Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 29th, 2015 #1
Crowe

Default Supposedly free Windows 10 upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1?

When microjew says "supported lifetime of the device" to explain how long these "free upgrades" will last, that raises huge red flags with me. Someone might assume that's as long as the said device functions, or as long as the planned update period for this OS will be, whether its 10 years or whatever. But that might not be the case.

It appears to me like microjew is planning on fleecing millions into upgrading from a OS that doesn't require a monthly/yearly support license to one that does.

The reason I think this is shady is because MS still hasn't officially clarified what they mean by that. Which means they're hiding something. With all this legal bullshit and "terms of usage" that amounts to a giant wall of text you have to click a little box to agree to before you can even use the product, they could easily get away with something like this. Or they could even change the terms of usage whenever they see fit.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...aa43f91?auth=1

Quote:
Microsoft will be requiring you to pay ongoing fees for security updates and patches. Furthermore, if your decide to try to use your device without paying for the updates, your device will be programmed to take you to a block screen so you won't be able to access any of your personal files, or use your machine at all.
And:

Quote:
After the first year you'll receive a notification which reads, "Your device has reached the end of its support period. If you would like to renew your support license go to www.microsoft.com/...."

Microsoft has never clearly stated in any of their press releases that they will not be doing this. Every single press release has been nebulous double-speak designed to avoid declaring that this is exactly what they intend to do, and exactly what Microsoft executives have told shareholders when discussing wanting to turn Windows 10 from a product into an on-going service.

Your device will be supported for the duration of the support phase, and the duration of the support phase is determined by the duration of the support license that you purchase, not the planned lifetime of product updates.

Old July 30th, 2015 #2
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate

I read in the German press that it's also available for windows 8, as an act of reconciliation for the annoying hiding of functions and missing tool bar. Our office is now outdated, so this continual paying to keep programs going isn't new. In fact, I was going to download it, until I read this thread. The traditional tooling makes downloading a VPN much easier, since the browser settings for Google are hidden, when using Windows 8. Not that I like using Windows whatsoever. My Ol'lady bought this ACER with the 8 already in it and as soon as the warranty ran out, it started acting up. The physical internet quit and I ended up having to plug the WIFI antenna, which I normally use on vacation to tap a hotel's hotspot, into the USB outlet. I thought that the update to 10 would wash this out, if this was simply typical ACER behavior.
For those who don't have enough common sense to cover the camera and microphone, the 10 enables voice commanding and you can be sure other undesireable capabilities will ride running board into your compute.
Here, a 66 image photo gallery of what your screen would look like afterwards. To see evrything from the beginning, simply click on "erstes bild":

http://winfuture.de/news,86858.html#...1366,768,12461

Quote:
...Please be informed, that Windows 10 is a free upgrade path for all users who has Windows 7 and above installed in their computer. However, for older operating systems, it wouldn’t be so...
The "apps" which are now held hostage are peripheral, anyway, unless someone is further informed:

Quote:
...However, there would be a limitation in the functionality of few apps (Office) until they are paid for. So overall, Windows 10 is for use, provided the upgrade path is correct...
Here, updating to Windows 10 will erase any anti-virus programs of which their prescriptions have run out and then replace them with Microsoft's version:

http://www.focus.de/digital/computer...d_4730826.html

Quote:
...Die Installation löscht dem User auch den Virenschutz vom Rechner, wenn dessen Abo abgelaufen ist. An seiner Stelle installiert Microsoft automatisch seinen eigenen Windows Defender...

Last edited by Samuel Toothgold; July 30th, 2015 at 05:10 AM.

Old August 5th, 2015 #3
Crowe

A lot of these new features with W10 seem to be based around social networking, and making it easier for you to share more info about yourself to anyone who has access to the internet. The way this works is those who believe in privacy clearly have something to hide, or are conspiracy nutters. Those are the only 2 arguments I've heard against those who bring up social networking or similar features like this into question.

Old August 6th, 2015 #4
Samuel Toothgold
Charachature incarnate

Location: Already in accordance with the future Repulsive Tapir Avatar Mandate

On the German version, the security option settings are scattered around, so that you have to go look for them, instead of having them all in one place.

Old August 8th, 2015 #5
Crowe

I gave it a test drive after I found out you could just roll back if you don't like it. They got a specific setting that allows you to roll back to the exact point before you upgraded to windows 10, so you lose nothing. Also you can disable all that tracking bullshit.

The OS ran like shit. Doing the upgrade from Windows 7 caused all sorts of problems. It took me like 2-3 minutes to boot up in Windows 10, when 7 boots in 30-35 secs. It took another solid minute after logging into Windows 10 for the systray to load up. That loads up in 3-5 secs on Windows 7 for me. I ended up looking in the event viewer to see wtf was going on, and it was a wall of errors, everything from my network adapter to MS security, the windows index, and a ton of other stuff. At least 15-20 different errors with some of them happening multiple times. And to top it all off I couldn't even install the fucking updates. They'd hang up at a certain %. That never happened a single time, ever in Windows 7 for me. I thought the installation might have been corrupted so I ran sfc /scannow in the command prompt, no errors. Ran CHKDSK, no errors. I rolled back to Windows 7 and all those problems were fixed. If it was just 1 or 2 issues, I might have taken the time to look for a fix. The fix is to just not use Windows 10. It might work better if you do a clean install instead of an upgrade, but I'm not gonna do that.

Last edited by Crowe; August 8th, 2015 at 03:11 AM.

Old September 5th, 2015 #6
Crowe

I had to do a fresh install of windows, and I did a fresh install of 10 rather than an upgrade like I tried last time that fucked my PC up. Bought a new hard drive due to my old one showing signs of going bad. So far windows 10 is OK from a clean boot. Its a little faster than 7, and the OS system uses less resources.

There are some bullshit features that I had to modify/disable. Some of you may wish to disable the same stuff.

-Setting UAC to "never notify" in Windows 10 doesn't disable it, and you have to manually edit the fucking registry to get rid of it. The best UAC is not being stupid. A program isn't gonna fix that. Useless. Everyone's a nigger according to microjew and nobody that operates a PC has enough sense to be able to use one without UAC holding their hand..... Or an option to disable this would have been included in the UAC settings.

-Gotta go into the group policy editor to enable the option to disable windows updates, unless you're using wifi and then you can set connection to metered. But the later setting isn't there for a wired connection.

-One drive is useless for me personally. My internet isn't fast enough to make use of cloud storage for worthwhile amounts of data, and it uses PC resources. I disabled it.

-Cortana. I don't personally use it and I think its just another way for microjew to obtain data, and it uses some resources, so I may as well disable it. The start menu search works just fine, which is different than the cortana search box.

Last edited by Crowe; September 5th, 2015 at 04:11 PM.

Old September 22nd, 2015 #7
Neo Quon

I have never paid for any Windows OS and right now 2 of my computers are on official Windows 10 Build 10547. That is why I love M$ so much. You never have to pay for the OS. I'm not a terrorist nor have I have anything to hide. So security does not worry me. I tried "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" but didn't like what I couldn't do. So I removed it. I think Windows 10 will be freely supported until 2020. But I don't really care when.

Old October 6th, 2015 #8
Crowe

After using it for awhile, I do think its faster than 7. It took a little research to make this OS run the way I want, but I'm content with the upgrade. I moved my OS over to a 256gb SSD last weekend. The OS boots up in like 10-12 secs and that includes stopping to type my password in. As soon as I login to windows, I can click firefox browser and it opens up immediately with no visible lag. I was due for a minor upgrade considering this PC is 4 years old.

Old October 17th, 2015 #9
varg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo Quon View Post
I have never paid for any Windows OS and right now 2 of my computers are on official Windows 10 Build 10547. That is why I love M$ so much. You never have to pay for the OS. I'm not a terrorist nor have I have anything to hide. So security does not worry me. I tried "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" but didn't like what I couldn't do. So I removed it. I think Windows 10 will be freely supported until 2020. But I don't really care when.

Thread