VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 15th, 2005 #1
Steve B
Banned

Default Rome

I know many VNNers don't watch TV but the HBO presentation of Caesar's Rome is rather interesting. 100 BCE to 44 BCE if I get my dates right. It is a combination of history and soap..mostly soap.

Could VNN's best movie reviewer give a shot at it? Gotts tops but there are others. The intrigue of the biggest White badass since Alexander should at least be mentioned.

I ain't got the skills but I have watched the show and the only character I'd give two cents for is Titus Pullo. Fictional, but never the less..big, ferocious...not that bright in the ways of the world but possess the courage and loyalty of a warrior and at the same time the morality of a pirate. Gallic in appearence but still a stanch Roman soldier.

Caesar is the best show, however. The actor Ciarán Hinds gives an ok performance but I just can't help but think the the real Caesar was a bit more malevolent. Especially, when the actor playing Brutus..the guy who was supposedly the leader of the assassination squad and according to rumor, Caesars son, is about as game as Don Knotts in the Reluctant Astronaut.

Females play a prominent in this movie. Brutus's mommy, Servilia, is the prime mover in Caesars sharp adventure. Caesars niece, Atia, is almost a shadow ruler of Rome...bedding Marc Anthony, controllng Octavian(Agustus) and generally being two steps ahead of everyone else via leg spreading.

And a little something else on the usual suspects:

Quote:
Caius Cassius Longinus was the leader in the successful conspiracy to assassinate Julius Caesar. He fought as a quaestor under Marcus Licinius Crassus (the victor over Spartacus and one of the first Triumvirs) at Carrhae in Parthia in 53 BC and saved what was left of the army after the battle in which Crassus was killed. He supported Pompey against Caesar but was pardoned after the battle of Pharsalus. He was made peregrine praetor and Caesar promised to make him governor of Syria. But, before the promise could be fulfilled, Cassius had become ringleader in the plot to kill Caesar. The plot involved more than 60 men (including Marcus Junius Brutus, Publius Servilius Casca, and Lucius Tillius Cimber) and was successfully accomplished in the senate on the Ides of March in 44 BC. When the people were aroused by Antony against the conspirators, Cassius fled to Syria. He managed to capture Dolabella at Laodicea and coordinated his own movements with those of Brutus. Antony and Octavian (later Augustus ) met them in battle at Philippi. In the first engagement Cassius, thinking the battle lost, committed suicide.

Another of the conspirators, his kinsman, Caius Cassius Parmensis, fought at Philippi and later with Sextus Pompeius. He later sided with Antony in the naval battle off Actium and was killed by order of Octavian. - edited from
Encyclopedia.com

Although my fellow Roman history enthusiasts doubt the possibility of Cassius and the Parthians (the culture that developed in what was previously known as the Persian Empire) working together to bring about the death of Caesar, I hold a certain suspicion that Parthian influence could have been a factor.

While Caesar was in Gaul, Cassius and 500 horseman "escaped" from the slaughter at Carrhae by taking a retreat route different from the route of Crassus and the main body of survivors (who were later slain). I think the Parthians could have played an active role in Cassius' miraculous survival by inducing Cassius to foment a revolt against Caesar once he was back in Rome (with a handsome contribution from their treasury). Caesar was subsequently assassinated on the eve of his departure on a campaign against the Parthians.

I began speculating about this after thinking about the Persians and their collusion in the assassination of King Phillip II of Macedon (Alexander the Great's father). Could it be that Persian/Parthian gold had once more changed the course of history?

--
Mary Harrsch
University of Oregon

Home page:
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharrsch/
Photo archive:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
(Free use for non-commercial educational purposes)

Editor
Roman Times
http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/%7Emharr...anwonders.html
"What we do in life echoes through eternity
What say you, VNNers?

Last edited by Steve B; November 18th, 2005 at 03:10 AM.

Old November 15th, 2005 #2
Angle

Angle

Caesar was an epileptic. Haven't seen the show.

'At the end of his life he organized a financial offering for the poor in Jerusalem [Jew city] from the gentile churches he had founded.' - St. Paul [Jew], Oxford Companion to Class. Civ.

Old November 15th, 2005 #3
uppinatta

And Caesar was gay. And had syphilis. And a foot fetish. And.........

Old November 15th, 2005 #4
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

SUNOFSPARTA

I've been watching it, and enjoying it quite q bit.
Few,if any Niggers or Asians;so it meets my personal criteria for viewing.I'm sure it's riddled with Jews.

I think the history is well portrayed,as best it can be.The people seem to really act like Real Romans;very religious,yet very sexual,cruel,forceful,deceitful,intelligent,clandestine,greedy and tough.All the things that embodied a people who literally forced civilization to get up off it's ass and become a nation,culture and human beings.

There seems to be a lot of politics and intrigue,which is exactly what I'd expect for a place thought to be the center of the world at the time.It's about the best thing I've seen on TV in a long time.
The Roman Empire is one of the proudest parts of White History,even for all it's mistakes and mishaps.
Without the advancements the Romans brought to civilization, by way of the Greeks,most of us would be still living in mud huts along side of rivers like the stinking Niggers,Asians and Indians still do.

Old November 15th, 2005 #5
Angle

Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppinatta

You're a fucking faggot.

'At the end of his life he organized a financial offering for the poor in Jerusalem [Jew city] from the gentile churches he had founded.' - St. Paul [Jew], Oxford Companion to Class. Civ.

Old November 15th, 2005 #6
Angle

Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppinatta

... you're a fucking faggot.

Old November 15th, 2005 #7
Dan Allan

Dan Allan

I don't have HeeBO, I'd like to see it though. Hopefully it will be on DVD.

Old November 15th, 2005 #8
uppinatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle
... you're a fucking faggot.
Fuck off, limey.

Old November 16th, 2005 #9
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

I would like to watch this, but no we don't have anything but the $12 a month cable, and I would unplug that if I could get away with it.

I'm still soaking up what I read this weekend, that Emperor Commodus actually fought in gladatorial contests. I know that was in the movie "Gladiator," but I figured that was just artistic license.

Thread