Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 31st, 2021 #341
bradfromjoeford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
ht tps://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/police-step-up-borehamwood-patrols-after-far-right-group-leaflets-jewish-homes/
Collett must have been visiting relatives and decided to kill two birds with one stone...

Old November 1st, 2021 #342
Bev
drinking tea

Bill passed through second reading.

Very little said about religious slaughter - it mostly focusses on other animal welfare but religious slaughter was mentioned.

Quote:
Sir Roger Gale

**With pleasure; a large number of people have campaigned for this ban and it is very good news indeed that it is going to happen.

I will put down one caveat in respect of an amendment that may be needed. The transport of live animals, as distinct from for slaughter, will inevitably continue for the purposes of breeding stock and also because, within the British islands, there is a necessity to move animals from time to time. I urge the Department to look carefully at the weather conditions under which, by sea, that is done. My personal view is that if there is an animal on board, no such transport should be permitted when winds are above force 5 on the Beaufort scale.

Finally, I would like to raise an issue that is not in the Bill, but which will, I think, be so soon: the matter of non-stun slaughter. Some of us have worked carefully—one colleague, in particular, has worked very hard indeed—with the religious organisations, particularly those of the Jewish faith and Muslims, to make certain that it is understood that we do not seek to interfere with religious practice. That said, there is a case for much greater regulation of non-stunned slaughtered animals, because we know perfectly well that vast amounts of kosher and halal meat are produced—not for the British market even, but for export. There is no necessity whatever for that. I believe that I am right in saying that my hon. Friend the Member for West Dorset (Chris Loder) will be seeking to address this matter. If he wishes to intervene, I would be happy to give way to him.

Chris Loder

I thank my right hon. Friend very much; I appreciate his comments. I hope that the whole House would agree that we should indeed pay real attention to and have a real debate on this matter. Does he agree that while we as a House talk very much about the care of our pets—our cats, dogs and others—we should also be having an appropriate, understanding and sensitive debate about that matter?

Sir Roger Gale

My hon. Friend is absolutely right. If he chooses the appropriate time to bring in a suitably sensitive amendment, then he will certainly have my support, and I would hope that he might well have the support of those on the Front Bench as well.Toggle showing location ofColumn 92

All that said, I welcome this Bill, not just as a stand-alone Bill but as part of a raft of measures introduced by this Government designed to improve animal welfare.
ht tps://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2021-10-25/debates/58F30AB3-1785-491F-B9ED-0DDD739F64D8/AnimalWelfare(KeptAnimals)Bill

** does not refer to kosher/halal - the ban referred to is
Quote:
Will my right hon. Friend join me in paying tribute to the Kent Action Against Live Exports group for all that it has done?

Tags
halal, kosher, meat, shechita, slaughter

Thread