Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > Loxist Culture > Music
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

View Poll Results: Zeppelin or The Stones -- who's the all-time #1?
Led Zeppelin 59 80.82%
The Rolling Stones 15 20.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Display Modes Share
Old January 2nd, 2006 #81
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone

Neither has Led Zeppelin. The Stones were recording great music 5 or 6 years before Zep even started, and had some decent tunes after Page and Co.'s last good one.

Ya, Plant showed great dignity in the mid-Eighties. Page geezered on with Paul Rodgers, was it? Terrible stuff.

Seems like they were still trying to make a buck and failed.
Well of course Zeppelin hasn't put out any decent material since the 70's. They broke up in the latter half of that decade...remember? Sure, they did one or two reunion shows for charities and such, but that was about it.

And yes, Plant did put out mostly bombs in his solo career (though "Tall Cool One" and "Big Log" were pretty decent, IMO), but we're talking about Led Zeppelin and what they've contributed to rock -- not solo efforts. Besides, do you think Jagger's solo effort back in the 80's was any better than Plant's? Bet you can't name one song off the top of your head that he did on his own...

btw -- Page himself put out some pretty good shit post-Zep with The Firm (with the great Paul Rodgers of Bad Co. fame on vocals) if you remember. Ever hear "Radioactive" or "Satisfaction Guaranteed?"

And at least Zep's not still running around stage (or should I say "hobbling?") as a band, trying to act like a bunch of twenty-year olds. They know how embarrassing that would be. Jagger himself -- though admitting in a seventies interview that he'd look ridiculous performing live after age 40 -- apparently let his lust for $$$ get the best of him in this regard.

Old January 2nd, 2006 #82
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
And I sure the fuck hope I wouldn't be able to dance to any of Zep's tunes. They were a rock band, not KC and The Sunshine band. Besides, the only way a gf of mine could get me on a dance floor was if I was slugging down a fifth of JD en route to whatever bar/club we decided on. I hated dancing then as I do now. Only did it for the pussy.
LOL!

Hoax, did you ever see "The Full Monty"? The English guys standing in the unemployment line all started dancing to "Hot Stuff" at the same time? Hilarious.

Many of us "Aryans" back then danced to that stuff (with some lubrication). The Stones had some great dance tunes, along side the kick-ass rock and roll stuff...sometimes one and the same! Greatness!

Zeppelin was for sitting around smokin the doobs reflectin on how great Zeppelin was.

Two different things!

Old January 2nd, 2006 #83
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
BWA HA HA. I seem to recall him fronting The Honey Drippers with a curly mullet framing his even then lined face.

And shaking his ass, Key, a thousand times yes, as you've said a thousand times...but Jagger is still doing it!
Jagger's still doing it, ya. Still don't know how. However, reports from friends who still spend their dough on live shows say the Stones can still turn in a good set of music, especially when it's the blues. Ronnie Wood still hasn't developed arthritis, I suppose.

The Mummy can still do some licks.

Where is Pagey? Too dignified to perform? Can't?

Old January 2nd, 2006 #84
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Jagger's still doing it, ya. Still don't know how. However, reports from friends who still spend their dough on live shows say the Stones can still turn in a good set of music, especially when it's the blues. Ronnie Wood still hasn't developed arthritis, I suppose.

The Mummy can still do some licks.

Where is Pagey? Too dignified to perform? Can't?
Nah, nothing quite as harmful to his health as that. Woody's just suffering from a severe crack addiction is all -- at least according to an interview I read with Keef in Guitar Player magazine a month or so back. Said he might not be able to do the tour (was he?)

How embarrassing: to be hooked on crack at what?...61, 62 years of age?

I'd imagine that Page, knowing that he isn't quite the guitar god he once was, has had the decency to let that Les Paul sit undisturbed in a corner of his house somewhere...

Apparently he still has a sense of pride, unlike you know who.

Old January 2nd, 2006 #85
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
LOL!

Hoax, did you ever see "The Full Monty?" The English guys standing in the unemployment line all started dancing to "Hot Stuff" at the same time? Hilarious.

Many of us "Aryans" back then danced to that stuff (with some lubrication). The Stones had some great dance tunes, along side the kick-ass rock and roll stuff...sometimes one and the same! Greatness!

Zeppelin was for sitting around smokin the doobs reflectin on how great Zeppelin was.

Two different things!
Til you mentioned it, I'd never even heard of it. I did a search, read up on it, and started laughing my ass off. I'll have to catch it someday.

As far as The Stones having "some great dance tunes" goes, hey, I say they were just cashing in on the disco craze of the late 70's. Understand this, and you'll understand The Stones: they'll do anything for a buck. Mick the Miser's got quite a rep as a businessman in rock circles. As I've said -- at one time the band may have been more into the music than the money, but not anymore. It's $$$ all the way for these guys, baby.

Old January 2nd, 2006 #86
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Though in his nineties, Les Paul still plays out once a week, according to an article I recently read.
Yes, the geezer's still going strong as he's nearing the century mark. I read recently about a special celebration in his honor attended by many guitar greats, both has-beens and current hotshots. Paul actually shred -- well, maybe "plucked" would be a more accurate description -- a solo or two at the gala event. Must have been a hoot.

catch y'all tomorrow.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; January 3rd, 2006 at 06:02 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2006 #87
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Quote:
Uh-uh. The APF (or Valhalla factor) cop-out simply doesn't hold vasser. Remember in another thread where I informed you that Zep was outselling The Bones in US record sales 3 to 1 before their breakup? That # coincides exactly with the board member votes.

And as far as Zeppers not having the energy to perform anymore, you yourself admitted that The Stones haven't put out a halfway decent album since the 70's. Even if Bonzo hadn't died, I believe Zep would have at least had the sense (not to mention self-respect) to have called it quits if the quality of their material nose-dived as did Mick and company's. You've also admitted that at this point The $tones are only in it for the money...a contention that is backed-up by their charging top dollar to attend one of their concerts.
Reminds me of another band that I love, AC/DC, whose front man Brian Johnson was just on the radio with Alice Cooper discussing their concerts. They said that "the suits" at the record companies were incensed with them for under-charging for seats on their recent tours. Apparently, the kikes are mad at these fellows for this but as Brian Johnson said "how many millions do you need?" Well, I was a little ashamed after hearing that, because if it were me, I could put a billion dollars to work if I had it. But, I really appreciated the generosity towards the fans that this shows, and the sense of moderation in the money area, that Slick Mick doesnt have. Obviously.

PS Brian Johnson apparently has an interest in the works of Homer and ancient Greece. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Johnson

Quote:
Helen of Troy musical
Johnson has worked on a musical entitled Helen of Troy for most of the past decade. He was inspired to write his own musical after seeing Cats and thinking it was "fuckin' shit, wrist-cuttingly bad." The topic of Helen of Troy was chosen by chance: "One day I was sitting through a boring musical and thought: 'I can do better than this.' I thumbed through the program and there was an advertisement for a bank with gold coins tumbling out of a wooden horse. That triggered the idea for Helen of Troy. It was as simple as that."

Songs from the musical, co-written with Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais (creators of the popular television series Auf Wiedersehen, Pet, about Geordie builders in Germany), were given a public premiere on June 13, 2005, in New York, although the full show has yet to be performed; Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan and veteran actor Malcolm McDowell have indicated they will participate.

The show is also in development as a ballet, under the guidance of Robert de Warren, artistic director of the Sarasota Ballet and former head of the Northern Ballet in Leeds, England.

Earlier that year, Johnson appeared in an episode of the television series The Goddess Odyssey, in which he explored remote areas of Greece, looking for "shrines, temples, and paths of the woman whose face launched a thousand ships and whose passion led to the downfall of a civilization," entitled "Path of Helen of Troy." He described some of the research he had done for the musical, and played some of the music from it.

Old January 3rd, 2006 #88
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
Reminds me of another band that I love, AC/DC...]
These schmucks are coming to town here, I think Jan. 13:
http://www.holefull.de/
They call themselves: "Hole full of love" and are AC/DC impersonators. Yuck! How can somebody call themselves that? If they keep that up, they might end up living up to that name themselves

Old January 3rd, 2006 #89
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Default Gloat, gloat...

Whoops! Looks like that shoddy showing for The Stones is eroding even further, huh, Key? It was about 25% for a while...

aww...

(sadistic bastard...ain't I? heh heh!)

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; January 3rd, 2006 at 10:11 PM.

Old January 3rd, 2006 #90
N.B. Forrest

Rumor has it that Jimmy is cooking up a solo effort, or at least contemplating it. If so, it may not replicate the glory of Achilles - but you can bet the coon tune it'll at least be far better than anything Ramses strangles from his geetar with those natron-dessicated digits.

As for Brian Johnson, he strikes me as a real straight-up bloke. In an interview, he tells about getting his first royalty check: "Our house was mortgaged to the hilt - and this guy at the building society was always on at us - a real git. So I went in there with 30,000 pounds cash and laid it on the table and said 'Never phone me again, you piece of shit...." :cheers:

The Young brothers also seem to be great little guys; not an ounce of rock star poseur between 'em.

Old January 3rd, 2006 #91
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest
Rumor has it that Jimmy is cooking up a solo effort, or at least contemplating it. If so, it may not replicate the glory of Achilles - but you can bet the coon tune it'll at least be far better than anything Ramses strangles from his geetar with those natron-dessicated digits.
I bought his first solo effort "Outrider" back in '88 and I hate to admit this, but, it was kind of mediocre (though "Wasting My Time" and "Writes of Winter" -- no typo on "Writes" -- were pretty good). What I really want to get is "No Introduction Necessary (Deluxe Edition 2002)." I've read the reviews and they're very flattering, to say the least.

Yep, looks like my next CD.

Old January 4th, 2006 #92
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Give it up, Keystone. As a lifelong defender of democracy you must respect the will of the people, and they have spoken. The Stones' best years were already behind them when Brian Jones left or was thrown out, when Zeppelin was just forming. No one will be listening to the Stones in thirty years time. Page and Plant may not have aged much better than the Stones, but their music has.
Bah. Yer a madman.

The Stones made very solid rock and roll after BJ, probably their best. Probably the best ever. I can see folks listening to the Stones in 30 years. Zeppelin? Wherever people idle about and listen to Zep (it's the only thing you can do whilst listening to them), and respectfully murmer how great they were...they will be playing.
Quote:
In conclusion...

So now you’d better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day
Despite of all your losing.

Immigrant Song - Plant/Page
I'm all gooey inside...

Old January 4th, 2006 #93
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Whoops! Looks like that shoddy showing for The Stones is eroding even further, huh, Key? It was about 25% for a while...

aww...

(sadistic bastard...ain't I? heh heh!)
It looks like most voters in this poll have a severe rock and roll deficiency. Dr. Fever...er, Dr. Keystone has the cure my babies! Take 3 classic Stones' albums and you'll be burnin' up.

Old January 4th, 2006 #94
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
It looks like most voters in this poll have a severe rock and roll deficiency. Dr. Fever...er, Dr. Keystone has the cure my babies! Take 3 classic Stones' albums and you'll be burnin' up.
Lol! I absolutely loathed Howard Hesseman in that role. Hymiewood's version of what "cool" is, I suppose...

"Heeey, we're gonna get down now with some....Satis-...fac-...tion, fellow babies!" "Fellow babies"? Where the hell did he come up with that crap?!

Oh, and btw -- speaking of "deficiencies", The Geritol Gang should be worrying more about about their iron deficiencies these days...don't ya think?

I also hear tell the makers of "Depends" have asked Mick to be an official spokesman for their product. Think he'll do it? Big $$$ in that..."shit", you know.

Old January 4th, 2006 #95
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
I can see folks listening to the Stones in 30 years. Zeppelin? Wherever people idle about and listen to Zep (it's the only thing you can do whilst listening to them), and respectfully murmer how great they WERE...
You mean like we do with The Stones now?

Old January 4th, 2006 #96
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Lol! I absolutely loathed Howard Hesseman in that role. Hymiewood's version of what "cool" is, I suppose...

"Heeey, we're gonna get down now with some....Satis-...fac-...tion, fellow babies!" "Fellow babies"? Where the hell did he come up with that crap?!
I liked the WKRP thing. Great characters. Bailey doing the Nestles' jingle when high was worth the whole series...I was in love with Jan Smithers, man.
Quote:
I also hear tell the makers of "Depends" have asked Mick to be an official spokesman for their product. Think he'll do it? Big $$$ in that..."shit", you know.
$$$$

He'll do it.

Old January 4th, 2006 #97
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
You mean like we do with The Stones now?
Ha!

Ya. Tell you what, I just heard "Tush" on the radio and I'll probably be listening to that in 30 years if I live that long. Perfect 2:00 of seering blues, that is.

Billy Gibbons can fucking play when he's not fooling around.

Old January 5th, 2006 #98
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Ha!

Ya. Tell you what, I just heard "Tush" on the radio and I'll probably be listening to that in 30 years if I live that long. Perfect 2:00 of seering blues, that is.

Billy Gibbons can fucking play when he's not fooling around.
No shit. Though I've liked ZZ ever since they put out "Tush", I had always considered them nothing more than a bunch of three-chord (though "cool-sounding") half-assed musicians, just like those over-played punks, BTO. But, several years back I heard a tune they cut called "Dust My Broom" on a blues-rock station. The damn thing just blew my argyles off it was so friggin' good. Gibbons' axework is very good indeed, whenever he wants to show it off -- which is not often enough IMO.

Now, enough of ZZ, you master of the red herring toss -- let's get back to the real subject at hand: Zep vs. The Stones...

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; January 5th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.

Old January 5th, 2006 #99
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Default Wkrp

Quote:

"Heeey, we're gonna get down now with some....Satis-...fac-...tion, fellow babies!" "Fellow babies"? Where the hell did he come up with that crap?!........
Let's not let this degenerate into a discussion of Loni Anderson's breasts OK? I know some lewd person will bring that up. No talking about her nipples either! No, no, no! That would be irrelevant to this thread.

Old January 5th, 2006 #100
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

It just so happens I have like 8 CDs by ZZtop and I have had the great pleasure of seeing them live. Through a Jack Daniels induced haze, I saw them, but mightily enjoyed the occasion.

Their best song from the more recent era is the one about Mississippi.

Thread