coots, who died of snakebite earlier this year and was immortalized in "Shake a Snake for Jesus."*

Enjoy the video.

You do not want to miss the vids in this. These are genuine people of hill. Notice they mix not just with snake but with niggers. And why not? Their thinking is on that level.

"When I first got bit I was scared, it being my first rattler bite but I wasn't worried about dying. I just didn't know if I'd lose a limb or anything like that. But first few minutes people started praying for me and I knew I wouldn't die." ~ Cody Coots

(WBIR-Middlesboro) A snake-handling pastor is back at church after a rattlesnake bit him earlier this week.

Cody Coots, 21, took over as pastor at Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name in Middlesboro, Ky. after his father, Jamie Coots, died from a snakebite in February.

On Monday, a 6-foot long canebrake rattlesnake bit his right hand while he was removing snakes from a cage.

Late snake-handling pastor Jamie Coots' son bit by rattlesnake

Coots called an ambulance crew but signed a waiver, refusing treatment.

"When I first got bit I was scared, it being my first rattler bite but I wasn't worried about dying. I just didn't know if I'd lose a limb or anything like that. But first few minutes people started praying for me and I knew I wouldn't die," he said.

Coots said he stayed up that first night, repeatedly puking.

*Shake a Snake for Jesus

Put down your rake
Pick up a snake
Now give that snake a healthy shake
O shake a snake for Jesus my friends

If it's got coils
And you've got hands
For this small act don't need amends
Shake a snake for Jesus my friends!

Timber rattler, cottonmouth,
well my blood pressure's headed south
A kingsnake or a corn snake just won't do--oo-oo-oo-oo-oooo
To satisfy the Lord divine
A poison snake's the only kind
To demonstrate your faith is pure clean through...so...
Shake a snake for Jesus, my friends, my friends
Yes, shake a snake for Jesus My friends

They lie upon the dusty ground
and yet they never let us down
So make your hands a helping hoisting zoo-oo-oo-oo-oo-oooo
The lord won't bite so why do you
Think different his pit viper, fool
So shake a snake for Jesus my friends, my friends
Just lift and raise and elevate and praise and even ululate yes
Shake a snake for jesus, for ever ever ever ever lovin' jesus
yes shake a snake for jesus, my friends.
Stoopid fucking fools. My paternal side is from Appalachia, and they never fell for that Darwin Award garbage....

"The man who does not exercise the first law of nature—that of self preservation — is not worthy of living and breathing the breath of life." - John Wesley Hardin

Old May 30th, 2014 #236
Alex Linder
Administrator

Kentucky snake handler refuses treatment for snake bite months after dad’s death

Cody Coots is recovering after a six-foot rattlesnake bit his right index finger. The snake-handling minister asked friends to call an ambulance — and then formally declined any medical treatment.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz33FvXkXt6

Old May 30th, 2014 #237
Alex Linder
Administrator

Coots has been bitten at least five other times by cottonmouth snakes. Monday’s bite marked his first rattler.

Ever since his dad succumbed to a snake bite in February, 21-year-old Coots has been acting as lead pastor at the Full Gospel Tabernacle in Jesus Name church in Middlesboro, Ky. The fourth-generation snake handler says he believes the Bible commands Christians to take up snakes in the Lord’s name with the faith that God will heal them.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz33FwIxjKN

[jesus christ. i think his dad died on the 9th bite. will be interesting to see if cooter junior can outlast him]

Old May 30th, 2014 #238
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest View Post
Stoopid fucking fools. My paternal side is from Appalachia, and they never fell for that Darwin Award garbage....
WASP religious delusionality ranges from christian science on the high end to snake molesting on the low end. with plenty o' crazy quakin' 'n' shakin' pit stops in between. it's the ethnic group that gives all year long, clark.

Old May 30th, 2014 #239
Alex Linder
Administrator

BTW, I don't believe in banning snake shaking. Snakes need their cross to bear too, and theirs is being clutched aloft in the sweaty palms of saltating simpletons.

As for the erect and footed ones, it is clear to me that god provided them for our amusement, so who are we not to sniggle at clowns?

Old May 30th, 2014 #240
Alex Linder
Administrator

I would also like to proffer my services. When Coots Junior dies around his dozenth bite or so, I humbly volunteer to transport myself to his funeral and perform Shake a Snake for Jesus, with an additional verse for Coot II.

Tags
snakes

Thread