Administrator

Default Difference in Mentality: Rich vs Middle Class

well worth reading and thinking about

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-r...he-poor-2012-8

Old September 1st, 2012 #2
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Most of it is bullshit, things like:

Average people let [lack of] money stress them out. Rich people find peace of mind in [their already acquired] wealth.

and:

Average people live beyond their [already insufficent] means. Rich people live below theirs [because they have far more than they need].

Old September 1st, 2012 #3
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Bottom line about wealth, if you're broke, more often than not, the primary responsibility lies with the individual themselves.

Old September 1st, 2012 #4
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
Bottom line about wealth, if you're broke, more often than not, the primary responsibility lies with the individual themselves.
I really don't think it is possible for everyone to end up rich. A few people will be lucky and be born into a family that already has wealth, will put them through college, and have the right connections to help them make it.

Most people don't have that advantage, and unless they happen to do all the right things and be at the right place at the right time, they probably are going to live out a pretty average existence.

And then if you happen to have the misfortune of being born into a family that is on the bottom end of the economic spectrum; you probably aren't going to get very far unless you are exceptionally gifted, disciplined and driven, and above all lucky.

Old September 1st, 2012 #5
Shockley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
I really don't think it is possible for everyone to end up rich. A few people will be lucky and be born into a family that already has wealth, will put them through college, and have the right connections to help them make it.

Most people don't have that advantage, and unless they happen to do all the right things and be at the right place at the right time, they probably are going to live out a pretty average existence.

And then if you happen to have the misfortune of being born into a family that is on the bottom end of the economic spectrum; you probably aren't going to get very far unless you are exceptionally gifted, disciplined and driven, and above all lucky.
None of that matters with gooks. They stick together, cheat as much as possible, deny it to the end, and pool their family money together. that's why they end up having things, not because of talent.

Old September 1st, 2012 #6
M.N. Dalvez

You know what, Alex?!? Fuck that fat cunt Gina Rinehart!

She was born into massive wealth and massive assets, which she inherited from her old man Lang Hancock. She has never wanted for a single thing in her entire life.

She has increased what she inherited by a lot, that much is true, but she's done it largely by exploiting Commonwealth resources for her own private enrichment, and by being one of the primary big capitalists responsible for pressuring the government into importing every piece of turd world trash into Australia to work for cheap in one of her mines.

Oh! And at the same time, she wants the government to lower the minimum wage. To 'stimulate growth', she says. Of course, the fact that she'll make billions more a year when she doesn't have to pay her people as much is purely coincidental! Why, the woman's a bona fide philanthropist!

At least Kerry Packer (similar case, inherited a lot from his old man and made it a lot more than it was) never pretended to be anything but a capitalist. And at least he didn't shirk at paying people what their jobs were worth, and didn't continually try to lower the standard of living in this country.

That's why most Australians still have at least some respect for the man - that, and the side of him that was decidedly prole.

Quote:
I really don't think it is possible for everyone to end up rich.
Of course not. Anyone can (theoretically) get rich; not everyone can get rich. Because then the word would have no meaning.

When I was born, my parents had fuck-all. I have earned, and continue to earn, enough to keep myself and my family in good fashion for the rest of my life, and to ensure my kids won't want for anything before they turn 18, and will have a good kickstart when they do embark on their own adult lives. Anything more would be a bit pointless, really. And to make more, I'd have to stop developing my own skills in order to devote myself full-time to business.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #7
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
I don't think everyone can end up rich (and I guess we will have to quantify what "rich" means) but I do believe, as I said in my OP, that being habitually broke is most often the cause of the individual more than any other factor.

You don't have to attend college to be successful in many cases (I didn't), but should someone desire to, there are lots of ways to pay for it.

Quote:
Most people are pretty average, Steve. That's why it's called "average".

Old September 2nd, 2012 #8
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Rich College Dropouts

I was impressed with this quote. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs come to mind as far as college dropouts.

Quote:

Average people think the road to riches is paved with formal education. Rich people believe in acquiring specific knowledge. "Many world-class performers have little formal education, and have amassed their wealth through the acquisition and subsequent sale of specific knowledge," he writes."Meanwhile, the masses are convinced that master's degrees and doctorates are the way to wealth, mostly because they are trapped in the linear line of thought that holds them back from higher levels of consciousness...The wealthy aren't interested in the means, only the end.

"From Steve Siebold, author of "How Rich People Think.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-r...or-2012-8?op=1

Old September 2nd, 2012 #9
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
I was impressed with this quote. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs come to mind as far as college dropouts.
Fortunes are made by a lot of unlikely people, it's mostly just the luck of being involved with a product that people want at the right time.

It also helps if you are Jewish, a la Mo Siegle (Celestial Seasonings tea), Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield (Ben & Jerry's ice cream), Michael Dell (Dell computers), etc.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; September 2nd, 2012 at 02:23 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2012 #10
Fenria
Self imposed ban

Quote:
On the other hand, middle class take jobs they don't enjoy "because they need the money and they've been trained in school and conditioned by society to live in a linear thinking world that equates earning money with physical or mental effort."
Well, isn't that how you earn money? With some form of mental or physical effort? The only ones earning money without those two factors are jews and their white lackeys.

Personally, I like being working class. It teaches you things you can't learn any other way. The value of your labor, just how much shit you're prepared to put up with, how to take constructive criticism, true happiness and true sadness, and how to live cheaply. It gives you a proverbial ear to the ground and makes you accessible to other working class people, which is to your own benefit. Working class people have certain knowledge about the world gleaned from multiple experiences that can't be bought. It has to be lived through.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #11
Kievsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenria View Post
Well, isn't that how you earn money? With some form of mental or physical effort? The only ones earning money without those two factors are jews and their white lackeys.

Personally, I like being working class. It teaches you things you can't learn any other way. The value of your labor, just how much shit you're prepared to put up with, how to take constructive criticism, true happiness and true sadness, and how to live cheaply. It gives you a proverbial ear to the ground and makes you accessible to other working class people, which is to your own benefit. Working class people have certain knowledge about the world gleaned from multiple experiences that can't be bought. It has to be lived through.
That's quite true, Fenria. however, no matter what your financial status, it's very important to teach your kids math/science/engineering becuase of the dystopian robot future. everything is going to be automated, including retail jobs like Walgreens and Walmart.

the only decent jobs will involve "administerting the complexity," which will require someone who knows calculus, physics, statistics, and the ability to learn programming and electronics.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #12
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
That's quite true, Fenria. however, no matter what your financial status, it's very important to teach your kids math/science/engineering becuase of the dystopian robot future. everything is going to be automated, including retail jobs like Walgreens and Walmart.

the only decent jobs will involve "administerting the complexity," which will require someone who knows calculus, physics, statistics, and the ability to learn programming and electronics.
There had better be some people that know how to grow crops and slaughter animals. I have a feeling that the Brave New World of the Future may actually be another Dark Ages.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #13
Kievsky

This article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-r...or-2012-8?op=1

is utter nonsense about real rich people. It writes about the rich as though they are these great Zen masters, who "teach their children how to get rich."

Has this writer known any rich families and their life histories? Because Lord knows I have. My father was a flight instructor so I met rich families through him, and also I went to high school in a town with lots of old money and some new money. Rich families are very messed up. Drug addicts, they usually end up dead in either drug overdoses, car accidents, boating accidents or plane crashes.

The main problem is that the rich parents don't spend time with their kids. They are too busy either working or pleasuring, and they figure if the kid is will provisioned, he or she can "fend for himself." The girls of rich parents end up with abusive alpha male types (often blacks nowadays).

Teach your kids math and science and technology so they can survive the dystopian robot future. Don't worry about the Asian H1-B competition, the Asians are often pretty messed up. They can't get laid, they are video game addicts, they are socially awkward and turn to extreme Islam because life in the USA doesn't reward them as they hoped. I see it first hand because I take math and science classes at a local university.

The worst thing is to despair, because despair leads to inaction. Start by learning calculus (or precalculus and trig and algebra as necessary) for fun. Even if you don't do anything with it, maybe yiou'll teach it to your kids or nephews and nieces or something.

In the dystopian robot future, you're going to need to be able to maintain the complexity -- in other words, math/physics/programming.

Old September 4th, 2012 #14
Kievsky

Quote:
There had better be some people that know how to grow crops and slaughter animals. I have a feeling that the Brave New World of the Future may actually be another Dark Ages.
That too, of course. Perhaps a new feudalism, which need not be such a bad thing. the feudal lords of tomorrow can arrange the marriages of their own children (of course) and of their serfs to ensure racial integrity and eugenics.

Old September 4th, 2012 #15
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kievsky View Post
That too, of course. Perhaps a new feudalism, which need not be such a bad thing. the feudal lords of tomorrow can arrange the marriages of their own children (of course) and of their serfs to ensure racial integrity and eugenics.
Feudalism is exactly what the New World Order of the super rich elite (half of whom are Jews) is all about. They want a society where the peasants (all the rest of us) labor for and depend upon the crumbs from the table of the aristocracy.

Old September 6th, 2012 #16
M.N. Dalvez

"We need to create a large special economic zone in our north, stretching across northern Queensland, northern Western Australia and the Northern Territory, with fewer regulations and taxes, a region that truly welcomes investment and people," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-0...uctive/4243866

Yep that's exactly what Australia needs.

Anyone who runs any mine in Australia gets to hire masses of slave labour from Africa for $2 a day.

Anyone who runs a mine gets to throw the safety standards right out the window.

Oh! And Gina Rinehart, Andrew Forrest, etc, they all get to pay drastically reduced tax for the service of flooding Australia with African slave labour!

Yeah, Alex, the rich have so much to teach us...

Old September 16th, 2012 #17
H.B.

That is a great article and says so much with so little. We should be modeling our lives on the rich and not the mediocre.

One I just thought of: regular people seek to avoid discomfort. Rich people look to maximize opportunity, even at the point of putting themselves in uncomfortable positions.

Also, I have never met any rich people who were whiners. They tend to be hard working, focused and upbeat.

Also, being rich does not mean being moral - I have know some real dirt bags who were wealthy. Yet, it takes quite a number of virtues to acquire wealth.

Old September 17th, 2012 #18
Crowe

Its not possible for everyone to climb to the top of the ladder. But not everyone tries to. I'd be far too generous to my employees if I was a business owner, to the point where I'd be cutting myself short, especially if they had families.

I believe there is something morally wrong with any individual if money and wealth motivates them so much that they seek to gain it at any cost.

Old September 18th, 2012 #19
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
Its not possible for everyone to climb to the top of the ladder. But not everyone tries to. I'd be far too generous to my employees if I was a business owner, to the point where I'd be cutting myself short, especially if they had families.

I believe there is something morally wrong with any individual if money and wealth motivates them so much that they seek to gain it at any cost.
Ronald Reagan used to talk about "trickle down" economics - the notion that if the rich were allowed to make as much money as possible (by deregulation and tax-breaks) that their prosperity would "trickle down" to everyone else.

This is actually "shrivel up" economics. The rich are rich because they save their money, so when they make more money, it doesn't get spent, it goes out of the economy and into their bank accounts. The poor spend everything they earn because they have no choice - they don't earn enough to pay for everything that they need and there is none left to save because it all goes back into the economy.

So when the rich are allowed to exploit the poor by paying them minimum wage in order to keep a maximum profit for themselves, the economy starts to "shrivel up", the poor have less money to spend and the rich hoard their extra money away, piling up their billions, and the economy suffers because of it.

Old September 18th, 2012 #20
Leonard Rouse
Celebrating My Diversity

Quote:
Ronald Reagan used to talk about "trickle down" economics - the notion that if the rich were allowed to make as much money as possible (by deregulation and tax-breaks) that their prosperity would "trickle down" to everyone else.

This is actually "shrivel up" economics. The rich are rich because they save their money, so when they make more money, it doesn't get spent, it goes out of the economy and into their bank accounts.
This is at least the second time you've asserted this particular absurdity.

When money is deposited, it goes back out into the economy, with a multiplier effect due to reinvestment. If your beloved government weren't taking a huge cut and transferring it to humanoids of the MD 20/20 class--here and abroad--the effect would be even greater.

You're embittered because you don't get a transfer payment, and no one has been stupid enough to invest in your pseudo-clan, Fakins.

Thread