VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 14th, 2004 #81
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spandau
X is playing at the (Ugh) House of Blues in LA in June.
Too bad they're playing there. It irritates me when cool bands get popular 20 years after their heyday and they become suddenly "fashionable" with the five minutes ago crowd. Next they'll be playing halftime at the Rose Bowl. Is Exene Cervenka gonna be with them? I heard she and JD had a bad breakup or argument or something and weren't speaking anymore.

Old May 14th, 2004 #82
Spandau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Too bad they're playing there. It irritates me when cool bands get popular 20 years after their heyday and they become suddenly "fashionable" with the five minutes ago crowd. Next they'll be playing halftime at the Rose Bowl. Is Exene Cervenka gonna be with them? I heard she and JD had a bad breakup or argument or something and weren't speaking anymore.
Yeah She'll be there. Her and John Doe broke up like '86 or something. However they still perform together in X. I hate how absolutely plastic music clubs are now. Put me in a sweat soaked, beer on the floor dive anyday.

Old May 14th, 2004 #83
Nick

Quote:
Yeah She'll be there. Her and John Doe broke up like '86 or something. However they still perform together in X. I hate how absolutely plastic music clubs are now. Put me in a sweat soaked, beer on the floor dive anyday.
Yup. The phonies stay out of places like that. The kissy type clubs now are places to be seen more than places for real fans to see/hear the band.

LA is a long haul but I might think about getting over there to catch that show.

Old May 14th, 2004 #84
Spandau

Quote:
Yup. The phonies stay out of places like that. The kissy type clubs now are places to be seen more than places for real fans to see/hear the band.

LA is a long haul but I might think about getting over there to catch that show.
When you get there, pour some beer on the floor.

Old May 15th, 2004 #85
carl_rylander

Quote:
Yeah, I was at the premiere. It is the best look at the LA scene that I know of. It is a snapshot of how things were circa '80. I'd go online and try to get a copy that way. Amazon has it for $45. Kickboy Face is God!
Thanks, I think I'll take your advice and find a used copy online.

BTW, do you know if Lee Ving is a WN? He was interviewed awhile ago in Resistance magazine. The issue the interview appears in is sold out and I've been unable to find anyone who has an issue they could scan for me.

Old May 15th, 2004 #86
carl_rylander

Quote:
I think Brutal Youth is one of his best efforts. That's even taking into consideration his earliest material. If you can get it for six bucks that's a steal. The songs Pony St. and My Science Fiction Twin are worth the price of the album in themselves, imo. But the rest of the songs are strong as well all the way through the record. There isn't really anything there that could be considered "filler" material. I like that album very much and recommend it without reservations.
I'll pick it up tommorrow. I figure I can't go wrong considering how excellent your taste in music is.

Are you familiar with the Soft Boys? I included them in my "top ten" list. They released an album in 1980 called Underwater Moonlight. The album can best be described as a blend of post-punk, psychedelia, the Kinks and early Pink Floyd. If you haven't heard it already, please purchase it and then tell me what you think of it.

Old May 15th, 2004 #87
Spandau

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_rylander
Thanks, I think I'll take your advice and find a used copy online.

BTW, do you know if Lee Ving is a WN? He was interviewed awhile ago in Resistance magazine. The issue the interview appears in is sold out and I've been unable to find anyone who has an issue they could scan for me.
Hmm. I wouldn't doubt it. I met him once & he was very cool. That was in '82 when he was still a punk. However he was always a bit of a Biker. And FEAR were never PC! After that ('87?) he formed a Country band called "Range War" in Texas. Lots of Stars & Bars and all things Dixie. So yeah, I wouldn't doubt it.

Old May 15th, 2004 #88
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_rylander
I'll pick it up tommorrow. I figure I can't go wrong considering how excellent your taste in music is.

Are you familiar with the Soft Boys? I included them in my "top ten" list. They released an album in 1980 called Underwater Moonlight. The album can best be described as a blend of post-punk, psychedelia, the Kinks and early Pink Floyd. If you haven't heard it already, please purchase it and then tell me what you think of it.
Ha, thanks. I've had a few people tell me my taste in music is dreadful so I guess it's a wash.

Yeah, I remember The Soft Boys but I don't recall hearing their music or knowing that's what it was if I did hear it. Let me see if I can find some of their recorded material and give it a listen. I have a friend who is into obscure bands and extreme musical minutiae and she has some really hard to find records. I'll give her a call, it's possible she might have something by them. If not there's a good record store near me and I'll stop in and talk to the owner. He's pretty knowledgeable about the bands from those years. He carries a whole section of used records and he might have something in stock. I can probably find something off the net if all else fails. Let me know a title of an album you think is worthwhile so I'll have an idea what to look for.

Old May 16th, 2004 #89
Subrosa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heritagelost
I can't believe they actually put Bob Marley on that list. He is completely insignificant. Usually, they put Jimi Hendrix on these lists as the undeserving token Nigger.

There are hundreds of people from the 60's and 70's (the time period they covered) more significant and influential than Bob Marley.

The greastest rock band of the 80's is Guns N' Roses!
Bull Heritage! Best rock band of the 80's was AC/DC! "I'm on a highway to hell, and all my friends are gonna be there too!"

"If you want blood, you got it!"

"I wanna tell ya a story/bout a girl I know/when it comes to loving..ooo she steals the show/ain't exactly pretty/ain't exactly small/55-64-82 you could say she's got it alllllll!

Old May 17th, 2004 #90
hater23

Default I always found that

the enjoyment of rock music often depended on the right combination of self-medication. May sound goofy for a white nationalist, but I still have yet to duplicate the intensity and depth of experience of seeing the Grateful Dead while high on LSD. Sort of a "group mind" thing.

Top 10 Rock Bands

1. AC/DC
2. The Who
3. The Clash
4. Jethro Tull
5. Yes
6. The Grateful Dead
7. The Jefferson Airplane
8. The Cranberries
9. The Beatles
10. Nirvanna

Old May 18th, 2004 #91
carl_rylander

Quote:
Ha, thanks. I've had a few people tell me my taste in music is dreadful so I guess it's a wash.

Yeah, I remember The Soft Boys but I don't recall hearing their music or knowing that's what it was if I did hear it. Let me see if I can find some of their recorded material and give it a listen. I have a friend who is into obscure bands and extreme musical minutiae and she has some really hard to find records. I'll give her a call, it's possible she might have something by them. If not there's a good record store near me and I'll stop in and talk to the owner. He's pretty knowledgeable about the bands from those years. He carries a whole section of used records and he might have something in stock. I can probably find something off the net if all else fails. Let me know a title of an album you think is worthwhile so I'll have an idea what to look for.
Pick up Underwater Moonlight. I'm curious as to what your reaction to it will be.

Thread