Vanguard News Network
Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old September 3rd, 2012 #21
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Rabbi pauly, your anecdote is as credible as are smokey's. I imagine small children getting wide-eyed at tell of your harrowing near-death experience from breathing -20F air. Guffaw. What are you, an obese asthmatic? I bet money you are and you've never lived in the arctic circle.

Here's a simple rule for you: if you don't want to look like an idiot, don't speak of things you don't know

Old September 3rd, 2012 #22
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
Once the wind chill makes the temperature feel like –28 or colder, exposed skin can freeze in under 30 minutes. When it drops to –40, frostbite can occur in less than 10 minutes. Take it to –55, and you're in danger within two minutes. Anything colder than that and Environment Canada warns you shouldn't go outside at all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/fo...rost-bite.html
Just because this needs re-posting.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #23
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

Lol frostbite.

Clearly my advice was useless, but only because none of you equatorial kwans could ever apply it.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #24
Angel Ramsey
Banned

YOU are a fucking liar. I proved it.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #25
Roy Wagahuski
professional critter

http://www.radford.edu/content/radfo...in-alaska.html

Exposed flesh, within two minutes, huh? Yeah, you proved something, but not what you wanted.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #26
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Liar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Wagahuski View Post
http://www.radford.edu/content/radfo...in-alaska.html

Exposed flesh, within two minutes, huh? Yeah, you proved something, but not what you wanted.
You are a liar. Your own post proves me right. You have never been in -65 F , let alone jogged two miles in it with minimum clothing. Coughing comes from frozen air sacks in the lungs. It feels like a knife stuck in your chest. I don't think that you can walk fast in those temperatures, let alone run.

Quote:

http://www.radford.edu/content/radfo...-alaska.htmlRU
freshman researcher Alec Frazier confirmed that. "If you didn't have anything covering your mouth, you really couldn't breathe through your mouth because you just ended up coughing," he said. "And when I breathed through my nose, I could feel my sinuses freeze up. It's a really weird feeling."

Last edited by Donald E. Pauly; September 3rd, 2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

Old September 3rd, 2012 #27
Breanna
Eternal Glory

Hmm, should we believe someone who lives in the desert, or someone who actually lives in the arctic?

Old September 3rd, 2012 #28
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald E. Pauly View Post
You are a liar. Your own post proves me right. You have never been in -65 F , let alone jogged two miles in it with minimum clothing. Coughing comes from frozen air sacks in the lungs. It feels like a knife stuck in your chest. I don't think that you can walk fast in those temperatures, let alone run.
Pauly, we know the truth. Fuck him. And any fucktards that defend trolls.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #29
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breanna View Post
Hmm, should we believe someone who lives in the desert, or someone who actually lives in the arctic?
You should believe someone with a well deserved reputation for telling the truth. I also was raised on an Iowa farm with a day or two of -20 F weather each year. I just never ran in such weather. Walking does not freeze your lungs at such temperatures but running does. Wagahuski has refused to tell us where he was when he ran for miles at -65 F with minumum clothes. I wish that he had done it and he wouldn't be a pest here.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #30
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Smile Rolling in the Snow

Quote:
Pauly, we know the truth. Fuck him. And any fucktards that defend trolls.
Any fool can roll in the snow for a few minutes at -40 F. Let's see them do it for a half hour. Wagahuski is a fake name anyway.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #31
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Hard Breathing in the Cold

Here is another first hand report. This is an exact description of my symptoms except for the instant burning pain within 30 seconds after a short hard run. It took me two weeks and penicillin to recover the lost 50% lung function. Lung function was lost instantly after the run and my guess was that I picked up pneumonia later.

Riding a bike doesn't make you breath nearly as hard as a hundred yard dash. It is the speed and depth of breathing that freezes your lungs. Arctic workers all wear baraclavas which prewarm the air before it enters the nose. You can't breath thru your nose when you run fast. The nose gets cold and prewarms your air to your air sacs. They freeze instantly when hit by -20 F air. Now that I think about it, the top of the lungs is what hurt not the bottom. There is where the coldest air is.

Quote:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/frozen_l...a_t112528.html

pelkeysup81 over year ago

I was on my mt bike the other day going into 30 below zero winds since that day every time I cough it feels like my breath is being held inside and not all coming out at once could I have caughgt pnemonia from tthis ? ,if not, What would I be feeling

Old September 3rd, 2012 #32
Mark Faust
Broadcaster

I went to UAA Anchorage for kwalege and we (friends and I) would take extended weekend trips into the wilderness to illegally hunt for food.... It was below freezing almost every time...THE WHOLE time, and when the cold became too much we would run or do pushups to stave it off. Cant say I was ever in -65 but we were frequently in temps of -10 to -20 for up to 10 hours at a time....... None of us ever got frostbite.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #33
George Witzgall

If you train it, the human body is amazingly adaptable. With the right conditioning, I have no doubt a human body could jog for a short time in -65F windchill conditions. But it takes a certain type of person, and knowledge and experience.

Last edited by George Witzgall; September 3rd, 2012 at 04:19 PM.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #34
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Witzgall View Post
If you train it, the human body is amazingly adaptable. With the right conditioning, I have no doubt a human body could jog for a short time in -65F windchill conditions. But it takes a certain type of person, and knowledge and experience.
But...but...you said 2 hours.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #35
George Witzgall

Quote:
I'm not Mr. Wagahuski.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #36
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
I'm not Mr Wagahuski.
Ahh fuck it, wrong guy. Similar names. Fucking starts with a "W".

Old September 3rd, 2012 #37
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Frostbitten Lungs

Quote:
Liar Wagahuski supposedly didn't freeze his lungs at -65 F but this guy was coughing up blood at -40 F. That liar Wag has never been in such temperatures. I have been in -20 F temperatures many times myself but only ran the hundred yard dash once at such temperatures. It is breathing thru the mouth in a gasping matter that freezes the lungs. This guy going to the South Pole was doing that.

Quote:
http://archive.mensjournal.com/alone-across-the-ice

Todd Carmichael set out to become the fastest person to reach the South Pole on foot. He didn’t count on having to fight for his own life.Just past 4 a.m. on December 19, 2008, American Todd Carmichael sits in a tent below Antarctica’s 89th parallel. Outside it’s 40 below, windy, and otherworldly bright, as the solstice sun circles tirelessly overhead, inching toward the South Pole. That’s where Carmichael is headed too, in the last stage of his attempt to break British explorer Hannah McKeand’s record for an un*assisted trek to the pole. She traveled the 690 miles from Hercules Inlet to the pole in 39 days, nine hours, and 33 minutes. Right now, on day 37, despite overcoming a series of accidents that would have broken weaker men,

Carmichael is coming up short.He’s been coughing up blood for 10 days, even while he sleeps. This morning the 45-year-old notices fleshy black bits in his spit — pieces of frostbitten lung. When he lies down his breathing is reduced to a wheeze. He turns on his video camera, and for the first time his eyes have the hollow, swimming look of desperation. His phones are dead; he thinks he was able to beam out a signal to let his wife know he’s alive, but he’s not sure it worked. Right now he has heavier concerns. After five hours of repeatedly breaking down and reassembling his gas stoves, he still can’t get either one to light. Antarctica may hold two-thirds of the world’s freshwater, but its icy interior is a desert. The only way to get water is to melt that ice.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #38
Donald E. Pauly
Banned

Angry Windchill Not a Factor

Quote:
Windchill has NOTHING to do with freezing your lungs. It is depth and speed of respiration and air temperature alone. A good whiff of cold nitrogen from a container of liquid nitrogen can be fatal.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #39
George Witzgall

Quote:
Liar Wagahuski supposedly didn't freeze his lungs at -65 F but this guy was coughing up blood at -40 F. That liar Wag has never been in such temperatures. I have been in -20 F temperatures many times myself but only ran the hundred yard dash once at such temperatures. It is breathing thru the mouth in a gasping matter that freezes the lungs. This guy going to the South Pole was doing that.
You just proved Roy's point dumbass. This guy was jogging for days on end under the conditions Roy was talking about. Yeah, he was coughing up blood and frostbitten lung, but that's what real men do.

The cynicism of you equatorial kwans, it's just breathtaking.

Last edited by George Witzgall; September 3rd, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Old September 3rd, 2012 #40
George Witzgall

Quote:
Windchill has NOTHING to do with freezing your lungs. It is depth and speed of respiration and air temperature alone. A good whiff of cold nitrogen from a container of liquid nitrogen can be fatal.
Why are you worried about it anyway? The most some asthmatic like you would experience is a measly -20F anyway; even that nearly killed you.

Thread