Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 23rd, 2009 #1
Georgie

Default So who here exercises?

We all know we need to be doing it, so who actually does? Its easy to just sit back and stuff yourself with ding dongs but that doesn't actually do you good. I've admittedly been slacking in regards to this lately but after listening to some Free Talk Lives, I've looked at myself and decided this had to stop.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #2
Brad
Anti-semite Pro-human

15 minute hell, twice a day.

Mattfurey.com

B.B. aka Arbiter of all truth.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #3
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

I do, not as much as I should be....But I manage to get it done at least twice a week. One session of body weight exercise, one of power lifting. What I NEED to do is get on the treadmill more.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #4
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
I do, not as much as I should be....But I manage to get it done at least twice a week. One session of body weight exercise, one of power lifting. What I NEED to do is get on the treadmill more.
you are a personal trainer, no?

Old March 23rd, 2009 #5
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Yes but I have not been training anyone for a while......Just sales.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #6
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
What I NEED to do is get on the treadmill more.
I've also been slacking in treadmill time for the last couple of months.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #7
Luis Quilico

I exercise every other day; my regimen consists mostly of push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups and crunches. In decent weather anytime other than winter, I still cycle regularly. Under most circumstances, it's not hard to make time to exercise.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #8
Georgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
I've also been slacking in treadmill time for the last couple of months.
Don't know about you guys but I'm not the biggest fan of getting on a treadmill or what have you and being there for half an hour or more. I've been really getting into stuff like kettlebell/dumbbell swings intermixed with jump roping and such. Then again I've never really been a runner so perhaps this bursts of speed is my type of thing.

One bad habit I have is that I want to do too much. I like all sorts of usual and unusual exercises and have been trying to formulate ways to incorporate them all together in some sort of plan. Bodyweight stuff, weights, sprinting, doing all sorts of core work like one of those ab-wheels (those are hard) and get-ups, windmills etc etc. all sorts of arcane stuff lol.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #9
Georgie

(Not to go too off topic here)

One other thing I've been really looking at is intermittent fasting. Basically you compress your eating into a certain timeframe rather than grub all day. Supposedly it lets your body continue to fast and not use energy on digestion but instead on whatever tasks you need and then you sit down and eat a big meal and it allows it to better utilize the incoming resources ...or something like that. Healthy or not or whatever I've been really enjoying eating this way as I don't have to bother with making breakfast or lunch and really saves time.

for what its worth:
http://lifespotlight.com/health/2008...-start-part-i/

I do the one big meal at dinner thing. Some people will just look at that as crazy but I like it.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #10
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
(Not to go too off topic here)

One other thing I've been really looking at is intermittent fasting. Basically you compress your eating into a certain timeframe rather than grub all day. Supposedly it lets your body continue to fast and not use energy on digestion but instead on whatever tasks you need and then you sit down and eat a big meal and it allows it to better utilize the incoming resources ...or something like that. Healthy or not or whatever I've been really enjoying eating this way as I don't have to bother with making breakfast or lunch and really saves time.

I do the one big meal at dinner thing. Some people will just look at that as crazy but I like it.
Personally, I wouldn't go for that. I try to stick with 5 or 6 small feedings in a day to minimize insulin spikes. Not saying that I ALWAYS follow that routine, but it's what I try to make my norm.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #11
10Bears

I'm blue-collar and get a lot of aerobic exercise everyday.
At home, I jump rope often and feel that squats are a good all-around exercise.
Would like to take up running a few times a week but don't feel like laying down the $$ for a decent pair of running shoes. Ever seen anyone except the military running in combat boots? New boots that need to be broken-in, I have. Quality running shoes, I don't.

Old March 23rd, 2009 #12
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Does golf count?

Old March 23rd, 2009 #13
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
Does golf count?
It counts a little if you walk the course.

Old March 24th, 2009 #14
Sean Gruber

I can't tolerate physical motion without intellectual purpose. When I have the opportunity to walk a few miles to a bookstore, or run around lifting heavy stuff to accomplish a purpose on my job, I do it enthusiastically. But to get on a treadmill, or count 100 jumps to a jump-rope or 40 crunches or 20 deep-knee bends with 5 repetitions, or whatever...gah.

About the only appealing physical activity is walking up steep hills (or climbing) and getting leg-burn, pounding heart, and wheezing lungs. That feels good. But repetitive exercise - I hate it like I hate hell. It's a maximum of time and energy spent on a maximum of boredom. Listening to music doesn't help at all.

Let's face it. Different people have different natural activity levels. You will wind up doing about as much as you feel like doing. If you spend a few years exercising in order to add a few extra years to your life, make sure you like exercising - because that's what those extra years were spent doing.

Old March 24th, 2009 #15
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Bears View Post
...Would like to take up running a few times a week but don't feel like laying down the $$ for a decent pair of running shoes...
I run each day, first for a short distance for metabolism preparation. I'll walk a few minutes, before continuing running. You don't need to take long runs only a couple times a week. Walk/run to the store, instead of using the car. You can run in sandals, when the weather allows it

Old March 24th, 2009 #16
Heks
SrbIN

I'm planing to train boxing, but because of little free time that i have that plan is screwed for now

Old March 24th, 2009 #17
Georgie

I've created a spit for myself (kind of stole some ideas from Ross Enamaits Infinite Intensity) to allow me to do all sorts of stuff and train multiple qualities.

Day 1 I'll do a more intense "cardio" with the use of dumbbells and such such as swings:
Work on calves a bit too.

Day 2 I'll focus on upper body strength with some push/pull exercises. I may do overhead dumbbell presses and chinups or dips and dumbbell rows etc etc mixing it up. Finish off with some stretching of one of those chest expanders.

Day 3 I'll work on the "core". Bust out the ab-wheel and work my way up to doing a standing unassisted one. Throw in some exercises for the lower back and obliques and such. Also finish off with some neck exercises.

Day 4 Will do some intervals with jump roping and maybe the stationary bike or do GPP. Finish with grip/forearm exercises.

Will rest a day and repeat this. Going for more of a brief yet intense sessions type of thing.

Old March 26th, 2009 #18
Dies Irae
Cowboy Astronomer

I lift free weights -- my goal is to get a body like Tesak's. Now that guy can kick ass.
"These were no soft-bellied, conservative businessmen assembled for some Masonic mumbodumbo; no loudmouthed, beery red-necks letting off a little ritualized steam about "the goddam niggers"; no pious, frightened churchgoers whining for the guidance or protection of an anthropomorphic deity. These were real men, White men, men who were now one with me in spirit and consciousness as well as in blood." -- Earl Turner, The Turner Diaries

Old March 26th, 2009 #19
OTPTT
Banned

I'll be re-joining the ranks of those who engage in aerobic exercise. Years ago I biked 20-30 miles a day 5-6 times a week. Did that for several years and never felt better physically or mentally.

After months of looking for just the right bike at the right time I purchased a 2006 Specialized Stump Jumper that was placed on craigslist night before last. The bike retails for $1600 new but I was able to pick it up for $500. A high quality bike with high quality components.

So I'm hoping to get back to my old regimen as I get the body back in shape. Have been thinking about a weight machine as well.

By the way, if you're looking for something in particular you can probably find someone selling it on craigslist. I was also able to pick up a two year old trailer just last week in Mississippi from a guy who posted to craigslist. It's all about timing.

Old March 26th, 2009 #20
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
I'll be re-joining the ranks of those who engage in aerobic exercise. Years ago I biked 20-30 miles a day 5-6 times a week. Did that for several years and never felt better physically or mentally.
I recommend you upping that 20-30 miles a day to about a billion.

Thread