VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2941
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Today the word swag is used by radio announcers to describe free advertising products and prize give-aways. I thought it was a relatively new use for a word that previously described a type of lamp. Today however, I saw it again in a book written by C S Lewis in 1958: ‘Some young hooligans...had already sold the swag, and some had previous convictions against them’. Would you have any insight into the origins of this word?

A Swag has a surprising number of meanings. It has been around for at least 200 years for a thief’s plunder or booty, the sense that C S Lewis was using. The idea of give-aways is more recent, but even that has a longer history than one might guess from the comparatively recent American usage you quote. And, of course, among other meanings, swag is also the Australian word for a bundle of personal belongings, especially a bedroll, carried by a traveller, tramp, or swagman.

It looks as though all these can be traced back to a word imported into Middle English from Scandinavian svagga, to sway (in fact, it’s the origin of sway as well). At first, the verb meant to rock unsteadily or lurch, but evolved into that of hanging loosely or heavily, to sag. Another sense of swag I haven’t yet mentioned comes from the same idea — for an ornamental festoon, or for fabric fastened so it hangs in a drooping curve; this was first recorded at the end of the eighteenth century. It’s also the origin of the American swag lamp sense you mention, in which the lamp’s electrical cable hangs in a swag.

Originally, a thief’s swag was a bag of stolen clothes or the like. This and the Australian swag derive from the idea of a bundle that sags or hangs down. Think of the stereotypical image of a tramp with his swag hanging from a pole over his shoulder; it’s not accidental that in cartoons the thief’s swag is always shown in a sack.

However, there’s some suggestion there was another word involved, also Scandinavian, the one that led to a citation for swag in the Oxford English Dictionary from 1303. In that it meant a bulgy bag. The evidence suggests it didn’t survive in its own right, but it’s possible that it influenced later senses.

One early glossary says that swag referred to any stolen goods except money, but the evidence suggests it altered through the nineteenth century until it meant small valuable items that could be easily disposed of, such as silverware.

That idea seems to have been picked up in North American youth slang comparatively recently to mean valuables or money. The sense of freebie stuff might seem to be a development of that.

However, Jonathon Green, the author of the Cassell Dictionary of Slang, has pointed out to me a book of about 1921 by Tom Norman, a travelling fairground showman in Britain, entitled The Penny Showman. He wrote about a stall that was: “set out with the usual showman’s swag, such as fancy cups and saucers, gaudy vases, shaving mugs, etc”, that is, the cheap and tawdry prizes that might be won. Eric Partridge, in his Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English, also gives this showman’s sense, suggesting it dates from the end of the nineteenth century.

This is not so far distant from the advertising give-aways you mention, and may indeed be its direct ancestor.
Shall I translate CS Lewis into Colonial as well, or have you heard of him?

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2942
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
I was just thinking, I'm sure I've heard the word used in US programmes/films.
Now you've done it! You spelled 'programmes' in the British vernacular.
How is anybody on this side of the pond supposed to know you meant 'programs'?

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2943
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
Now you've done it! You spelled 'programmes' in the British vernacular.
How is anybody on this side of the pond supposed to know you meant 'programs'?
Oops, my bad. I was lighting a fag when I posted and didn't think. I deserve to be kicked to the kerb for that. Hopefully DEP will keep his dummy in and not berate me for that.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2944
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Fairfax's Supposed Cover Up

Quote:
Money = silver = money, or as good as.

As opposed to sticking it under his mattress or swapping it with the local dealer or any other method of disposing of it, you mean?

Good god, can nobody think for themselves?

Maybe he didn't sell it yet.

Maybe it didn't go through his bank.

Maybe he sold it privately or did not use the cash towards his house, Maybe he used the cash for something else. Maybe he still has it.

Maybe she doesn't know. Maybe her husband took care of all that.

Shit, this isn't rocket science.

So their stories tally.

.....at least, all the silver that they found.

Fear of being caught? Good god, use your brain. A little might not be missed. The whole lot would be.

Nobody said she did. Non-sequitur.

Her husband was on trial for trying to kill her. She knew he hadn't done it. She had had her mind messed with by the tapes and dirty tricks. Whaddaya want her to do, put on a Mastermindesque performance?

At the very, very least, SOMEONE had put a bomb under her car. I'd like to see you be chirpy in those circumstances.

I like facts, not must haves and maybes.

As I keep saying, I like facts, not spin. I want to know what happened for real, not what the state claims happened.

Ill gotten gains.

Used in cartoons and comedies to depict a burglar.

*snort* Like this thread?
The defense's (defence's to you) argument to the jury was that Fairfax stole $45,000 worth of silver from Steele to save his house from foreclosure. Then he planted the pipe bomb on Cyndi's vehicle to kill her and cover it up.

I am prepared to sweeten up my offer to you to deliver and install that bridge on the Thames. This is the one that I own in Lake Havasu. Send me a PM off list and we can discuss it. I have some new proposals. BTW, PM space is short and I need more.

The transcript is useful to see what Cyndi's testimony was. There is NO dispute on what the testimony was at trial of anyone. The transcript also shows what Fairfax's testimony was. Testimony by the government is little in dispute. The recording's themselves were in dispute by Cyndi. However her testimony was thoroughly discredited by Steele's own cell phone records and train whistle records. Neither of these was ever in dispute.

BTW, 37.5% of your silver stash is not a little bit. 600 ounces out of 8,000 could have been overlooked but not 3,000 ounces. The latter is a big hole in the stash.

I am sooo blessed to know what a SWAG is in Brit Speak and will be flashing that hard won knowledge.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2945
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Oops, my bad. I was lighting a fag when I posted and didn't think. I deserve to be kicked to the kerb for that. Hopefully DEP will keep his dummy in and not berate me for that.
Berate you?! You'll be lucky if he doesn't take you behind the GAR-age for a sound thrashing!*

*Brit speak for a whoopin'

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2946
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Brit Speak Fluency

Quote:
I understood programmes/programs. It was SWAG that threw me for a loop as we say. I swear that I have never heard of SWAG/swag. This won't be the first time that a non-native speaker has improved my American English vocabulary. Bev just taught me a new word in Brit Speak, "kerb". I read David Irving's website and correspond with him all of the time but "kerb" is another new one on me. I once greatly enjoyed correcting him on a spelling error. He wrote "tire" on his website instead of "tyre". He will never live it down. I am prepared to prove this boast. I happen to know what 'fag' is but most Americans will not.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2947
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Behind the Garage

Quote:
Berate you?! You'll be lucky if he doesn't take you behind the GAR-age for a sound thrashing!*

If I take my sweetie behind the garage, it won't be for a thrashing.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2948
-JC
Doesn't suffer fools well

Default I knew it...

Don and Bev, sit'n in a tree...

Behind the Garage

If I take my sweetie behind the garage, it won't be for a thrashing.

Last edited by -JC; July 23rd, 2012 at 12:31 PM.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2949
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Unterwhigger -JC's Bogus Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JC View Post
If the American people ever allow a central bank to control of the issuance of their currency, the banks and the corporations that will grow up around them will, first by inflation and then by deflation, deprive the people of their property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. –Thomas Jefferson
If you want to do something useful, get rid of that bogus quote that you falsely attribute to Thomas Jefferson, of Blessed Memory. Someone who claims to be in favor (favour to Bev) of the truth should not be spreading easily demonstrable lies.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2950
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:

Wot yer talking posh for? It's not gar-AGE, it's garIDGE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
I understood programmes/programs. It was SWAG that threw me for a loop as we say. I swear that I have never heard of SWAG/swag. This won't be the first time that a non-native speaker has improved my American English vocabulary. Bev just taught me a new word in Brit Speak, "kerb". I read David Irving's website and correspond with him all of the time but "kerb" is another new one on me. I once greatly enjoyed correcting him on a spelling error. He wrote "tire" on his website instead of "tyre". He will never live it down. I am prepared to prove this boast. I happen to know what 'fag' is but most Americans will not.
Tyre always confuses me. I know we spell it tyre, but that looks French to me and I always want to spell it tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C
Don and Bev, sit'n in a tree...

Quote:
The defense's (defence's to you) argument to the jury was that Fairfax stole $45,000 worth of silver from Steele to save his house from foreclosure. Then he planted the pipe bomb on Cyndi's vehicle to kill her and cover it up.

I am prepared to sweeten up my offer to you to deliver and install that bridge on the Thames. This is the one that I own in Lake Havasu. Send me a PM off list and we can discuss it. I have some new proposals. BTW, PM space is short and I need more.

The transcript is useful to see what Cyndi's testimony was. There is NO dispute on what the testimony was at trial of anyone. The transcript also shows what Fairfax's testimony was. Testimony by the government is little in dispute. The recording's themselves were in dispute by Cyndi. However her testimony was thoroughly discredited by Steele's own cell phone records and train whistle records. Neither of these was ever in dispute.

BTW, 37.5% of your silver stash is not a little bit. 600 ounces out of 8,000 could have been overlooked but not 3,000 ounces. The latter is a big hole in the stash.

I am sooo blessed to know what a SWAG is in Brit Speak and will be flashing that hard won knowledge.

I'll pass on the bridge. I have one of my own that I'm selling but mine is ready built on swamp land in Florida. I have nearly negotiated a price with andy - we've been discussing it since Bin Laden "died".

I don't get the relevance of the amount of silver that's been twocked. (taken without owner's consent). If it's been had, it's been had.
Quote:
Testimony by the government is little in dispute.
Will you say that by candlelight whilst looking in a mirror? Repeat it three times at midnight and by then I might have stopped ing.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2951
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Disputed Government Testimony

I remember only one testimony by the government that is under dispute. That is whether or not Steele shit his pants when they told him that he was under arrest. Several Idaho Highway Patrolmen testified that they smelled it and one FBI agent concurred. Inquiring minds want to know the truth.

Steele's underpants were never introduced into evidence. I blame Steele's scum sucking lawyer for that unless of course Steele was lying about not shitting his pants. That was a tragedy of justice. In the unlikely event that he gets a new trial, I expect the underpants to be admitted.

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; July 23rd, 2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2952
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
I remember only one testimony by the government that is under dispute. That is whether or not Steele shit his pants when they told him that he was under arrest. Several Idaho Highway Patrolmen testified that they smelled it and one FBI agent concurred. Inquiring minds want to know the truth.

Steele's underpants were never introduced into evidence. I blame Steele's scum sucking lawyer for that unless of course Steele was lying about not shitting his pants. That was a tragedy of justice. In the unlikely event that he gets a new trial, I expect the underpants to be admitted.
Why does this matter? Whether he did or he didn't has no bearing on it. He's an old guy, knows that if he gets found guilty he's not going to see daylight again, thinks if his wife believes the tale she and his kids will probably be through with him - is it so startling that he was scared?

This just a rules for radicals make a mockery smear, even if it's true.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2953
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Shisenhosen

Quote:
Why does this matter? Whether he did or he didn't has no bearing on it. He's an old guy, knows that if he gets found guilty he's not going to see daylight again, thinks if his wife believes the tale she and his kids will probably be through with him - is it so startling that he was scared?

This just a rules for radicals make a mockery smear, even if it's true.
Since you haven't read the transcript I just wanted you to get a feeling for the fact that the testimony of government agents was little in dispute. It was a swearing contest between Fairfax and Cyndi with the recordings breaking any ties. Fairfax won hands down even without the recordings. The recordings alone would have settled the contest I think. I have not been able to lay my hands on them just yet. Work is in progress.

There was no testimony about what percentage of time an average defendant shits his pants when told that he is under arrest. For the present purpose I will assume that he shit his pants but this of course has not been proven. Steele was at that time an experienced trial lawyer both in civil and criminal matters. Had he not done what the government claimed, it seems to me that this would have been his thought process.

[These stupid SOB's! I will have this straightened out in 30 minutes time. Then I will sue every one of them for every penny (pence to you) that they are worth. I am a rich man in my retirement! (shit eating grin on his face)(advise if I should translate into Brit Speak)]

If he did what they claimed that he did, AND he was crazy, here would be his thought process.

[They got me! I never dreamed in a million years that they would figure it out! (smell of fecal material) I may never get to be with my honey!]

If the several police and FBI agents were lying about Steele shitting his pants, that would have severely discredited their testimony regarding setting Steele up with a false death report of his wife. That alone would have given him a likely acquittal. My money says that Steele is lying. He had the option of introducing his underwear as evidence. By his own admission at sentencing, they were still in his jail property. Steele told lies by the dozens that I caught him in. So did his wife.

I never managed to catch Fairfax in a single lie. All other witnesses were completely credible except for Fairfax's graphic artist. His story about designing artwork for Fairfax's jail house book was never corroborated but was also never contradicted. It impressed me as being a bit dubious. The graphics artist is also a convicted felon for multiple times and had double crossed his patron Fairfax by testifying against him. This testimony was of small importance however.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2954
Atkins
No Limit Nigga!

Quote:
This is a hard search because of the short length. See http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/2...-theyre-insane , http://www.vanguardnewsnetwork.com/2...n-american-jew and by another http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t391502/#1 (end of post),

It is sometimes seen as G_d and G*d, but G-d is preferred to best hurt a Jew's feelings. It is most common way that they write it. They cringe when they see it written by a Nazi. I have done this for years and it is fairly common by other Nazis/White Nationalists. Rabid is taken as a badge of honor by me when it comes to the Jewish Question.
I looked up your links, searched them and, as I suspected, they show no pattern of postings by Alex where he uses G-d.

And now you're going scatological.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2955
Hell Raising Woman
Jews are not superior

Location: USA - House of Babylonia where greed, immigration and homosexuality flourishes and the jews love it.

Just the mere statement from the ADL hired FBI agents stating the FBI didn't know who Steele was is a strong indication that the goons are lying and there's a major cover up. The FBI just doesn't show up on an unknown doorstep without being briefed on who the person is. They can pull up pages and pages on an individual, and they also closely monitor anyone who is associated with WN movement and anything having to do with anyone who is known to show racial hatred toward non-whites or shows an active interest in advocating for White interests.

In addition, Fairfax was a stooge for the ADL's FBI to infiltrate and set a person up. That's what they do. Besides, what does the FBI have to do with a pipe bomb anyway on a racialist's car anyway? Why didn't the local police handle this case all the way through? Why did the FBI become so involved in this? Why did Fairfax call the FBI/his attorney told him to if this is how the FBI was notified? This is very suspicious in of itself.

You believing that the FBI Israeli stand ins' statement has got to be one of the funniest coming from you, Donald duck. You have got to be either crazy yourself or very naive.

The supposed FBI agent that busted Matt Hale proudly went on TV showing himself off. That fat pig looked more like an Israeli agent than a FBI agent.

You really should know better.

Jews -- tall, tall, tall, tales they tell. Famous fairytale storytellers of the Holocaust.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2956
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Second Rate Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Raising Woman View Post
Just the mere statement from the ADL hired FBI agents stating the FBI didn't know who Steele was is a strong indication that the goons are lying and there's a major cover up. The FBI just doesn't show up on an unknown doorstep without being briefed on who the person is. They can pull up pages and pages on an individual, and they also closely monitor anyone who is associated with WN movement and anything having to do with anyone who is known to show racial hatred toward non-whites or shows an active interest in advocating for White interests.

In addition, Fairfax was a stooge for the ADL's FBI to infiltrate and set a person up. That's what they do. Besides, what does the FBI have to do with a pipe bomb anyway on a racialist's car anyway? Why didn't the local police handle this case all the way through? Why did the FBI become so involved in this? Why did Fairfax call the FBI/his attorney told him to if this is how the FBI was notified? This is very suspicious in of itself.

You believing that the FBI Israeli stand ins' statement has got to be one of the funniest coming from you, Donald duck. You have got to be either crazy yourself or very naive.

The supposed FBI agent that busted Matt Hale proudly went on TV showing himself off. That fat pig looked more like an Israeli agent than a FBI agent.

You really should know better.
Had you read the transcript or the thread, you would know that the Famous But Incompetent Idaho agent testified under oath that he didn't know who Steele was before he was arrested. He implied that Steele was too insignificant to be noticed. He was a bit player compared to Mr Linder. Many claim that Steele suffered from delusions of self importance. See the previous page or so. I take no position on this issue.

Another FBI agent filed an affidavit under oath that Steele had lied about ever contacting them about the threatening phone calls he had received. He claimed to have searched the entire FBI database for this. This made Cyndi look like a liar on the stand. She may have not known that her husband had lied to her when he told her that he had reported the calls. I caught both of them in dozens of lies.

You implication is correct that it was a bit of a stretch to get the FBI involved in this case. Fairfax's lawyer contacted the FBI. They got Fairfax to travel to Oregon to check on the pipe bomb on Cyndi's car. This crossed state lines and made it a Federal case. I don't know that the ATF has clear jurisdiction unless state lines are crossed. It could also be argued that this was entrapment.

Idaho state law would have covered this pipe bomb as well and was really more appropriate. Idaho law would have given Steele about the same sentence as he got in Federal prison. A recent California pipe bomber got about the same sentence in California prison. These are all weaselly lawyer points however. When you try to get your wife blown up with a pipe bomb, you can expect the bomb squad to get involved.

Steele's politics had NOTHING to do with this case. The U.S. Attorney also stated that she didn't even know who Steele was when the FBI came to her with the case.

BTW, the judge made a point of keeping both Jew lovers and Nazis off the jury.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2957
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile No Internet Sleuth Jobs for You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atkins View Post
I looked up your links, searched them and, as I suspected, they show no pattern of postings by Alex where he uses G-d.

And now you're going scatological.
Two out of three were Mr Linder's posts. You are a candidate for promotion to Unterwhigger.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2958
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Two out of three were Mr Linder's posts. You are a candidate for promotion to Unterwhigger.
You consider "Unterwhigger" to be a promotion. Hmmm...interesting.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2959
Hell Raising Woman
Jews are not superior

Location: USA - House of Babylonia where greed, immigration and homosexuality flourishes and the jews love it.

Had you read the transcript or the thread, you would know that the Famous But Incompetent Idaho agent testified under oath that he didn't know who Steele was before he was arrested. He implied that Steele was too insignificant to be noticed.

Again, I laugh.

He was a bit player compared to Mr Linder. Many claim that Steele suffered from delusions of self importance. See the previous page or so. I take no position on this issue.

Many who? Delusions of self importance: This statement claim to be true before or after his surgery? Where's the evidence?

Another FBI agent filed an affidavit under oath that Steele had lied about ever contacting them about the threatening phone calls he had received. He claimed to have searched the entire FBI database for this.

And did this goon search the whole world over, too?

You implication is correct that it was a bit of a stretch to get the FBI involved in this case. Fairfax's lawyer contacted the FBI. They got Fairfax to travel to Oregon to check on the pipe bomb on Cyndi's car. This crossed state lines and made it a Federal case.

Pretty damn convenient of them.

Idaho state law would have covered this pipe bomb as well and was really more appropriate. Idaho law would have given Steele about the same sentence as he got in Federal prison. A recent California pipe bomber got about the same sentence in California prison. These are all weaselly lawyer points however. When you try to get your wife blown up with a pipe bomb, you can expect the bomb squad to get involved.

One has to wonder who paid the FBI to get involved.

Steele's politics had NOTHING to do with this case. The U.S. Attorney also stated that she didn't even know who Steele was when the FBI came to her with the case.

LOL. Again, I have to laugh at the absurdity in trying hard to deny or claim - Gee, I don't know bullshit.

BTW, the judge made a point of keeping both Jew lovers and Nazis off the jury.

This is because if an aware person who knows the nigs in the rig game was in the jury, the nigs would have lost the case and Steele would go free.

Jews -- tall, tall, tall, tales they tell. Famous fairytale storytellers of the Holocaust.

Old July 23rd, 2012 #2960
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Promotions

Quote:
You consider "Unterwhigger" to be a promotion. Hmmm...interesting.
Jewlover to Unterwhigger is a promotion.

Tags
edgar steele

Thread