Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old February 18th, 2006 #21
Joe Snuffy

This is the first part I turned, pretty high tech ehh?

Old February 18th, 2006 #22
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

You get a fortune cookie for that fine job. That's more than you deserve for those parallel scratches caused by careless handling.
BTW, whats that funny colored stuff under your thumbnail?

Old February 18th, 2006 #23
Joe Snuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker
You get a fortune cookie for that fine job. That's more than you deserve for those parallel scratches caused by careless handling.
BTW, whats that funny colored stuff under your thumbnail?
Those scrathes were called out on the print, I had to put them there and it wasn't easy.

Old February 18th, 2006 #24
Dasyurus Maculatus
Banned

At work I have access to a workshop with centre-bore lathes (for long length tubulars) and do the occasional licenced cutting of Mannesman-Valourec interference thread for d/h drill string.

I am allowed to do input for a 5 axis CNC for machining electrical composites (arc shutes) and other for example

At home have an old but reliable Colchester lathe, and basics such as a dividing table, milling machine and a home-made forge for heat-treating and tin-bashing.

My favourit gadget - a knurling head for the lathe that I have adapted to do really fine diamond pattern texturing on steel .

Old February 27th, 2006 #25
Aronomus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snuffy
I got a 9x20 china thing. There isn't much of a machine tool industry in the US anymore KLM and what is made in the US is probably made by shitskin labor. I paid $800 for this used harbor freight that has had some of the factory shortcomings improved upon, the best improvement is the 2HP DC motor with controller that allows for variable speed from around 50 RPM to a 1100 without pulley changes and fairly constant torque along with a tach. The guy had built a nice stand that came with it also. Thanks should go to Aronomus for the informative yahoo 9x20 site, it was a great help.
Nice. Really glad my post was useful. I am just a bit envious, though. With the extras, it looks like quite a good deal. That DC motor and tach seems optimum and should make it a pleasure to run. Very nice cut on your first "part" - no matter what KLM says.

Oh, from the backgound of the pic - you better take a break, though, and get back to the drywalling.

r.

Another thought. Every time I see a post by Fred Streed and others from the former National Alliance on the hill , it almost always reminds me of the common interests and experiences I found I had with WLP, Fred and others. And it makes the lost of WLP and the oganization to some used car salesmen all the more poignant.

Old February 27th, 2006 #26
Aronomus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker
... I used to get my hands on used tools for cheap, in Clawson, Michigan. That was way back when. So, I don't know if these outlets are still around
I'm familiar with the Clawson area. So, what were you doing there? I don't recall that they had a POW camp there "way back when". Come clean.

Old February 28th, 2006 #27
T.Garrett
Banned

Arrow interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasyurus Maculatus
At work I have access to a workshop with centre-bore lathes (for long length tubulars) and do the occasional licenced cutting of Mannesman-Valourec interference thread for d/h drill string.

I am allowed to do input for a 5 axis CNC for machining electrical composites (arc shutes) and other for example

At home have an old but reliable Colchester lathe, and basics such as a dividing table, milling machine and a home-made forge for heat-treating and tin-bashing.

My favourit gadget - a knurling head for the lathe that I have adapted to do really fine diamond pattern texturing on steel .
yer in the petrochemical biz eh ...?

Cheers

Old March 1st, 2006 #28
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronomus
I'm familiar with the Clawson area. So, what were you doing there? I don't recall that they had a POW camp there "way back when". Come clean.
Well, one didn't have to try hard, to land in the city klink. I used to watch my speed limit, when I had to drive through. I didn't have to be so careful while passing through Clawson's peripheral neighbors: Madison Heights, Troy or Royal Oak. The Fuzz had enough to do in the former 2 towns. The 1st mentioned because of break-ins and trailer park circuses and the 2nd primarily on the south-east side. Although, Troy had some nice new neighborhoods. My dad used to drive us house shopping in the vicinity of 18 mile. Those were some nice houses with a small room at the entrance where you could receive short-term guests without having to have them in your main quarters. As a teenager, I had all kinds of Beavis-Butthead type fantasies about what I could do with chicks in that cozy padded room. Something turned off my parents about Troy, though. If recall this right, it seems the property taxes were higher than surrounding suburbs and that shopping centers were rather far from this remote neighborhood.
Clawson was one of those towns that had a longer establishment. That might be the reason the city fathers wanted to keep it in Ordnung.
BTW, aren't you getting off-topic, by asking me these questions?

Last edited by Kind Lampshade Maker; March 1st, 2006 at 06:12 AM.

Old March 28th, 2006 #29
Bob 88
This Time The World !

Can you buy Clarke tools in the US ?
They have a good selection of small lathes starting from £350 UK.
Check the Machine Mart UK site.

Old January 17th, 2007 #30
OTPTT
Banned

I have a bachelors degree in a health related field and would really like to finish law school but for the past few weeks I've had this idea that taking some machinist courses or even entering a two year machinist school at the local technical school would be a good idea. I don't have to mention how handy such skills would be at the appropriate time and the tools one could make for defending one's country from attack. Having machinist skills seems as natural as breathing to me at least in this day and time.

Would I need to take a complete two year course or is there another way to learn the become a really good machinist?

T

Old January 18th, 2007 #31
Joe Snuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThePathToTruth
I have a bachelors degree in a health related field and would really like to finish law school but for the past few weeks I've had this idea that taking some machinist courses or even entering a two year machinist school at the local technical school would be a good idea. I don't have to mention how handy such skills would be at the appropriate time and the tools one could make for defending one's country from attack. Having machinist skills seems as natural as breathing to me at least in this day and time.

Would I need to take a complete two year course or is there another way to learn the become a really good machinist?

T
Unless you are going to make a career out of it I wouldn't take a course. You would be better off to just buy a mill or lathe and with the help of the internet and some videos you could learn on your own. If it is possible to take a few evening courses that are close and affordable do so but don't take two years of your life off for it.

I just bought a four axis CNC mill as a getting out of debt present after I sold my home. It's about as big of a hobby mill one wants to buy. Anything heavier and its difficult to move without equipment. I haven’t machined anything on it yet as I am still learning but I have made a few drawings with the pencil in the chuck and some cardboard on the milling table. Here is a link to a picture of the model I bought, it doesn’t show the fourth axis.

http://www.syilamerica.com/product_h4.asp

Old January 19th, 2007 #32
Dasyurus Maculatus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Garrett
yer in the petrochemical biz eh ...?

Cheers
Thats right TG.

Last edited by Dasyurus Maculatus; January 20th, 2007 at 12:44 AM.

Old January 21st, 2007 #33
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Snuffy
...I just bought a four axis CNC mill as a getting out of debt present after I sold my home. It's about as big of a hobby mill one wants to buy...http://www.syilamerica.com/product_h4.asp
Great to see you're using Axis power, Joe (stupid pun I had to let out).
That's quite an expensive hobby there, Snuffy. If you don't start making this expensive toy pay for itself, you'll be out of a favorite toy as well as homeless.
There are potential customers, out there, who solicit the service of CNC lathe technology to produce certain items on a numerous order. For example, there are clubs whose members own certain brands of classic automobiles whose replacement parts have been discontinued from production. These people need to stock up on these certain replacement parts. One example I can think of, off-hand, is an order for 1000 aluminum oilpans for an NSU sportscar

Old February 1st, 2007 #34
Joe Snuffy

This castings kit for a steam engine will be my first project with the new mill. There is a lot of lathe work here also.

Thread