Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 20th, 2020 #1
steven clark

Default Wild Mountain Thyme

A new movie about Ireland. Here, Emily Blunt plays Rosemary, a woman who runs her own farm and has an on again off again romance with Anthony (Jaime Dornan), a neighboring farmer who thinks he's a bee. There's also a very contrary horse, if you're into that sort of thing.

His father, Christopher Walken, is trying to get Rosemary to sell out so he can get part of her property. As an actor, Walken is past his shelf life, but he does okay here.

An American is brought to seduce Rosemary. Not very successful, but he's kind of nice looking. She also sings Wild Mountain Thyme, and it's a good performance of a nice, traditional folk song. Noi rap or rock.

It's not a very deep film, and critics have lambasted the wayward Irish accents, although I didn't notice anything really awful, and the story is kind of lame and likable at the same time. I see it as a Lifetime TV film with a superior cast, and probably a good date movie. And you can bring the kids, if you son't mind a few swear words and lots of smoking...if that annoys you.

The Irish settings are good, and, thankfully, it's all white. There is a pub scene where you see a black hand on a stein, and a Chinese woman in the background.
No obligatory wise negroes or Nigerian priests.

I was miffed by one critic noting the scene where Jaime 'falls out of a rowboat.' He does indeed do that, but it is not a rowboat but coracle, an ancient Welsh/Irish circular boat made of willow rods and bark.

As I said, not any great shakes, but I found it enjoyable. Noted at the movie theater I went to, a four cinema complex with exactly twelve people watching films on this Saturday night, half of them came to Wild Mountain Thyme.

Thread