VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 21st, 2009 #1
OTPTT
Banned

Default Replacing Laptop fan\heatsink.

This promises to be fun. I have a 15 month old HP Pavillion DV9820US laptop wherein the fan is making a loud noise. At times louder than others but clearly they used cheap ass fans in this particular series of laptops as I'm not the only one that has this problem.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT AGAIN! EVER!

I stopped buying their printers when I realized they were crap and that I could buy a $30 Epson and a set of refillable ink cartridges and save big bucks. I have purchased and used two different HP business jet printers (years ago, $500 each) thinking I would save money on ink and not have to worry about them breaking down. I was wrong on both counts.

This laptop repair promises to be a pain in the ass since I have to take the laptop completely apart to get the new fan\heatsink card installed.

I have had good success with Toshiba laptops but am not married to one particular brand. No more HP sh*t for me. Just thought I'd share my experience with you all in the event you were considering an HP product.

If I'm not back online tonight you'll know I've thrown this HP laptop across the room breaking it into 6 million pieces.

Old September 21st, 2009 #2
McKinley
coast to coast WN

I have a HP too. The hard drive went out about a year ago and needed replaced. It was still under warranty then with 15 days still on it.

I got it back and about a month later the damned thing started doing the same thing with the fan as your laptop is doing. I took the back off to see how hard it would be to replace the fan.

Lo and behold when they replaced the hard drive, they replaced the HP hard drive with a Toshiba hard drive.

I still haven't gotten around to replacing the fan yet. Tony, would you know where to pick up a good fan at?

Kentckyanna True News

"What do you expect? All we got on this team are a bunch a Jews, spics, niggers, pansies -- and a booger-eatin' moron!"

Tanner Boyle - short stop for the Bad News Bears.

Old September 21st, 2009 #3
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

This service manual is for a different Pavillion,
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00530488.pdf . Search for your exact model on this website at http://h10032.www1.hp.com.

Do not replace the fan. Gently peel off the label and remove the C clip. Use a pin to pry it out. It may be either plastic or metal. Be carefull that it does not fly off and get lost. Work over a floor where it is easy to find if it does. Slide the rotating magnet out. Keep carefull track of the order of plastic or metal washers beneath it.

Clean the shaft and bearing with isoproplyl alchohol. Get a capfull of Mobil1 and NO OTHER OIL from an oil change place. It is synthetic and lasts forever. Coat the shaft with a few drops and apply one drop to the bearing. Do not over lubricate which will cause the fan to leak oil and attract dust. Reassemble and it will last forever.

I have done over a hundred of them in power supplies and never had one come back. Fans will sometimes fail in three months time because their cheap lubricant evaporates.

Contact me by private message for any additional necessary information.

Old September 21st, 2009 #4
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
This service manual is for a different Pavillion,
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00530488.pdf . Search for your exact model on this website at http://h10032.www1.hp.com.

Do not replace the fan. Gently peel off the label and remove the C clip. Use a pin to pry it out. It may be either plastic or metal. Be carefull that it does not fly off and get lost. Work over a floor where it is easy to find if it does. Slide the rotating magnet out. Keep carefull track of the order of plastic or metal washers beneath it.

Clean the shaft and bearing with isoproplyl alchohol. Get a capfull of Mobil1 and NO OTHER OIL from an oil change place. It is synthetic and lasts forever. Coat the shaft with a few drops and apply one drop to the bearing. Do not over lubricate which will cause the fan to leak oil and attract dust. Reassemble and it will last forever.

I have done over a hundred of them in power supplies and never had one come back. Fans will sometimes fail in three months time because their cheap lubricant evaporates.

Contact me by private message for any additional necessary information.
I ordered, and have in hand, the complete fan and heatsink card. I'm going to replace the whole thing. I've already tried cleaning but to no avail. Logging off now. Wish me good fortune.

Old September 21st, 2009 #5
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKinley View Post
Tony, would you know where to pick up a good fan at?
Yes, http://impactcomputers.com which is an HP reseller. I tried to order the fan assembly from HP but they couldn't take a pre-paid Visa debit card. Good thing too since http://impactcomputers.com had the identical HP part for about $25 less than HP.

Ordered it Friday and the part arrived today. Good service from IC so far.

Old September 21st, 2009 #6
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Do Not Replace the Fan

You will have the same problem with the brand new fan. Send it back for credit and drink up the proceeds. The repaired fan is 100 times better than a new one.

Old September 21st, 2009 #7
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
You will have the same problem with the brand new fan. Send it back for credit and drink up the proceeds. The repaired fan is 100 times better than a new one.
How far do I have to take the laptop down to get to the fan assembly?

Old September 21st, 2009 #8
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
What is the exact model?

Old September 21st, 2009 #9
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Tear Down

Quote:
Probably not very far, study the service manual or in a pinch the pdf link that I sent. To lube it is easier than to change it.

Old September 21st, 2009 #10
Dan_O

Try this site.

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_fan.html

If your interested, I will be selling my late 2007 Macbook in January for $600. It has 2.16 Ghz Intel core2duo, 2 gig of ram. It's a good deal if you want to try Apple but not sure if you want to pay the premium. The warranty will still be good until Sept 2010. And I always make sure the latest OS and bundled software is installed before I sell. It is a work horse, and I have never had a problem with it. This is the model I'll be selling.

Old September 21st, 2009 #11
OTPTT
Banned

So I power everything down, get my tools ready, open the new parts box from ImpactComputers.com and no thermal adhesive to be found. This is supposed to be included with the part. Looks like tomorrow until I'm able to do the repair.

Computer repair is something I do to earn money. Just haven't torn apart that many laptops. Thanks for all the responses.

Old September 22nd, 2009 #12
Dale VanderMeer
Your Pro-White Neighbor...

Apple has the best computer products. This would be a better bet, Tony, and convert your files from your HP to this. If you have a lot of graphics and documents that you would like to save, I would suggest getting an external hard drive up to 1 TB. Western Digital - My Book Essential 1TB External Hard Drive is one of the better ones around for picture and music files. Best buy has them at 110.. It's a good investment for me, keeps my computer hard drive from having a lot of stuff on it and provides a wonderful back up.
Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_O View Post
Try this site.

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_fan.html

If your interested, I will be selling my late 2007 Macbook in January for $600. It has 2.16 Ghz Intel core2duo, 2 gig of ram. It's a good deal if you want to try Apple but not sure if you want to pay the premium. The warranty will still be good until Sept 2010. And I always make sure the latest OS and bundled software is installed before I sell. It is a work horse, and I have never had a problem with it. This is the model I'll be selling.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #13
OTPTT
Banned

I can't believe it, but I took the laptop apart down to every single component, cleaned the cpu and video cpu of the old thermal compound, applied the new silver thermal compound, put in the new fan\heatsink, and put it back together. However, I have three screws leftover that I think belong somewhere in the belly of the beast.

Everything seems to be working as it should be and the fan no longer makes that wretched noise. Thankfully!

I'm going to take the old fan, disassemble and refurbish it as D.P. suggested. Here's a picture about midway through the procedure.

Last edited by OTPTT; September 24th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #14
varg

Yea the fan / heatsink get covered in dust. A good dose of compressed air helps. Thats what was probably causing the problem. Did you get arctic silver ?

dont worry about screws.. lol i've lost like 15 in my laptop. as long as it closes tight.

The most annoying part is taking the laptop apart (especially if you are using a hand screwdriver).. an electric drill is a must

stripping the screws also sucks

Old September 23rd, 2009 #15
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
Yea the fan / heatsink get covered in dust. A good dose of compressed air helps. Thats what was probably causing the problem. Did you get arctic silver ?
No, it wasn't just dust. I have a Craftsman professional air compressor and put 140psi into the fan vent area a couple of weeks ago hoping to blow out any dust and fix the problem. The problem is worn out bearings.

Didn't strip any screws and everything is tight and secure. I wouldn't have used a drill of any sort taking these small screws in and out. That would guarantee their being stripped.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #16
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Default Bearing Ignorance

You don't know what you are talking about. Work on your reading comprehension. I have lubed over a hundred fans. Bearings do not wear out.

Old September 23rd, 2009 #17
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Bearings do not wear out.
I wish I had known that earlier. I wouldn't have had to have my drive shaft rebuilt when the bearings wore out and almost came apart. I wouldn't have had to replace the inner and outer bearings on the rear axle either. Bearings wear out on planet earth.

Old September 24th, 2009 #18
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about. Work on your reading comprehension. I have lubed over a hundred fans. Bearings do not wear out.
Ok, dumbass. Where would you put the lub on this fan? This is the fan I replaced in my laptop.

Do you see any bearings? No, you don't. It's magnetic driven and apparently the spindle became warped which is what was causing the noise. No fix other than replacement.

Why don't you take your lube and look up George Witzgall?

Last edited by OTPTT; September 24th, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

Old September 24th, 2009 #19
Dan_O

Quote:
Ok, dumbass. Where would you put the lub on this fan? This is the fan I replaced in my laptop.

Do you see any bearings? No, you don't. It's magnetic driven and apparently the spindle became warped which is what was causing the noise. No fix other than replacement.

Why don't you take your lube and look up George Witzgall?
lol^

Replacing it was probably the best thing to do anyways.

Old September 24th, 2009 #20
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
The problem is worn out bearings.
Since the fan doesn't have bearings I'll assume the the plastic casing became to hot and became warped which caused the noise I heard. Before replacing the fan I could tap on the bottom of the laptop near the fan and get the noise to stop for a period of time. It's fixed now although I'm thinking of tearing it back down and putting those three screws back in where they belong.

Thread