VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 23rd, 2006 #1
Abzug Hoffman

Default Rare honest-sounding account of nig school

http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_1_how_i_joined.html

"...Being a white [looking] teacher in a mostly black school unquestionably hindered my ability to teach. Certain students hurled racial slurs with impunity; several of their parents intimated to my colleagues that they didn’t think a white teacher had any business teaching their children—and a number of my colleagues agreed. One parent who was also a teacher’s aide threatened to “kick my white ass” in front of my class and received no punishment from the principal, beyond being told to stay out of my classroom. The failure of the principal, parents, and teachers to react more decisively to racist disrespect emboldened students to behave worse. Such poisonous bigotry directed at a black teacher at a mostly white school would of course have created a federal case..."

Something rare - a believable report about teaching in an inner city school, written by a member of the Jewish elite - oh vey, but his people were so persecuted before, as he has to point out at the start - who joins some govt. teaching program and gets assigned to a fifth grade zoo in Washington DC.

The one thing he won't say is that the kids are pumpkin heads. But he does say they need to stop misbehaving and start paying attention if they want to learn.

Last edited by Abzug Hoffman; June 23rd, 2006 at 10:02 AM.

Thread