Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 8th, 2009 #1
varg

Default Skunk removal

I have a garage which is separated from the house. Yesterday i saw a skunk lumbering around in my yard.. I went for a closer look and it crawled under the garage through a hole.

Today I pulled into the driveway.. saw.. 1 ... 2.. .3.. 4.. skunks crawl under.. then I went closer and saw another 3 crawl under.. 7 skunks in total (that i know of)

How do i get rid of these adorable yet stinky creatures without getting sprayed?

I'm surprised my cat hasn't been sprayed yet since he goes outside every night... unless they're friends (he's been known to hang out with skunks in the past)

Old June 8th, 2009 #2
Dan_O

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pe...rid-of-skunks/

Forcing skunks out

Skunk removal isn't hard. The trick is to do most of the work while the skunk is out foraging so you don't risk getting sprayed. Sprinkle a light layer of flour, chalk, or other white powder around it's den and wait until nightfall. After dark, return and look for tracks leading away to indicate that the skunk has left in search of food and then get to work sealing up all of the entrances (barriers were covered in the previous section). If you do this right the skunk will not be able to get back in. If he does, wait until the next evening and try again.

Skunk traps

If you can't seem to coerce your skunky buddy to leave willingly, you may need to trap him. First, check with your local authorities to make sure you're within the law to do so and then invest in a box skunk trap that is small enough to keep the skunk from raising it's tail all the way up.

When you set the trap, secure a few old towels or blankets to the outside to make it safer to approach once it catches a skunk. Bait the trap with anything that has a strong odor; sardines, tuna, giblets, and canned cat food are all good choices. Check it often, you're just as likely to catch a stray cat or raccoon as you are a skunk so don't depend on your nose.

Once you've got your skunk, cover up the trap so it cannot see outside (don't smother it) and secure it in the back seat (or open trunk) for a nice long ride out of town. When you've located a suitable secluded area, place the trap on the ground, open it up and wait for the skunk to leave. Skunks will often be confused and scared so it might take it a while to work up the courage - be patient. Sometimes you can coax it out by sitting the trap so it's floor is angled towards the door.

If that doesn't work, consider leaving it for a few hours and returning later to retrieve the empty trap.

Old June 8th, 2009 #3
Anne

You could try getting a couple of women to shriek loudly--that might scare them away!

Old June 8th, 2009 #4
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Skunk repellent

http://www.havahart.com/ourbrands/critter-ridder

Old June 8th, 2009 #5
Karl Lueger

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
How do i get rid of these adorable yet stinky creatures without getting sprayed?

I'm surprised my cat hasn't been sprayed yet since he goes outside every night... unless they're friends (he's been known to hang out with skunks in the past)

some folks have that same problem with shit-skins,
but those things are not cute and smell much worse..

Rambo, John J.

Old June 8th, 2009 #6
varg

Most of those methods wont work because of my cat and i dont want him to get harmed.. especially those chemical repellents

He seems to be 'friends' with them though.. Since he's yet to be sprayed and i just saw him hanging out with one

Old June 10th, 2009 #7
Keith Armstrong
Sénior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
He seems to be 'friends' with them though.. Since he's yet to be sprayed and i just saw him hanging out with one
That is unusual skunk behavior. They have a good threat assessment and are usually aren't gunshy about spraying any that threaten them. I would check to see if this animal is sick. I would keep your cat away from it. It could have rabies.

Thread