VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 15th, 2019 #1
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default How to Jump-start a Lunar Module

I never knew this before I saw this today. A very interesting video.

All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old June 16th, 2019 #2
Ray Allan

Default The Beagle has landed!

Thanks Nikola, I learned something new there myself.

I was thinking of the Apollo 13 hack where the astronauts reversed the power cable to draw power from the Lunar Module batteries to recharge the Command Module batteries for re-entry when Scott Manley mentioned that in the video. Those vehicles had backup upon backup and contingency plans for just about everything--except for most of what happened on Apollo 13 and a lot of it had to be done on the fly--a testament to those smart White guys in Houston and aboard the spacecraft.

Speaking of the Lunar Module, I hope Apollo 10's Snoopy is recovered someday and put in a museum. It's the only flown and intact LM ascent stage existing, since the others either crashed into the Moon after the mission (Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17) or burned up in Earth's atmosphere (Apollo 5, 9 and 13). The LM descent stages from the missions that landed are of course still intact on the Moon.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old June 17th, 2019 #3
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
I hope Apollo 10's Snoopy is recovered someday and put in a museum. It's the only flown and intact LM ascent stage existing, since the others either crashed into the Moon after the mission (Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17) or burned up in Earth's atmosphere (Apollo 5, 9 and 13). The LM descent stages from the missions that landed are of course still intact on the Moon.

Apollo 10's Lunar Module Snoopy Is Lost In Space - Could We Bring it Home?
That seems like a huge expense that could be better spent on something more productive. I certainly wouldn't want the government doing that, at least not until space salvage becomes incredibly cheap, although if a private individual wanted to do that so that he could put it in a museum, that would be all right.
All these ideas…are chained to the existence of men, to who[m]…they owe their existence. Precisely in this case the preservation of these definite races and men is the precondition for the existence of these ideas. --Adolf Hitler

Old June 18th, 2019 #4
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
That seems like a huge expense that could be better spent on something more productive. I certainly wouldn't want the government doing that, at least not until space salvage becomes incredibly cheap, although if a private individual wanted to do that so that he could put it in a museum, that would be all right.
Whenever it becomes feasible to find and recover Snoopy and other Apollo artifacts, including the S-IVB booster stages now in solar orbit (Apollo 8, 9, 10, 11, 12), perhaps they can be placed in a museum on the Moon or in Earth-lunar space. I probably won't live to see that, but interesting nonetheless. Jeff Bezos recovered Apollo 11's Saturn V first stage engines from the bottom of the Atlantic a few years ago, so I see no reason in the future where objects in space can't be recovered. Not just Apollo items, but hundreds of other defunct satellites, space probes, rocket boosters and even Elon Musk's Tesla roadster are still out there. Maybe some of that stuff should be left alone--if intelligent life on Earth doesn't survive, our space junk may be the only evidence to any future alien visitors to our Solar System we even existed. Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 are another example.

Old July 17th, 2019 #5
Ray Allan

Default LM nuts-and-bolts

Small nitpick: The Lunar Module flew ten times, not nine. The first vehicle, LM-1, flew on Apollo 5 in January 1968 on an unmanned test flight. All other LM flights were manned. Three spacecraft, LM-2, LM-9, and LM-13 were unused and are now in museums.

https://www.space.com/36367-apollo-5...ht-photos.html

Thread