VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 28th, 2009 #21
Freodheric Jameson
Reconquista Revanchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_J. View Post
05 won't cut it. They made a ton of changes for 2008. If anyone needs a codebook, you better get the 08 one. For example, AFCI circuit protection went from bedrooms only (05 Code) to pretty much every room in a home that isn't GFCI'd, like bathrooms and kitchens. They also changed the exemption for no GFCI on fixed equipment, such as sump pumps. It still applies for industry, but not for anyone else. We have had trouble with that where I work in dealing with condensate pumps that cause nuisance tripping of GFCIs. Anyway, lots and lots of changes this Code cycle.
I need to update my code book.

When I got my license in North Carolina several years ago, I got a General license, which is more or less equivalent to a journeyman. With a General you could do residential contracting, but nothing over a certain dollar amount, and no com/ind, if I remember correctly. When I moved to Texas my license wouldn't transfer, and the procedure is so political, I just work in my plant job, & no outside elect. work. In small towns or rural areas, I imagine there's a lot of underground cash stuff, but in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, the city regs are RIGIDLY enforced; unless you pay out large bribes I expect.

I hate GFCI's. They seem to trip out almost at random, sometimes with no current load. Plus, after tripping out a few times they won't reset.

Old July 28th, 2009 #22
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freodheric Jameson View Post
I need to update my code book.
They really did make a ton of changes this time. I think in 05 the big thing was broadband, electric vehicles and AFCIs. One good thing is that the new code books have shaded the changes, so when you are reading, you can tell what is new.

I splurged and bought the handbook which I used to call the picture book. It actually has come in quite handy. I am glad that I bought it instead of just the text. Some of the illustrations are very helpful.

Quote:
When I got my license in North Carolina several years ago, I got a General license, which is more or less equivalent to a journeyman. With a General you could do residential contracting, but nothing over a certain dollar amount, and no com/ind, if I remember correctly. When I moved to Texas my license wouldn't transfer, and the procedure is so political, I just work in my plant job, & no outside elect. work. In small towns or rural areas, I imagine there's a lot of underground cash stuff, but in Dallas, Fort Worth, Houston, the city regs are RIGIDLY enforced; unless you pay out large bribes I expect.
I bet there is a lot of bribery going on in the big cities. Everywhere.

Quote:
I hate GFCI's. They seem to trip out almost at random, sometimes with no current load. Plus, after tripping out a few times they won't reset.
Yes, I have had lots of problems with them. The biggest being with condensate pumps on HVAC systems. The state decided to override the NEC when they adopted the 08 code and kept the exemption for sump pumps. Obviously, whoever on the code making panel did away with the exemption for fixed equipment didn't think about sump pumps. Someone's house could flood if a sump pump was on a GFCI.

Some of these AFCIs are even worse. I have seen a lot of trouble out of them when upgrading circuits to code, like installing a new panel. They trip out because of wiring issues with the existing, old wire.

Old July 29th, 2009 #23
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTPTT View Post
My original post was in regard to my wishing to design and install pv and other renewable energy systems for clients who may wish to have such systems installed at their home or business...
In that case, why not get the bare minimum on knowledge required, start a small company and hire someone with the credentials to certify the work and some pee-ons to screw the panels onto a roof. Don't forget the accountant.
When the cash starts flowing in, you can take time out for some tax-deductable schooling to get the credentials you need to certify the electrical hook-up yourself.
If all goes well, you'll get a jump start on the competition and set your reputation, before your future competitors get into the game, cutting into your action using migrant labor

Old July 31st, 2009 #24
Moose

Hey Joe, please advise. I'm early 20s, strongly considering trade school (plumbing or electrical). What are the pros and cons?

Old July 31st, 2009 #25
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Hey Joe, please advise. I'm early 20s, strongly considering trade school (plumbing or electrical). What are the pros and cons?
Well, I will do what I can to offer some insight.

Just about every trade anticipates strong demand with fewer new guys coming in. Their alternative is to hire Mexicans, etc. to take the place of the old guys retiring. So, I would say go for something more technical that is less likely to be flooded with mestizos/low IQ types. Electrical can be technical, or not. New guys, and the mestizos, in electrical pull wire. That's kind of where you start and then you move up. With electrical, you can go different ways-commercial, industrial and residential. With the housing downturn, there is a glut of electricians, unless you are going to work with PV (solar) which the run of the mill guys don't know.

If you live in a union area, I understand that the IBEW apprentice program is very good.

Plumbing takes knowledge but not as intensive as electrical, IMO. Solar is an option here, too. Solar hot water is getting more and more use. Personally, if I were going to be a plumber, I would stick with new construction. I wouldn't want to have to do service calls on someone's clogged toilet, etc.

HVAC is a very good trade to look into. Any apartment complex, etc. looking for a maintenance guy always specifies that applicants have to know HVAC and have an EPA refrigerant card. Plus, homes built now require climate control to be livable. HVAC is technical, is a necessity and has a low number of mestizos involved (in my area anyway). I would look into that. I think Axel Faaborg (on VNN here) is a HVAC tech. He could tell you more. I work in the HVAC industry, but in electrical. I see the tech stuff that these guys have to know and I even attend some of the classes. Way too much for the average nigger or mud.

I started in electronics doing repair work. When I finally bought out an old tiimer, he said that a good economy was bad for repairmen. He was right. So is cheap China junk. Anyway, I got out of it, but with the recession it may come back as a viable way to earn a living. If you go that route, though, look for the viability of working in aerospace, industry, etc. The days of the town tv repair shop are pretty much over unless you are a mfg. authorized repair center.

Old July 31st, 2009 #26
Kind Lampshade Maker

Selling Mexican TVs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_J. View Post
...New guys, and the mestizos, in electrical pull wire...
They're 1st runners up for coming back at night to pull much more wire than they do during daylight hours

Last edited by Kind Lampshade Maker; July 31st, 2009 at 05:36 PM.

Old July 31st, 2009 #27
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
Selling Mexican TVs?They're 1st runners up for coming back at night to pull much more wire than they do during daylight hours
That's very true. Not many companies hire the mestizos. The ones that do usually end up with theft problems. My company won't hire them. Not official policy, they just don't. They had one that stole jewelry from a customer. Next day, the customer laid bait in the form of a Rolex watch. They found it in the mestizo's sock.

Old July 31st, 2009 #28
Kind Lampshade Maker

I heard Rolex was buying back their exported watches to keep the price high through limiting stock

Old July 31st, 2009 #29
Joe_J.
Radio active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker View Post
I heard Rolex was buying back their exported watches to keep the price high through limiting stock
Gee, sounds like they have been taking lessons from those dirty jews that run the diamond market.

BTW, I stopped in a jewelry store to look at a ring for my wife before we got married. The kike running the store sat me down and went into his pitch. Finally, he says, "the diamond market is controlled. I can look out for you." I said, "yeah, it is run by the jew mob"

The look on his face was priceless. Wish I had a camera with me.

Wife decided to boycott the diamond market. She got a ring, just not a diamond.

Old August 1st, 2009 #30
Joe_J.
Radio active

Default Mexican Electricians.

Quote:
SAN JUAN - A San Juan family is homeless after a fire ripped through their home.

The fire broke out this afternoon at a home on Yesenia and 39th Street.

Five were inside the home at the time, but were able to get out safely.

The fire came close to other homes, but firefighters were able to contain it before it spread.

Fire crews tell NEWSCHANNEL 5 they believe several air conditioning window units might have overloaded a circuit box, but say it’s still too early to tell if that is what caused the fire.
http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story..._dFUSIt-A.cspx

Old August 1st, 2009 #31
Kind Lampshade Maker

Default A Mexican electrician sleeping on the job:

Thread