VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 26th, 2009 #41
George Witzgall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassanio View Post
Below are two photos I took today right after a chest workout. My goal is to look like this before a workout, not after, in about six weeks. I also want to get more defined and lose that disgusting fat slathered all over my lower abs.

The workout consisted of:

5 sets of wide grip bench press
3 sets of closed grip bench press (also hits the tris)
3 sets of incline DB flys
1 set of fist push-ups until failure

What would you recommend for hamstrings, Mark? I'm an ectomorph and my hamstrings are practically non-existent. I work out at home so I don't have access to any fancy machines. Is the deadlift my only real choice in that case? I've been doing lunges but they seem to hit the glutes more than the hams.

I'll be posting more photos in the future if I manage to make any progress. This last week I've been gorging myself on homemade pizza, so I'm a little bloated because of all the fat, carbs and sodium. No more of that, though. Today was the last time. I'm getting back to my chicken breast beginning tomorrow.
imho I wouldn't worry too much about losing a few pounds of fat. just concentrate on maintaining/building muscle mass. this is actually the best way to keep your weight down (much better than cardio in my experience; if I do twenty all-out leg presses that burns calories throughout the next few days). muscles burn calories 24/7, it's almost like jogging 24/7. cardio is good for your blood pressure i guess.

Old September 26th, 2009 #42
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
imho I wouldn't worry too much about losing a few pounds of fat. just concentrate on maintaining/building muscle mass. this is actually the best way to keep your weight down (much better than cardio in my experience; if I do twenty all-out leg presses that burns calories throughout the next few days). muscles burn calories 24/7, it's almost like jogging 24/7. cardio is good for your blood pressure i guess.
I agree, cardio is a waste of time.

Old September 26th, 2009 #43
Bassanio
Hath not a Goy eyes?

Quote:
Agreed. Intensive weight training and a solid diet render cardio useless and even detrimental.

Old September 26th, 2009 #44
Georgie

Cardio isn't bad, you just need to forget hamster "cardio". Think of things in terms of conditioning and work capacity. What I mean is, don't go to a gym and act like a hamster on some treadmill for 30 mins. Instead go find a hill nearby you and do some hill sprints. Get yourself or make a sandbag and do various drills. Get a dumbbell and do high rep snatches and swings. You'll be conditioning your whole body to work and push through fatigue.

You guys need to stop worrying about "looking good" and think about how you perform.

Old September 26th, 2009 #45
Julian Lüchow

I do not agree that cardio is worthless; since increasing my cardio regimen I have dropped >30 lbs since the beginning of this year. Neither is it a waste of time, where I live it is possible for me to drive a few minutes to a park reserve and have a leisurely hike in an idyllic landscape. Hamster cardio does suck, but there's no reason to do that when there are other options available.

Imho, weight training and cardio together is the optimal situation. I'm sure there is considerable variation in effects from person to person anyway.

Old September 27th, 2009 #46
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Kowalczyk View Post
I do not agree that cardio is worthless; since increasing my cardio regimen I have dropped >30 lbs since the beginning of this year. Neither is it a waste of time, where I live it is possible for me to drive a few minutes to a park reserve and have a leisurely hike in an idyllic landscape. Hamster cardio does suck, but there's no reason to do that when there are other options available.

Imho, weight training and cardio together is the optimal situation. I'm sure there is considerable variation in effects from person to person anyway.

Yup, without cardio you become a meat head who cant run a mile. For fat burning cardio helps but is nothing compared to resistance training.

BUT....... Running even a mile every other day will give you a huge boost in your over all conditioning and energy. Like Georgie said, your performance.

Old September 27th, 2009 #47
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Yesterday's workout:

Standard Flat bench presses, 4 sets light weight (155 lbs) for reps to failure.

Incline bench presses 4 sets (on the smith machine) 175 lbs.... Reps to failure.

I then used a new machine I have never used before made by a company called "Keiser". It was a seated bench press machine that uses a quickly adjustable air piston.

Check it out here: http://www.keiser.com/products/air350/chestpress.html

The beauty of the machine is you can press 180 lbs for the positive part of the rep and with the quick press of a button jack up the weight to 240 for the negative part of the rep....A huge advantage for strength building that just isn't possible to do alone with any other machines or free weights. 2 HARSH sets on that.

Then I did 3 sets on the keiser tricept press machine.... same principle.

4 sets of tri push downs drop sets each time (fucking pump is sick on tri drop sets)

3 sets of side arm tri presses with a 30 lb dumbell.

For good measure I threw in one set on the peck deck 170 lbs.

I must have done 8 sets of lateral raises with 10 lb dumbells for my delts in between all my other exercises.

Then 20 mins in the dry sauna

This is not at the same gym I was talking about earlier in the week. I joined another gym by my home too....A testament to how fucking serious I am about changing things.

and yes I do feel better, but I'm still a fat fuck.

No cardio, I am saving that for today, I was pressed for time last night.

Last edited by Mark Faust; September 27th, 2009 at 07:49 AM. Reason: forgot a few things

Old September 27th, 2009 #48
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
Yup, without cardio you become a meat head who cant run a mile. For fat burning cardio helps but is nothing compared to resistance training.

BUT....... Running even a mile every other day will give you a huge boost in your over all conditioning and energy. Like Georgie said, your performance.
You can get the cardio benefit while weight lifting if you take short breaks between sets, 30 seconds or so, to keep the heart rate up. This can be hard to do at a gym if it's busy though.

When I first started working out I was told I should do 15 - 20 min of cardio before my workout as a warm up. But all it did was make me tired so my workout suffered. So after a while I decided to do cardio on my rest days instead. Worked out better, so I just dropped it entirely.

When I say it's a waste of time, yeah compared to weightlifting it is. Ever notice that the cardio machines have a bunch of fat people reading magazines and the aerobics room has a bunch of fat women looking embarrassed and the weight room everyone is in shape, there is a reason for that. Cardio is a waste of time.

Old September 27th, 2009 #49
Georgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
You can get the cardio benefit while weight lifting if you take short breaks between sets, 30 seconds or so, to keep the heart rate up. This can be hard to do at a gym if it's busy though.

When I first started working out I was told I should do 15 - 20 min of cardio before my workout as a warm up. But all it did was make me tired so my workout suffered. So after a while I decided to do cardio on my rest days instead. Worked out better, so I just dropped it entirely.

When I say it's a waste of time, yeah compared to weightlifting it is. Ever notice that the cardio machines have a bunch of fat people reading magazines and the aerobics room has a bunch of fat women looking embarrassed and the weight room everyone is in shape, there is a reason for that. Cardio is a waste of time.
Your personal trainer must have gotten his certification in a cereal box. Always save cardio after your weightlifting session or even on another day. 15-20 mins will in fact tire you out. I would have just warmed up for weightlifting by doing the actual movement but with a light weight. Then after the session do your 30 mins or whatever.

I still stress that people get away from machines. Can you perhaps do jump roping anywhere in the gym? You will be humbled.

A lot of factors for the fat people on machines. What is their diet like. Do they ever mix things up and challenge themselves or just sit around for a light 30 mins. I recall seeing the same fat fucks for almost a year at the first gym I went to who were always fat fucks even though by the time I left I was down almost 50lbs (sadly I'm back up almost that much again - just this time with more muscle).

Anyway, Mark, have you considered dropping the going to failure stuff and doing some low rep high weight training? i.e. 3x3. Warm up a bit and then 3 heavy sets of 3 reps.

That going to failure almost sounds like what that guy Mentzer (I think was the name) used to talk about but I'm pretty sure it was very infrequent with many days of rest. High Intensity Training?

Either way maybe consider 1 day of low rep and high poundages to keep your strength up and the others high rep days for your strength endurance. Then again you're the personal trainer here so who am I to talk.

Old September 27th, 2009 #50
Georgie

For those of you who bench, make sure you make plenty of time for doing military presses to balance out the pushing you do. Benching is notorious for destroying flexibility/rotator cuffs/etc when not balanced out. I also hope you guys find some time in your back workouts to add in some extra work for rear delts which tend to get underveloped. If you're in a gym, face pulls are a great addition to the end of your back workouts.

Old September 27th, 2009 #51
Julian Lüchow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
I also hope you guys find some time in your back workouts to add in some extra work for rear delts which tend to get underdeveloped.
Upright rows work well for that and are also good for traps and biceps. I usually take a bar and do 5x5 at a heavy weight.

Old September 27th, 2009 #52
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie View Post
For those of you who bench, make sure you make plenty of time for doing military presses to balance out the pushing you do. Benching is notorious for destroying flexibility/rotator cuffs/etc when not balanced out.
I guess I'll chime in since I know more about physical fitness than anyone on the planet.

Strength and muscles are good. In the old days( I asume it's the same today) you would work your muscles to fail....and then continue.

Lets use the bench press as an example. (Free weights btw, weight machines are for fags.) You need a workout partner to do this. You're going like mad benching say 150, doing as many reps as you can until you can't go any further. Then, at the point of fail, your workout partner quickly takes about 30 to 50 pounds off the weight bar and you again go like mad pressing until fail. You can do this with all muscle groups, not just chest.

This kind of weight training really pumps you up, as ahhnold would say. You get a lot of muscle mass and strength from this type of workout. You can play football, box, wrestle, mma, pretty much anything requiring strength...and you will overpower your opponent if he isn't working out the same way.

But there is a problem. Weight lifting this way is so arduous and so severe that it does joint, ligament and tendon damage that won't hit you until later in life. You don't feel it when you're young and strong but get past 40 and I guarantee you won't work out this way. You won't want too.

So all you young guys who think you're indestructible....you're not. I'm not saying don't lift and don't get strong, do what you think is best for your situation. Alls I'm saying is be careful cuz you gotta live with those joints for the rest of your life.

Old September 28th, 2009 #53
April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Inniss View Post

Going to start taking riding lessons again though, which is already $200-$400 a month, depending on how far I want to travel for them.
As a former trainer and exercise rider I can assure you that most ranches will train you on the job. You wont start off riding the races but you should be able to get an exercise job on a TB ranch. If you work out they will move you to the track and then eventually let you race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Inniss View Post
I want to look beautiful, be strong enough for the racehorses,
Be prepared to deal with a great deal of sexual harassment ( not the nice kind, the rough kind) and even assault by the male riders, trainers and exercise riders down to the lowly wetback stall cleaners. Been there, done that. Men in the horse industry tend to be fairly anti female anyway and since most of these ranches and tracks employ beaners who have an attitude, dont expect any support or sympathy if one of them tries to bend you over a bale of hay or corner you in a stall.

DO NOT be friendly to any of the wetback grooms, riders or stall cleaners.
Even being nice once or saying hi is an invitation for rape by these creepy grease balls. They think that any woman who does not tell them to " fuck off" wants to have sex with them.

Be prepared for other riders to do things to get you hurt,I am still dealing with injuries I received when a wetback allowed a stud to mount the mare I was galloping. Also the level of animal abuse in the racing industry was more than I could stand to witness.

http://kalispellple.blogspot.com/

Old September 29th, 2009 #54
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
I guess I'll chime in since I know more about physical fitness than anyone on the planet.

Strength and muscles are good. In the old days( I asume it's the same today) you would work your muscles to fail....and then continue.

Lets use the bench press as an example. (Free weights btw, weight machines are for fags.) You need a workout partner to do this. You're going like mad benching say 150, doing as many reps as you can until you can't go any further. Then, at the point of fail, your workout partner quickly takes about 30 to 50 pounds off the weight bar and you again go like mad pressing until fail. You can do this with all muscle groups, not just chest.

This kind of weight training really pumps you up, as ahhnold would say. You get a lot of muscle mass and strength from this type of workout. You can play football, box, wrestle, mma, pretty much anything requiring strength...and you will overpower your opponent if he isn't working out the same way.

But there is a problem. Weight lifting this way is so arduous and so severe that it does joint, ligament and tendon damage that won't hit you until later in life. You don't feel it when you're young and strong but get past 40 and I guarantee you won't work out this way. You won't want too.

So all you young guys who think you're indestructible....you're not. I'm not saying don't lift and don't get strong, do what you think is best for your situation. Alls I'm saying is be careful cuz you gotta live with those joints for the rest of your life.
They are called drop sets, They do indeed flush the muscle with TONS of blood. I think they work best for certain muscles and not so good for others. Its hard to do lets say pull ups that way for example, you would be hard pressed to find a better lat workout than wide grip, old fashioned pullups.

But yes I always do a few sets of drop sets for bi's and tri's, and usually quads too.

Old September 29th, 2009 #55
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post

I think its due more to these fat fucks going home and eating bon bons and drinking coca cola. Not to mention, have you ever seen how those people do cardio? Certainly a waste of time. walking on a treadmill is no better than walking around in your house.

Cardio thru fast twitch muscle stimulation like you are talking about is great for strength and muscle endurance, much like wind sprints or mountain climbers are. BUT it has almost NO slow twitch muscle stimulation at all. These muscles when trained properly will increase your body's ability to use oxygen more efficiently and give you LONG TERM endurance as oposed to fast twitch muscle endurance. Any one who has trained for both knows this for sure. I am assuming you are young and have a great metabolism as this is the common thing I hear from those guys, "I get all my cardio thru weights". I used to say the same exact thing in my youth, and why not? I was shredded from it.

Im not saying you are wrong, I certainly do weight bearing cardio via drop sets, 20 second rest periods etc....But if that's all you do I can show you 100 house wives at both of my gyms who could run circles around you for miles. You need both for over all cardio. Otherwise like i said before, you will end up being a muscle guy with explosive power who cannot run a mile without being winded.

Old September 29th, 2009 #56
Bassanio
Hath not a Goy eyes?

What do you guys think about HIIT cardio? I tried it once and it was brutal.

Old September 29th, 2009 #57
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassanio View Post
What do you guys think about HIIT cardio? I tried it once and it was brutal.
I think it kicks my ass and burns fat like a motherfucker. It also has the benefit of bringing your red blood cell count WAY up.

Once I get my muscle weight up I will be doing plenty of variable intensity cardio.

Good Shit

Old October 1st, 2009 #58
MASHER
OnThePathToTrustMe

Sadly, that diet plan is definitely in play now, BUT I have a serious condition I've been diagnosed with that will keep me from being like the ole big guy Masher I once was. I'm actually terrified every day because of this friggin thing.

Let's put it this way...

I'm the youngest guy in this doctor's office by 30 years every time I'm there. It really f'n sucks bad. I've had a lot of trouble dealing with this problem and have been scared to tell people what it is and the severity of it because of many different valid reasons. Those of you on here who do know me, PM me, call me or hit me up on Skype and I'll let you know what's goin' on.

MASHER

PS
Faust, give baby bro a call!

Old October 6th, 2009 #59
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

Im pretty sure tomorrow is 2 weeks from when I started this thread. I will post pics and stats tomorrow.

The breakdown......

As of today I am 1 pound heavier than when I started. I have not had my body fat tested as of yet but it is obvious that it has gone down, not as much as I had hoped, but I feel much better. 196 pounds today. and I am feeling pretty jacked already. My increase in muscle size has been commented on by just about everyone and my joints feel MUCH better.

I am going to say that I have gained about 3-4 pounds of lean mass. That is not including the water that all weight lifting causes the muscle cells to retain.

I have been a psycho about my training and today was testament to that.

Today's workout.......

Incline bench presses, 155 lbs, reps to failure. 2 sets.

Incline bench presses on the smith machine 205 lbs, reps to failure. 2 sets.

Peck Deck machine, 120lbs, reps to failure. 6 sets.

Hammer strength dip machine (this machine is a fucking killer) 185 lbs, reps to failure, 4 sets.

Hammer strength forearm grip machine, 125 lbs, reps to failure. 3 sets.

Tricept push downs (straight bar) 130 lbs, reps to failure. 2 sets.

Tricept push downs (single arm) reverse grip, 40 lbs, failure, 3 sets on each arm.

Tricept cross body single arm dumbell raises, 25 lb dumbells, (getting tired at this point) 3 sets on each arm.

Then I left that gym and went to the other one......

Abs.....

Used a rather nasty crunch machine called a nautilus one for 3 sets until my abs burned so bad that I couldn't stand up for a min. See this machine here: http://www.nautilus.com/nautilus_bra...nal+Crunch.jsp

4 sets of twisting sit ups, feet locked under dumbbells.

4 sets on the horizontal rotary torso machine (you have never seen this machine, my gym is the only one that has it that I know of) This machine will wreck you.

3 sets of side bends on each oblique with 80, 100, then 120 lbs.

Then I ran 1 and 1/2 miles, did the row machine for 5 mins and, finished with another 5 mins on the heavy bag.

I'M BEAT THE HELL UP RIGHT NOW.........Check back tomorrow for pics and results of the past 2 weeks.

Last edited by Mark Faust; October 6th, 2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old October 6th, 2009 #60
Steve B
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Faust View Post
Im pretty sure tomorrow is 2 weeks from when I started this thread. I will post pics and stats tomorrow.

I'M BEAT THE HELL UP RIGHT NOW.........Check back tomorrow for pics and results of the past 2 weeks.
Pleasez, no pics, man. And I'm not really interested in your stats either.

But all is not negative. Some of the training exercises you are doing are mildly interesting. But try and keep it less of a Mark Fest, ok? Barring that you might consider asking admin to change your name to Mark Fest....instead of Mark Faust.

Thread