VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 1st, 2012 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default The Firebombing of Dresden

[from David Irving]

AS THE day draws on I come across a document which I only half-suspected I might ever find. In 1961, when I was writing my first book "The Destruction of Dresden", I was confidentially approached by a German schoolteacher, Hanns Voigt; he said that after the horrific British air raid, he was put in charge of Dresden's Missing Persons Bureau, Abteilung Tote - the Deceased Section. He built an immense card index, and he kept a diary; and he estimated for me that the final death toll in Dresden would have reached 135,000. This was the figure that I, and after me Kurt Vonnegut and others, always used.

Other city officials gave the same kind of estimates. (Later this year I shall post on my website a full dossier on the Dresden death toll.)

Voigt's estimate was a thorn in the side of both German Governments -- both east and west. They had always played down, even trivialised, the air raid casualty figures caused by the British saturation bombing (even as they hyped the numbers killed in the Jewish tragedy).

Only last year a German Government commission consisting of, not just conformist but kow-towing, line-toeing, bowing-and-scraping historians and Nickeseln, agreed that the death roll in the two hour man-made 1945 holocaust in Dresden was far lower, "only 25,000" (or, if possible, even less).

Without doing any in-depth research -- such scholars are far too important for that -- they relied on the police chief's early March 1945 report (which in fact I was the first to find), because it indicated lower figures than Hanns Voigt's for dead and missing.

In the Deborah Lipstadt Trial, her highly-paid chief expert Professor Richard "Skunky" Evans (left) vilified Voigt; he implied that Voigt was a liar, he questioned whether the Missing Persons bureau had ever existed, and he called him a Nazi with an agenda. (Voigt had, we now know, been given a good post-war position in the Soviet Zone before emigrating legally to the West, so the "Nazi" allegation seems unlikely.) Aping Evans, Mr Justice Gray accused me in his 333-page Judgment of falsifying history.

I was not invited to make any submissions to the Dresden Commission. No surprises there. This afternoon, my quiet patience is rewarded. I have come across this new secret document, signed by the police chief of Dresden, and decoded by the British some weeks after the war.

At 5:55 p.m. on March 24, 1945 -- the day in fact when I turned eight, I remember it vividly -- the Dresden Polizeipräsident reported in code to SS Oberführer Dr. Dietrichs:

Re: Missing Persons Situation in Dresden Air Raid Defence region.

The Lord Mayor of Dresden City has established (a) a Central Bureau for Missing Persons and nine Missing Persons registries; (b) eighty- to one-hundred thousand missing-person notifications are estimated to have been registered so far; (c) 9,720 missing-person notifications have been confirmed as fatalities; (d) to date, information on twenty thousand missing person cases has been given out; (e) accurate statistical data possibly only later.

So Voigt was telling the truth.

Even the "hundred thousand" figure for those reported missing must be an under-estimate. There were over half a million homeless refugees in the streets of Dresden, fleeing the Red Army siege of Breslau to the East. Whole refugee families must have been engulfed by the Dresden holocaust, with nobody surviving to report them as "missing".

Another thing seems brutally clear: those listed as "missing" -- in addition to those bodies formally identified and buried or incinerated by this date -- were never going to return. To use the words of the telegram I found yesterday (see above) they were dead, "carbonised," and unidentifiable.

What do these decoded messages tell us about our own lazy and conformist historians, and about "Skunky" Evans in particular? He, and they, would never have found them. It has taken me these many years. Go the extra mile. Eventually, as this morning's Welshman said, "You will be proved right in the end".

http://www.fpp.co.uk//docs/Irving/Ra...0409.html#fake

Old August 1st, 2012 #2
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

This fall, when watching OSU play a home game, remember that attendance at The Horseshoe is typically 100,000+.

That many non-combatant people burned alive for no strategic reason whatsoever. It's difficult to truly comprehend.

Old August 1st, 2012 #3
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie in Ohio View Post
This fall, when watching OSU play a home game, remember that attendance at The Horseshoe is typically 100,000+.

That many non-combatant people burned alive for no strategic reason whatsoever. It's difficult to truly comprehend.
The firebombings are pretty much the only act the British haven't formally apologized for. German superiority really sticks in their craw, and spurs their natural viciousness.

Hitler: allows 700k British fighting troops to 'escape' back to Britain from Dunkirk.

Britain: firebombs hundreds of thousands of German civilians to death for no strategic reason.

Hitler simply didn't understand what he was dealing with in Britain and America.

Old August 2nd, 2012 #4
Rounder

Default Crimes and Mercies

This expose makes my blood boil especially hot.

As many as 13.7 million Germans, mostly women, children, and elderly, were deliberatly killed by the allies, AFTER German men had surrendered their weapons:

Crimes and Mercies -- Hidden Holocaust Revealed

James Bacque, Crimes and Mercies: The Fate of German Civilians Under Allied Occupation (Toronto: Little, Brown, 1997).

Reviewed by Eric Blair
Canadian historian James Bacque's new book, Crimes and Mercies, is a sequel to his 1989 work Other Losses. While the latter focused on the fate of millions of German POWs at the end of the Second World War, more than a million of whom the Allies deliberately left to die of a synergistic combination of disease, exposure, and starvation, his current book focuses largely on the grim, post-war fate of 60 million German civilians.
Published this September [of 1997], Crimes and Mercies is over 300 pages in length. These include over 30 maps, photos, and illustrations; a foreword by historian and legal scholar, Alfred de Zayas, and an introduction by the author; eight chapters of text, as well as an index, bibliography, notes, and appendices.
But it is probably on page 131 that we find the epicenter of the book, and its seismic thesis; it is here, in a little, statistical chart, that Bacque's findings may be seen in a single glance: Totals of Deaths

MinimumMaximumExpellees (1945-50)2,100,0006,000,000Prisoners (1941-50)1,500,0002,000,000Residents (1946-50)5,700,0005,700,000Totals9,300,00013,700,000
"Expellees" refers to the 16,000,000 ethnic Germans who were driven from their ancestral homelands in Poland, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, and elsewhere in Europe, at war's end. These included mostly women and children and elderly men who, with a few belongings in hand and running the gauntlet of deep, local animosity, set out upon the open road toward the rump state of Germany.
"Prisoners" are, of course, the German POWs, the subject of Bacque's first book.
"Residents" here refers to the German civilian population that survived the Second World War.
According to Bacque, given the extraordinarly harsh conditions imposed upon them by the Allies (i.e., the British, French, Soviets, and Americans), at least 9.3 million and possibly as many as 13.7 million Germans, had, by 1950, needlessly died as a result.
He writes: "This is many more Germans than died in battle, air raids and concentration camps during the war. Millions of these people slowly starved to death in front of the victors' eyes every day for years."
Adding: "These deaths have never been honestly reported by either the Allies or the German government."
It is this dishonesty, which is also part silence, part indifference, part anti-German animus, as well as corrupt scholarship, that Bacque intends to remedy with the present volume. [Image: Barefoot German boy scavenges for food; Hamburg, 1946]
Weaving in and out of the central storyline are a number of recurring motifs.
There is the exposure of the unabashed inhumanity of the Allied leadership: Roosevelt, Churchill, Stalin, and De Gaulle.
But it is the U.S. Treasury Secretary, Henry Morgenthau, Jr., who is the arch-villain of the piece, the one who hatched the serpent's egg: the vicious, vengeful Morgenthau Plan for the post-war "pastoralization" (read: the de-industrialization and abject subjugation) of the German people. [Image: Henry Morgenthau, Jr.]
Devised, "cancelled," then implemented via the punitive directive JCS/1067, the Morgenthau Plan wreaked havoc on the German economy and, by extension, the fragile European economy.
Because of it, post-war reconstruction in Germany was delayed until late 1948; by which time millions of German civilians had already perished.
By starkest contrast, the hero of the book -- and to whom it is dedicated -- is Herbert Hoover.
It was Hoover who, in a spirit of Christian charity and true to his Quaker roots, led a worldwide food relief effort during the post-war era; saving, in the process, Bacque claims, probably as many as 80 million lives; a headspinner in a history book full of such daunting statistics.
Hoover also lobbied for a food program to relieve the desperate conditions inside Germany, which, along with the Marshall Plan, helped put an end to the Morgenthau nightmare and rescued literally millions of people from a slow, agonizing death.
Bacque also shines a hard light on the Western media, from the "New York Times" on down, for concealing or outrightly denying the Allies' complicity in numerous atrocities; on their craven betrayal of the anti-Hitler German resistance, the anti-Soviet Cossacks, and the Free Poles; and on the hideous cruelties they, as victors, inflicted on weak, defenceless, but fearless, German women seeking to help ill and starving husbands interned in Allied POW camps.
Bacque's determination to shine a hard light on some long-hidden and neglected truths regarding the Western Allies and their often inglorious actions during and after World War Two will, as sure as night follows day, provoke the animus of the coterie of mythologists who have dined out on simplistic notions of Allied heroism and decency -- and exclusively German villainy -- for the past half-century.
Recalling his bumpy ride following the release of "Other Losses", historian James Bacque expects that a firestorm will likewise follow the publication of "Crimes and Mercies".
Up in Canada, in the letters page of the "Toronto Globe and Mail", a debate has already begun; and signs of bitchery, if not nastiness, are already evident.
But what is encouraging is that Bacque also fully expects that the truth about this tragic page of German history will at long last be made known.
Crimes and Mercies can be purchased from The Institute for Historical Review, PO Box 2739, Newport Beach, CA 92659. $18.95 postpaid (CA sales tax $1.31).

Old August 2nd, 2012 #5
notmenomore

Thanks for the post, Rounder. I will be adding Crimes and Mercies to my library.

Old November 26th, 2012 #6
zoomcopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder View Post
By starkest contrast, the hero of the book -- and to whom it is dedicated -- is Herbert Hoover.
It was Hoover who, in a spirit of Christian charity and true to his Quaker roots, led a worldwide food relief effort during the post-war era; saving, in the process, Bacque claims, probably as many as 80 million lives; a headspinner in a history book full of such daunting statistics
Herbert Hoover should be sainted, but that'd be anti-Semitic.

Old November 26th, 2012 #7
M.N. Dalvez

Quote:
Hitler: allows 700k British fighting troops to 'escape' back to Britain from Dunkirk.

Britain: firebombs hundreds of thousands of German civilians to death for no strategic reason.

Hitler simply didn't understand what he was dealing with in Britain and America.
I am not sure that Hitler realised how jewish-controlled Great Britain was at that point. From reading and hearing what he had to write and say about them at the point, he felt very differently about the US than he did about the UK - it would have been better for the Germans to treat them both the same way.

He felt the British peoples were the racial first cousins of the German people, and he was right about that. But even then, the decision making process was tainted.

Old November 6th, 2013 #8
Rounder

Default Bump

I thought I'd bump this hot article for the benefit of guests and newbies. (Somebody just gave me a thumbs up for it, which spurred me to bring it back up)

Old November 6th, 2013 #9
Rounder

"Millions of these people slowly starved to death in front of the victors' eyes every day for years."
(end quote)

NOTE: A preview of coming attractions, sayeth the JOGs.

Thread