Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 23rd, 2010 #41
Rick Ronsavelle

From one of our own, the late John "Birdman" Bryant (1980):

D3 Deriving "Ought" from "Is" Ever since the time of David Hume, empirical-minded philosophers have been distinguished by (among other things) the habit of applying the sobriquet "naturalistic fallacy" to the belief that statements of what ought to be can be derived from statements of what is. The reason such philosophers have been so disdainful of this belief
is that scientific investigation of nature apparently yields only natural physical laws, and not moral ones; so from this point of view it seems that nature is essentially amoral, and thus that morality cannot be derived from it or justified on the basis of it.

However, if one considers the fact that human societies do develop moral laws, and that the behavior of societies like that of all other objects—is merely the result of natural law, then it seems that there may after all be a significant sense in which the " is " of nature yields the "ought" of morality.

Now the best resolution to the above controversy, so it seems, is to observe that "ought" statements can be translated into statements of relative necessity. (For example, "You ought to do good works" can be reasonably translated as "It is necessary relative to your getting to heaven (or being loved, or producing the greatest good for the greatest number)
that you do good works.") Statements of relative necessity, however, depend for their truth purely on empirical or logical facts (such as the facts—if they are facts—that God rewards do-gooders, or that everyone's doing good implies that the greatest good for the greatest number will be accomplished). Accordingly, we see that statements of what "ought to be", by being statements of relative necessity, are nothing more than statements of what "is". The "naturalistic fallacy", therefore, does not appear to be quite so fallacious after all.

http://projecteuclid.org/DPubS/Repos...jfl/1093882940

Rand claims to have solved this problem (the "objectivist ethics"- what an entity "is" determines what it "ought" to do) Lungs are meant for breathing, therefore one ought to breathe. And so on.

Here is a nice one from JB- Race and Groups- The Libertarian Blind Spot http://www.thebirdman.org/Index/Lbtn...BlindSpot.html

http://www.thebirdman.org/

Last edited by Rick Ronsavelle; August 23rd, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Old August 23rd, 2010 #42
William Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayCoomar View Post
But Prof. Pace, what about David Hume's critique of induction? He categorically rejects it.
Unreasonable. He is pretty much the origin of of the attempt to hold inductive arguments to deductive scrutiny. His entire critique is essentially, "well we can't be 100% sure with induction so it is useless". That is outdated medieval thinking.

Old August 23rd, 2010 #43
Kamerad Q

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Pace View Post
Yeah it'd be great, good luck getting it accredited though. Believe me I know. I've sat in on meetings with marxist jews. You have no idea.
And from this axiom we can deduce that Jews, and the whole putrid cloud of Judaeo–Christian zeitgeist that comes with them are antithetical to the pursuit of knowledge, therefore their accreditation is the academic equivalent of a dunce cap embroidered with a circle K.

The great secret of the Jew-centric universe is that Jews are only the center of their universe, not ours. The William Pace Institute for Advanced Study sets a higher standard, its graduates will generally outperform those from lesser institutions, and as its reputation increases, so too will the prospects of its students.

Old August 23rd, 2010 #44
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

Will the William Pace Institute of Advanced Study allow admission to coconuts like me?

Join a gym. Get in shape. If women still hate you, well then that can't be changed, but as much as they hate you, they will still want to lay you. -Keifer

Old August 23rd, 2010 #45
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

Default Indian Institute of Advanced Study

This magnificent building was made by the British and was the Viceroy's residence during summers when it was too hot in new delhi. I've been inside this building and it's majestic splendour is something to behold.

Join a gym. Get in shape. If women still hate you, well then that can't be changed, but as much as they hate you, they will still want to lay you. -Keifer

Old August 23rd, 2010 #46
Kamerad Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayCoomar View Post
Will the William Pace Institute of Advanced Study allow admission to coconuts like me?
Man, you really are a kooky coconut Coomar. With all of its majestic splendor the Indian Institute of Advanced Study is still missing that all important swinging bridge.

Old August 23rd, 2010 #47
Vijay Coomar
TNT NT-YT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamerad Q View Post
Man, you really are a kooky coconut Coomar. With all of its majestic splendor the Indian Institute of Advanced Study is still missing that all important swinging bridge.
When I become the Prime Minister of India I'll have it renamed as the "William Pace Institute of Advanced Study" and have a swinging bridge constructed. haha.

Thread