VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 6th, 2008 #41
Curious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right is Right View Post
It is likely that with the fall of Byzantium much of what was left of the Greek elite went to Venice and elsewhere in the west. That makes sense to me, those who could, left before the vestiges of the Empire fell to the Turk, what was left was raped, killed and enslaved by the devilish mongrel hoards.

Modern Greece could be a good example of the evils of race mixing, since the fall of Byzantium no noteworthy intellectual, scientific or economic accomplishment has come from there (in any case I can´t think of any), arguably the highest accomplishment these people have had was to throw off the weakened, decaying carcass of the Turkish Empire.
But how did the Greek language survive, if its people were more or less genocided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aistulf View Post
“Greeks” is probably a very broad term to begin with, but the people — regardless of who exactly or whatever name they might've went by — that created the civilization and its greatness in antiquity most definately were Aryan, as in Indo-European. I'm sure Hitler was referring to the same whenever he spoke of ‘the Greeks.’

It must have been a portion, a la the Spartans or ancient Macedonians (the people that put forth the military genius Alexander the Great, for instance).

But linguistically speaking — and then I guess we're back at the ‘mainstream’ ‘Greek’ Greeks — while Greek is classified as being Indo-European, there are a lot of peculiarities. For instance, elementary lexicon such as the words for ‘yes’ and ‘no’ differ very radically from other Indo-European languages, and show some similarity rather with Arabic. I'll not get too in-depth into this in this thread, if anyone is interested I guess I could open up a new thread.
Open up a new thread, or PM-me, if others aren't interested. But Arabic itself has different words for 'yes' within its dialects;

iyeh Moroccan
aywaEgyptian
na3amClassical

As a side note, the main reason present day Greeks are seen as White is because of resistance against Islam.But the Georgians too are stalwart crusading defenders of Christendom;

Old October 6th, 2008 #42
Hugo Böse
Jeunesse Dorée

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
But how did the Greek language survive, if its people were more or less genocided?
I´ll assume that Greek was the language of science and literature so the Turk kept it around.

Old October 7th, 2008 #43
Curious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right is Right View Post
I´ll assume that Greek was the language of science and literature so the Turk kept it around.
But it was the peasants who kept demotic alive. Katharevousa was developed in the 19th century. The cultured languages of Turkey were Arabic, Persian, and a hybrid of the two combined with some Turkish called Ottoman.

Thread