VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 17th, 2010 #1
P.E.
Geriatric Coalburner

Default Eating White: Recipes Worth The Effort

On the weekends - when I recharge from a strenuous weekly diet and exercise, and usually cook for me or a guest - I go all out, and cook something quality compared to the chicken breast tuna broccoli protein powder type monotony of the week. For those of you who do cyclical type dieting (or men in a bulking phase), this food will be great for your off days when you need to recharge your slowed hormones from the previous cal deficits.

For those who just eat balanced all week, well, you'll probably have to make the stuff I post taste shittier with weaker ingredients (or eat less), because it's pretty rich. I could never live on a balanced diet. The rush is too fun eating this kind of shit on off days, and thank god cyclical diets work better.

I'll start with two favorites:

1.) World's Best Lasagna

with Lasagna Noodles made fresh from this recipe:

Basic Pasta

Note: You can look at the ingredients list. It's no throw-together retarded dish. And if you serve this made with fresh lasagna noodles, your guest will taste the difference and be spoiled forever in this classic dish. My personal note, DON'T BOIL FRESH LASAGNA NOODLES, they are fine just going straight to the dish and the oven.

If you don't have a pasta machine, it's a damn fine investment. The good ones are the hand-crank ones which are best sellers on Amazon for about $60 (I have the Imperia 150 made in Italy, it's the best seller last time I checked, paid $61 shipped).

2.) Black Forest Cake II

This cake is a bit of work, but it's worth the effort. This cake causes romance. And it's not the Kirschwasser that causes it.

Old May 28th, 2011 #2
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Default Low Country Boil

Shrimp season in the Mississippi Sound opened Thursday of this week. Work took me down to Biloxi yesterday so I stopped by one of the little harbours where the shrimp boats come in to see what they had been catching.

I had sworn off eating gulf seafood for a couple of years due to the oil spill, but when I saw the size of the shrimp they were catching and the price -- it all combined to change my mind on the subject. It also didn't hurt that the boat owner threw me a cold beer to drink while they were offloading the boat.

The shrimp are HUGE. Mississippi didn't have a shrimp season last year due to the oil spill, and I guess during all of that off-time, the little buggers grew. Shrimp are sized by how many of them it takes to make a pound. These are 8 - 10, meaning that it takes 8 to 10 of them to make a pound, so they are averaging 1.6 to 2 oz. each. These were $5 per pound. That's a good price, but when you figure that only about 1/3 of a shrimp is edible, it works out to about $15 per pound for meat out of the shell.

I'm gonna do what's called a "Low Country Boil" over the weekend:

Shrimp, red potatos, corn on the cob and smoked kielbasa all cooked together in a big pot with Old Bay seasoning.

Last edited by Marse Supial; May 28th, 2011 at 12:19 PM.

Old May 29th, 2011 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

That looks darn good. The shrimp are large enough to wage war, at least on krill.

Old May 29th, 2011 #4
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Shrimp season in the Mississippi Sound opened Thursday of this week. Work took me down to Biloxi yesterday so I stopped by one of the little harbours where the shrimp boats come in to see what they had been catching.

I had sworn off eating gulf seafood for a couple of years due to the oil spill, but when I saw the size of the shrimp they were catching and the price -- it all combined to change my mind on the subject. It also didn't hurt that the boat owner threw me a cold beer to drink while they were offloading the boat.

The shrimp are HUGE. Mississippi didn't have a shrimp season last year due to the oil spill, and I guess during all of that off-time, the little buggers grew. Shrimp are sized by how many of them it takes to make a pound. These are 8 - 10, meaning that it takes 8 to 10 of them to make a pound, so they are averaging 1.6 to 2 oz. each. These were $5 per pound. That's a good price, but when you figure that only about 1/3 of a shrimp is edible, it works out to about $15 per pound for meat out of the shell.

I'm gonna do what's called a "Low Country Boil" over the weekend:

Shrimp, red potatos, corn on the cob and smoked kielbasa all cooked together in a big pot with Old Bay seasoning.
Wow! 5.00/lb that's cheap enough to warrant a trip down there. Those shrimp do look yummy.

Old May 29th, 2011 #5
Horseman

Can you make stock from the other 2/3 of the shrimp?

Old June 27th, 2011 #6
Susan

Default Delicious Apple Cake

Well even White people have to eat sweets every now and then, so here's a delicious Apple Cake recipe that I found in my recipe box from somewhere:

Apple Cake

1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar (I used half white sugar and half brown sugar and it tasted yummy)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups flour
2 cups finely chopped apples (I used the little green slightly tart apples from my own tree)
1 can coconut (I used a cup and a half-seems fine)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used a small bag of walnuts from Walmart that was perfect)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs (I beat them and poured them into the mixture)

Mix oil and sugar until dissolved in a large bowl.
Add dry ingredients and eggs and gently mix.
Add nuts, coconut, and apples and mix gently together until all is moist.
Generously grease a bundt pan and spoon mixture in, trying to fill any air holes.
Bake at 325 degrees for an hour and 15 mins. You can immediately flip pan over and cake will just fall right out onto plate. You can sprinkle confectioner's sugar or drizzle icing on cake or eat it plain.

This cake is delicious!

Old June 27th, 2011 #7
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Tuscan Pork Chops

Ingredients
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
• 4 (1-inch-thick) boneless pork chops
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced*
• 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1/3 cup chicken broth
• 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 2 tablespoons capers

Preparation
• Combine first 3 ingredients in a shallow dish; dredge pork chops in flour mixture.
• Cook pork chops in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove chops from skillet.
• Add garlic to skillet, and sauté 1 minute. Add vinegar and broth, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of skillet; stir in tomatoes and capers.
• Return pork chops to skillet; bring sauce to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 4 to 5 minutes or until pork is done. Spoon tomato mixture on top of pork chops. Serve

These pork chops are delicious

Old June 27th, 2011 #8
Marse Supial
Creepy-Ass Cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
Can you make stock from the other 2/3 of the shrimp?
Yes, you can. It's best to let someone else do it though, because even as good as it is in a bisque or chowder or something like that, if you see it done, you won't want to eat it.

Old November 17th, 2012 #9
Olesia Rhoswen

Default home-made packzi

If you ever find the time and are up for the challenge, home-made packzi is amazing. We made them a few years ago for Christmas and they turned out great, although Babcia said we didn't let the dough rise long enough and suggested next time we use a syringe to fill the dough with the jam. It also helps to have several people involved, and a deep fryer.

Of course, it is much easier to get them from a bakery but it was fun to try. Especially good for those stormy winter nights where there's not much to do.

Old November 17th, 2012 #10
Breanna
Eternal Glory

Yes making food from scratch is certainly worth the effort. My husband won't even eat a store bought loaf, has eaten food from scratch for most of his life (before I came into the picture his landlady, an old Italian woman, cooked for him, and before that in his youth it was his grandparents) and he never gets sick. Everyone else is getting a cold or flu every year but he only gets one once every three or four years, and even then its only for a few days and he's better again. The avoidance of processed foods likely plays a huge part in this. And we do not even eat organic.

I do use a few shortcuts, the factory made pasta (rather than made by hand from flour), canned tuna, and canned whole tomatoes for sauce. Those three things are more economical than the fresh.

I would say I only spend about 15 hours a week with food on average. I make things in batches quite often, for instance I will make two or three days of lunches in one day, or I will turn a whole turkey into soup and freeze the leftovers to use on another day when I don't have quite so much time for cooking.

Old November 17th, 2012 #11
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_Lee View Post
Yes, you can. It's best to let someone else do it though, because even as good as it is in a bisque or chowder or something like that, if you see it done, you won't want to eat it.
Just looking at it makes me not want to eat it (I can't imagine how it must smell).

Old November 17th, 2012 #12
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.E. View Post
On the weekends - when I recharge from a strenuous weekly diet and exercise.....
So, is the sex that you have worth the effort of all that?

Old November 17th, 2012 #13
Breanna
Eternal Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
So, is the sex that you have worth the effort of all that?
Not everyone is so lazy, self-hating, and addicted to self-indulgence that they let themselves become fat kilt-wearing monsters.

Old November 18th, 2012 #14
Crowe

Chicken fried bacon:

Once you try it you will never want bacon the normal way again. Of course its not healthy, but I'm not trying to live to be 80.

For the batter, you let the bacon sit in buttermilk for about 30 minutes, then you coat them in flour, then dip them in the buttermilk again, then coat them again. The second dip gets it on thicker. Or you could mix a batter with buttermilk and flour, but its harder to get the consistency right. I almost never use the same batter recipe twice, I usually put some garlic powder, paprika, pepper, salt, and some cajun seasoning in with the flour in varied amounts. Sometimes I crumble up some potato chips and put in the batter. This works a whole lot better if you got a deep fryer, I only tried to pan fry them once in oil and they didn't come out as good, because you can't really manage the heat as easily. 400 F for about 2-3 minutes in the deep fryer.

Thread