VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old March 22nd, 2009 #1
8Man
"moderate" radical

Default ARA v. Aryan Guard - Calgary, AB 21Mar09

Captions from some of the 17 pictures
Quote:
The Aryan Guard make a last stand as they marched in downtown Calgary on Saturday, March 21, 2009 and fought with anti-racists tying up traffic for over an hour.

Anti-racist protesters confront white-pride supporters in downtown Calgary, Alberta March 21, 2009.

Police make an arrest in the middle of traffic on 7th avenue downtown during a white pride protest which police scrambled to keep under control in Calgary on March 21, 2009.

A masked white pride member and a protester shove each other during a protest.

Anti-racist protesters, left, confront white-pride supporters in downtown Calgary, Alberta March 21, 2009. The anti-racist group came out in force stop a march to city hall organized by the Aryan Guard.

The Aryan Guard, including these three men, marched in downtown Calgary on Saturday, and clashed with anti-racists tying up traffic for over an hour.

Jason Devine, public spokesperson for the Anti-Racist Action Calgary group speaks to people protesting the Aryan Guard gathered peacfully on the steps of Calgary City Hall on Satuday morning, March 21, 2009.

People protesting the Aryan Guard gathered peacfully on the steps of Calgary City Hall on Satuday morning, March 21, 2009. Many of them had their faces covered.
Complete picture gallery at: Aryan Guard protest in Calgary, March 21, 2009

More media coverage of Aryan Guard activity

Old March 22nd, 2009 #2
Tomasz Winnicki
White - European - Aryan

They printed my comment here http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pro...700/story.html

Old March 25th, 2009 #3
Bassanio
Hath not a Goy eyes?

Quote:
Complete picture gallery at: Aryan Guard protest in Calgary, March 21, 2009
The captions made me sick to my stomach.

Quote:
They printed my comment here http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pro...700/story.html
Quote:
I was informed by locals who have attended the White Pride World Wide march that all of those arrested by the police were from the anti-racist side. Also those who threw cans, rocks, bottles, etc. at the White marchers were as well from the anti-racist side.

This article for the Calgary Sun confirms it:

Quote:
Quote:
By RICK BELL

Smack. What the ...? A protest sign falls to the ground, doing a quick detour off my skull.

Some idiot in the crowd throws a placard on a stick over hundreds of heads on the remote chance it might hit a Nazi.

It doesn't. It hits me.

I feel my head and look at my hand. Blood.

I feel again. More blood.

Somehow it doesn't come as a surprise.

Boneheads toss bottles of water as well as other objects I can't make out and I've been in enough argy-bargy to know when stuff starts flying through the air we're heading to a level of aggravation far more like Clockwork Orange and a long way from Kumbaya.

Your scribbler is jammed up against the city police line, the thin blue line separating two groups who act as if they hate each other, wanting to get the best view. My mother always told me never to push to the front of the line.

You were right, Mom.

Haven't felt this intensity since back in '98 at the World Cup when English and Arab hard boys squared off in the French port city of Marseille and the results were not at all pretty.

You never forget the smell of tear gas or the feeling of a French cop's baton against your nose.

Back to the present, people run all over 7 Ave. S.W. just east of 6 St. S.W. There is a whole lot of space to run in Calgary's cavernous, near-empty downtown.

The day starts out in front of city hall with all kinds of sweet talk about diversity and the evils of racism. One guy even carries a sign quoting Spock from Star Trek.

It reads:Your behaviour is highly illogical.

Everybody speaks, the Communists, the Marxist-Leninists. Other speakers. Many among the assembled don't bother listening.

The Raging Grannies sing. I joke with a citizen passing by on the street.

"All we need is Bronco [mayor of Calgary] to come out and say if he only had more money he would get rid of the Nazis."

I even see the guy who tries to get into the convention centre earlier this week to arrest George W. Bush and himself gets arrested. Few notice him.

But, looking around, there sure are a lot of people in balaclavas and face-covering bandanas. In fact, early on, some of the anti-Nazis think the anti-Nazis with the hidden faces are Nazis and start howling at them.

As the hours pass and the crowd of anti-Nazis wait for the Nazis you can see the hunger growing.

Where are they? Where are the Nazis? Have you heard anything? Are they on the C-Train? Are they getting off at Mewata?

Some souls chant Increase the Peace, but the peace is not increasing. In fact, it is disappearing in a hell of a hurry.

Suddenly, mid-afternoon, after five hours of waiting, some find out some news and we're off, running west down Stephen Avenue.

You can hear screaming. Yes, it's screaming before any chanting. The thought strikes. Who is actually directing this show? The answer becomes clear quickly. No one.

It is chaos mixed with adrenaline. A collective fuse is ready to be lit and somewhere, blocks away, this side and the Nazis will enthusiastically strike the match.

Unlike most protests where the marchers do not see who they are up against, here it will be up close and very personal. The pace picks up. The first chant pleads for diversity.

It doesn't last long. The number of people has increased from the original 150 or so and many more balaclavas and bandanas cover faces.

Down Stephen Avenue, coming up to those gigantic fake tree things. The chant changes. Clear the Streets, Run Them Out. And again. F... the Nazis.

The crowd turns north, off 8 Ave. and onto 6 St. S.W.

Just like that. There they are on 7 Ave., the Nazis, a small group, almost all young, looks like 30 of them.

The two sides converge. The cops appear in the middle, like a battalion of bouncers for a street brawl.

The Nazis wave White Pride Worldwide flags. A couple wave Red Ensigns, this country's banner when the nation was whiter.

One side hurls insults at a vein-popping screech. The other side replies. One guy does the Sieg Heil salute. Another shows off a Nazi tattoo on his stomach. But there are no Nazi flags.

The police form a line, the Nazis move east on 7 Ave. but the anti-Nazis can't get at them. They run down a back alley, one block.

There we are. I make my way to the front. More gestures, more insults and many references to the other side and their alleged sexual orientation.

The only boundary to behaviour is the one provided by the cops.

The question goes through the head, in a cranium about to be whacked with an airborne sign.

What is this about again?

What are these people actually doing here? Then the bottles interrupt the thought, then the sign hits the head, then the blood is on the hand.

Police ask if I want out. At first, I say no. Then an officer takes me by the arm and behind the Nazis to a pair of paramedics who serve in the best EMS in the country.

When we pass the Nazis a few tell me it wasn't them. And it wasn't. The sign came from the side promoting diversity and tolerance and non-violence.

Press come up to ask questions. At one point I have to laugh. I hope a Raging Granny didn't throw the sign.

A small bandage wraps around my head and I go back but the event ends abruptly.

The Nazis get a bus ride out of downtown. The anti-Nazis break up but you can hear them swapping war stories and asking about where to party.

Two anarchists wave a black flag. They see me and one smiles.

"Sorry." (Calgary Sun, March 22, 2009)

Old May 4th, 2009 #4
Christopher Drake

That makes me want to move back to Canada. Oh, is this "da movement"? Those kids have a lot of heart and anybody who wants to deflate their efforts out to have get booted in the face.

Thread