VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 26th, 2006 #1
Harry Flash
Sexist Bastard

Default Greeks Can Worship Ancient Greek Deities

Greek court allowed association of worshippers of ancient Greek deities to be set up, Radio Svoboda informs.

At the moment Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Athens, Hermes, etc. are being worshipped by 100,000 Greeks.

Until now Ministry of Culture banned them from conducting public worship at archeological sites and their gatherings were often secretive.

Greek Orthodox Church is severely criticizing worship of ancient deities

http://www.focus-fen.net/index.php?c...tte=2006-03-25

Old March 26th, 2006 #2
Abzug Hoffman

Oh, that's all they need, a bunch of fucking stupid nudists running around acting out "ancient rites" they read in books from Barnes and Noble and Samuel Weiser, Inc.

Tree worship, phallic worship, devil worship, et cetera, et cetara, et cetara.

Old March 26th, 2006 #3
Sunwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abzug Hoffman
Oh, that's all they need, a bunch of fucking stupid nudists running around acting out "ancient rites" they read in books from Barnes and Noble and Samuel Weiser, Inc.

Tree worship, phallic worship, devil worship, et cetera, et cetara, et cetara.
I see, another attempt to mock the attempts of real Aryans to reconnect to their ancient past?
Would you rather that they shat upon their ancestral gods in order that they worship the `god` of the Jews?
You are quick to comment on subjects that you know absolutely nothing about.Or did you `read a book` about the ancient Hellenic gods as well?

Old March 30th, 2006 #4
Abzug Hoffman

Wait and see what they do. It will be monkey business. I bet half of it is lesbos - and jewish lesbos at that - running around naked, beating drums and hollering, and smearing menstral blood around.

Old March 30th, 2006 #5
Mcintosh

We don't need to worship ANYTHING we need to distance ourselves from religious beliefs and focus on bettering our planet though technology. We can see thousands of distant galaxies and there is no god out there, we know the secrets of life and how evolution brought us to the point we are at.

Old March 30th, 2006 #6
Abzug Hoffman

Neo-paganism is not reconnecting with the ancient past, but reconnecting with that time when you were five or seven and you saw "Peter Pan" and got the unhealthy idea into your head that you would "never grow up, you would stay a boy forever!" and find your way to Never Never Land to hang out with Peter and Tiger Lily and the Indian Tribe.

Old March 31st, 2006 #7
Sunwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcintosh
We don't need to worship ANYTHING we need to distance ourselves from religious beliefs and focus on bettering our planet though technology. We can see thousands of distant galaxies and there is no god out there, we know the secrets of life and how evolution brought us to the point we are at.
I don`t think that we should throw the baby out with the bath water.
The spiritual dimension is an integral part of the human psyche.
Rather than explore space perhaps we need to explore the psyche as the great Jung did before us?

Old March 31st, 2006 #8
Sunwheel

Quote:
Neo-paganism is not reconnecting with the ancient past, but reconnecting with that time when you were five or seven and you saw "Peter Pan" and got the unhealthy idea into your head that you would "never grow up, you would stay a boy forever!" and find your way to Never Never Land to hang out with Peter and Tiger Lily and the Indian Tribe.
As Judaism is the parent of Cristianity it makes me wonder what you are `reconnecting` to!

Old March 31st, 2006 #9
Sunwheel

Quote:
Wait and see what they do. It will be monkey business. I bet half of it is lesbos - and jewish lesbos at that - running around naked, beating drums and hollering, and smearing menstral blood around.
Sounds like a typical pentecostal service to me.

Old March 31st, 2006 #10
albion

Default Temple of Delphi

The biggest religious phenomenon during this era, which made the biggest impact on traditions, was undoubtedly the oracle at the sanctuary of Apollo at Delphi on the southern slopes of Mount Parnassos in Central Greece. In the last quarter of the 8th Century BC we see a steady increase of artifacts found at the settlement site in Delphi. Pottery and bronze work and tripod dedications continue in a steady stream, in comparison to Olympia. Neither the range of objects nor the presence of prestigious dedications proves that Delphi was a focus of attention for worshippers of a wide range, but the strong representation of high value goods are found in no other mainland sanctuary, certainly encourages that view.

The first oracle at Delphi was commonly known as the Pythia, though her name was Herophile. She sang her predictions, which she received from Gaia. Later, "Sibyl" became a title given to whichever priestess manned the oracle at the time. The Sibyl sat on the Sibylline Rock, breathing in vapors from the ground 2 and gaining her often puzzling predictions from that. Pausanias claimed that the Sibyl was "born between man and goddess, daughter of sea monsters and an immortal nymph". Others said she was sister or daughter to Apollo. Still others claimed the Sibyl received her powers from Gaia originally, who passed the oracle to Themis, who passed it to Phoebe.

This oracle exerted considerable influence across the country, and was consulted before all major undertakings: wars, the founding of colonies, and so forth. She also was respected by the semi-Hellenic countries around the Greek world, such as Lydia, Caria, and even Egypt. Croesus of Lydia consulted Delphi before attacking Persia, and according to Herodotus received the answer "if you do, you will destroy a great empire." Croesus found the response favorable and attacked, and was utterly overthrown (resulting, of course, in the destruction of his own empire).

The oracle is also said to have proclaimed Socrates the wisest man in Greece, to which Socrates said that if so, this was because he alone was aware of his own ignorance. This claim is related to one of the most famous mottos of Delphi, which Socrates said he learned there, Gnothi Seauton (Γνώθι Σεαυτόν): "know thyself". Another famous motto of Delphi is Meden Agan (Μηδέν Άγαν): "nothing in excess".

In the 3rd century A.D., the oracle (perhaps bribed) declared that the god would no longer speak there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Delphi

Old March 31st, 2006 #11
albion

Default Cult of Zeus

Zeús or Dzeús (Greek Ζεύς) or Dias (Greek Δίας) ("divine king") is the leader of the gods and god of the sky and thunder in Greek mythology.

Zeus is the continuation of *Dyeus, the supreme god in Indo-European religion, also continued as Vedic Dyaus Pitar (cf. Jupiter), and as Tyr (Ziu, Tiw, *Tiwaz) in Germanic and Norse mythology. Tyr was however supplanted by Odin as the supreme god among the Germanic tribes and they did not identify Zeus/Jupiter with either Tyr or Odin, but with Thor. Zeus is the only deity in the Olympic pantheon whose names has such a transparent Indo-European etymology, the "Sky Father" (Burkert 1985, p 321).

In addition to his Indo-European inheritance, the classical Zeus also derives certain iconographic traits from the cultures of the ancient Near East, such as the scepter. Zeus is envisaged by Greek artists especially in two poses: standing, striding forward a thunderbolt levelled in his raised right hand and seated in majesty.

Role and epithets
Zeus played a dominant role, presiding over the Greek Olympic pantheon . He fathered many of the heroes and heroines (see list at bottom of article) and was featured in many of their stories. Though the Homeric "cloud gatherer" was the god of the sky and thunder like his Near Eastern cognates, he was also the most supreme cultural artifact; in some senses, he was the embodiment of Greek religious beliefs and the archetypal Greek deity.

The epithets or titles applied to Zeus emphasized different aspects of his wide-ranging authority:

Olympios emphasized Zeus's kingship over both the gods and the Panhellenic festival at Olympia.
  • A related title was Panhellenios, ('Zeus of all the Hellenes') to whom Aeacus' famous temple on Aegina was dedicated.
  • As Xenios, Zeus was the patron of hospitality and guests, ready to avenge any wrong done to a stranger.
  • As Horkios, he was the keeper of oaths. Liars who were exposed were made to dedicate a statue to Zeus, often at the sanctuary of Olympia.
  • As Agoraios, Zeus watched over business at the agora, and punished dishonest traders.

more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeus

Old March 31st, 2006 #12
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

did you see how at the total solar eclipse this week, lots of people were thronging to temples and amphitheatres around the meditteranean? kind of a solar-pagan minirevival of sorts!

Old April 3rd, 2006 #13
Briseis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwheel
I see, another attempt to mock the attempts of real Aryans to reconnect to their ancient past?
Would you rather that they shat upon their ancestral gods in order that they worship the `god` of the Jews?
You are quick to comment on subjects that you know absolutely nothing about.Or did you `read a book` about the ancient Hellenic gods as well?
Oh he's just bitter because he didnt get an invite to the Lupercalia in Feb.
White people weren't always singing in church choirs ya know..
Some folk just arent ready for the pre-Xtian stuff.that's cool,I'm not going to bash them, I do my thing, they can do theirs.

http://silentconsort.com/

Old April 3rd, 2006 #14
Sunwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briseis
Oh he's just bitter because he didnt get an invite to the Lupercalia in Feb.
White people weren't always singing in church choirs ya know..
Some folk just arent ready for the pre-Xtian stuff.that's cool,I'm not going to bash them, I do my thing, they can do theirs.

A wonderful image. Where was the photograph taken?

Old April 3rd, 2006 #15
Herman van Houten
Ausrotter

From the Heliconian Muses let us begin to sing, who hold the great and holy mount of Helicon, and dance on soft feet about the deep-blue spring and the altar of the almighty son of Cronos, and, when they have washed their tender bodies in Permessus or in the Horse's Spring or Olmeius, make their fair, lovely dances upon highest Helicon and move with vigorous feet. Thence they arise and go abroad by night, veiled in thick mist, and utter their song with lovely voice, praising Zeus the aegis- holder and queenly Hera of Argos who walks on golden sandals ...

http://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/hesiod/theogony.htm

Old April 3rd, 2006 #16
Briseis

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunwheel
A wonderful image. Where was the photograph taken?
In Greece, Olympic games 2004, the woman is Greek actress Thalia Prokopiou..
Most Euro's get that Aryan 'hair standing up' feeling at ancient images such as this. I get that no matter if it is
Med/Nord whatever, that gives me that sense of identity and culture, loyalty much more than say, the American flag does. Especially these days. When I was a kid, I used to believe there was no place better than here, but now, living in a stone house on the side of a cliff in Greece sounds even more appealing, given the sorry state of affairs in CA these days.

Old April 4th, 2006 #17
Abzug Hoffman

Lupercalia, an excellent example of a stupid pagan ceremony, as most of them are, even the Roman ones.

That Thalia looks like 10,000 other actresses of a certain origin.

Old April 4th, 2006 #18
albion

The Minoan snake goddess, Crete, ~ 1600 BC

Last edited by albion; April 4th, 2006 at 05:34 PM.

Old April 4th, 2006 #19
Briseis

Wink

BBQing internet trolls according to ancient ritual specifications..
Later, there would be great improvements on this theme.

Old April 4th, 2006 #20
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briseis
In Greece, Olympic games 2004, the woman is Greek actress Thalia Prokopiou..
Most Euro's get that Aryan 'hair standing up' feeling at ancient images such as this. .......
Those garments are not true to the Hellenic age. I suspect they cover too much or perhaps it's the crossing ligature between the breasts, which I have never seen in depictions of ancient women's dress. That to me seems a little Hollywood. Also I understand that the Doric style of woman's dress entirely exposed the sides.

I looked this up and found a plate which depicts this slit at the side:

Here is a library of such images for comparison
http://www.uky.edu/AS/Classics/agfc-moyrsmith.html

Thread