Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old January 22nd, 2011 #1
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default Great Britain Not United Kingdom

Can you please change the name of this subforum to Great Britain or just Britain instead of the United Kingdom. Screw UK.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #2
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,344
Bev
Default

.....and where does that leave the folk in NI?
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #3
AussieWN
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,349
Default

My advice would be..shut this thread immediately.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #4
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
.....and where does that leave the folk in NI?
Ok, don't change it to Great Britain but just Britain. Considering that technically speaking Northern Ireland is apar of Britain. Britain refers to all of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #5
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,344
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
Ok, don't change it to Great Britain but just Britain. Considering that technically speaking Northern Ireland is apar of Britain. Britain refers to all of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
That would be incorrect though. Great Britain or Britain just refers to England, Scotland and Wales. "Great Britain" and the "United Kingdom" are two different places. Northern Ireland is not technically a part of Britain - it is part of the sovereign state - the union - of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or United Kingdom for short) if you want to be pedantic about it.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #6
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
That would be incorrect though. Great Britain or Britain just refers to England, Scotland and Wales. "Great Britain" and the "United Kingdom" are two different places. Northern Ireland is not technically a part of Britain - it is part of the sovereign state - the union - of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (or United Kingdom for short) if you want to be pedantic about it.
Well than please change it to Britain. Afterall, we are British
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #7
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,344
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
Well than please change it to Britain. Afterall, we are British
United Kingdom covers British. It covers English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland folk. If it were changed to Britain, it would exclude those in Northern Ireland. That's not fair to them. Would you like it if the English demanded it were changed to England? *After all, we are English so who cares about excluding the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish folk?

*tongue in cheek before anyone starts.

The only way if could be changed to Britain, in my opinion, would be if it were changed to Great Britain and Northern Ireland and that's too long.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #8
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
United Kingdom covers British. It covers English, Welsh, Scottish and Northern Ireland folk. If it were changed to Britain, it would exclude those in Northern Ireland. That's not fair to them. Would you like it if the English demanded it were changed to England? *After all, we are English so who cares about excluding the Welsh, Scots and Northern Irish folk?

*tongue in cheek before anyone starts.

The only way if could be changed to Britain, in my opinion, would be if it were changed to Great Britain and Northern Ireland and that's too long.
................................People refer to all of them as Britain
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #9
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,344
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
................................People refer to all of them as Britain
Maybe they do, but it's factually wrong and would upset those in NI.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #10
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Maybe they do, but it's factually wrong and would upset those in NI.
They should be treated like a break away colony just like Australia
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #11
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

On further thought, the only people in Northern Ireland who would get upset would be those idiots who think that they are Irish. Most people in NI regard themselves as British.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #12
AussieWN
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
On further thought, the only people in Northern Ireland who would get upset would be those idiots who think that they are Irish. Most people in NI regard themselves as British.
Do you know anything about the 6 counties VK? Only the Prods refer to themselves as British. Catholic call themselves Irish. The 6 counties are actually part of Ireland and as such the people are actually Irish. They are part of the UK but they are not British. Did you see the Commonwealth games, The Northern Irish marched under their own Flag.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #13
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,344
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
On further thought, the only people in Northern Ireland who would get upset would be those idiots who think that they are Irish. Most people in NI regard themselves as British.
....actually many of them consider themselves to be part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I suspect that when they say "I am British" they are referring to an ethnicity rather than a geographical location. If you change section names to refer to ethnicities rather than to geographical locations, that's a dodgy road to go down, since many newer nations would be f***ed.

Great Britain specifically excludes them. Great Britain refers to the island comprised of England, Scotland and Wales. You can't rewrite history, turn the clock back to 1800 and cut loose those in NI in the process just because I you don't like the term United Kingdom, any more than we can cut you loose and begin referring to Australia as New Holland. In my opinion.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #14
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWN View Post
Do you know anything about the 6 counties VK? Only the Prods refer to themselves as British. Catholic call themselves Irish. The 6 counties are actually part of Ireland and as such the people are actually Irish. They are part of the UK but they are not British. Did you see the Commonwealth games, The Northern Irish marched under their own Flag.
So did the English, Scottish, Welsh, Isle of Mann and the Channel Islands. But in other games, they compete as Great Britain.

Northern Ireland is British and Protestant. As a proud British Protestant, I refer to my country as Britain (Great Britain mostly). I never refer to my country as the United Kingdom. Saying "United Kingdom" feels as unnatural as speaking in Metric.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #15
AussieWN
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.K. View Post
So did the English, Scottish, Welsh, Isle of Mann and the Channel Islands. But in other games, they compete as Great Britain.

Northern Ireland is British and Protestant. As a proud British Protestant, I refer to my country as Britain (Great Britain mostly). I never refer to my country as the United Kingdom. Saying "United Kingdom" feels as unnatural as speaking in Metric.
Scotland England and Wales are part of the isle of Britian. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland, what dont you understand.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #16
Bev
drinking tea
 
Bev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: England
Posts: 38,344
Bev
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWN View Post
Scotland England and Wales are part of the isle of Britian. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland, what dont you understand.
Geographically, you are correct.
__________________
Above post is my opinion unless it's a quote.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #17
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
....actually many of them consider themselves to be part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I suspect that when they say "I am British" they are referring to an ethnicity rather than a geographical location. If you change section names to refer to ethnicities rather than to geographical locations, that's a dodgy road to go down, since many newer nations would be f***ed.

Great Britain specifically excludes them. Great Britain refers to the island comprised of England, Scotland and Wales. You can't rewrite history, turn the clock back to 1800 and cut loose those in NI in the process just because I you don't like the term United Kingdom, any more than we can cut you loose and begin referring to Australia as New Holland. In my opinion.
So what you are saying is that we should pander to the Irish?

The Irish must not be given into.

There is no such thing as the Northern Irish. They are either British or Irish.

Further, Tasmania and Australia are two different islands but yet people still refer to Tasmania as Australia and still call the Tasmanians Australians. So, Northern Ireland is not connected to Great Britain and Ireland and Great Britain are two different islands. But people still refer to NI and the rest of Britain as Britain.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #18
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWN View Post
Scotland England and Wales are part of the isle of Britian. Northern Ireland is part of Ireland, what dont you understand.
Tasmania and Australia are two different islands but are still referred to as Australia.
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #19
AussieWN
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,349
Default

VK,stop trying to be a smart arse little fuckwit ok. Your not British, your Australian and right now your acting like a troll trying to start a fight
 
Old January 22nd, 2011 #20
V.K.
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWN View Post
VK,stop trying to be a smart arse little fuckwit ok. Your not British, your Australian and right now your acting like a troll trying to start a fight
What would you know you toothless drug addicted KKK idiot?
 
Reply

Share


Thread
Display Modes


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 AM.
Page generated in 0.12329 seconds.