Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 27th, 2020 #1
steven clark

Default The Nest

Mostly writing this because I went to the movies last night...my first movie in seven months. I went to Plaza Frontenac, a swanky mall in St. Louis County, once lively, but now still pretty dead.
The theater is kind of an old fogey theater...tons of older people, and it shows a lot of foreign films and art house movies...we have the REAL art house cinema, the Tivoli, near the city, but it's mostly fag/'alternative' movies a little too raw for the suburban/geriatric set. In its five theaters, the seating is 56 per theater. They're usually full, but tonight there was me and an older couple.

Also, no popcorn, nothing. Instead of six people doing concessions, tickets, food, etc., you have two.
Like Andrew Anglin said, movie going ain't coming back.
At least I didn't have to wear the damn mask inside, nor did the others.
I half expected to see an attendant prowl the aisles to check on your mask, but they didn't give a shit. That was nice.

So, the movie? The Nest stars Jude Law, with what's-her-name Coons as his wife. It's the 80's, and he is a carefree guy, the family is semi-happy, but he wants to leave New York and go back to England to make a fortune in the new economic markets that Reagan and Thatcher are opening. He puts his family in a huge, gloomy, monstrously large mansion, and bit by bit he's shown as a blowhard, a man who promises much but delivers little. His wife is kind of on to him (she hides their money from him in a cranny in this mansion), and they begin to fall into depression, denial, their children are confused but not really surprised, and it seems like a ghost story, but there's no ghost...except this need for Law to succeed back in an England where he flunked out. He kind of needs to drag his family into his quest for disappointment.

This sounds depressing, but I enjoyed the acting and script. The family had problems, but Law was basically a decent guy, his wife troubled, but not really into the feminist thing, and at the end, after a cathartic night for all four, they seem ready to start over. Law talks about a smaller place in London, better so he can be near all the wheeling and dealing, while Coons just says 'Oh, stop it.'
It was an honest story about honest and flawed people, and I liked it. It reminded me of the great film Manchester by the Sea a few years ago. It wasn't anti-male, and she wasn't a raging superwoman. It was about flawed people who try to live dreams that don't work out.
it was also pretty much all white, although law's friend is Indian.

It was nice to see a movie again. I caught the previews. Ammonite, a Victorian period piece, looks handsome, although it has lesbian love, almost mandatory in period films these days. A new Bill Murray movie? His daughter is married to a black and they have two niglets. There was a film about a black woman writing plays, but I left until it was over. Not too crazy about hearing the nigger babble and her Jewish (smiling...like Fauci) supporter, and the usual crap.

So, there we are, back to the movies.

Old October 7th, 2020 #2
Stewart Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven clark View Post
Mostly writing this because I went to the movies last night...my first movie in seven months. I went to Plaza Frontenac, a swanky mall in St. Louis County, once lively, but now still pretty dead.
I did a google image search, and it's a very beautiful place:

Regarding the movie that you talked about, I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on it. Sorry.

Old October 8th, 2020 #3
Gladiatrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Meadows View Post

Regarding the movie that you talked about, I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on it. Sorry.
Here's the trailer.

Old October 8th, 2020 #4
James Fette

The critics seem to like it. Must have a theme such as "the echo of the last dying gasp from white privilege."

Thread