VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 3rd, 2005 #21
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
As I was growing up in the '70s, you could basically categorize young rock fans into two groups: Deadheads and Ledheads. Deadheads were the hippies. Ledheads, although wearing long hair and smoking dope just like the hippies, didn't give a rat's ass about leftist grievances one damn bit.
Don't forget the Yes-heads. Nerdy dopers who could sit through entire ELP albums and other such artsy BS.

Blech.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #22
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

You could have just said the same for ELO fans who were just as boring, as a lot of long-haired easy listening listeners

Old December 3rd, 2005 #23
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind Lampshade Maker
You could have just said the same for ELO fans who were just as boring, as a lot of long-haired easy listening listeners
Oh, fuck yes.

They were sickening. Styx, Rush, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd--- same deal. Better than sleeping pills. Rotten party music. Just talking about it gets me nodding off.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #24
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Quote:
..., Spooky Tooth automatically comes to mind. ...
I get flash-backs ...(
I may have a Spooky Tooth vinyl. Did they have more than one? The one I think I have in a box somewhere had a de-capitated head on the cover. I know I have a Blue Cheer vinyl. Again, was there more than one? These two groups vied for the "LOUDEST BAND, EVER." I didn't like either one. Don't know why I got the albums. Don't know why I have two Ultimate Spinach albums either.

flash-backs? I finally stopped having these about 1982. May explain the album purchases.

Enkidu

Old December 3rd, 2005 #25
Kind Lampshade Maker

I'm certain, it was a dark-colored album cover. "Waiting for the Wind" was the broadcast hit

Old December 3rd, 2005 #26
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu
I may have a Spooky Tooth vinyl. Did they have more than one? The one I think I have in a box somewhere had a de-capitated head on the cover. I know I have a Blue Cheer vinyl. Again, was there more than one? These two groups vied for the "LOUDEST BAND, EVER." I didn't like either one. Don't know why I got the albums. Don't know why I have two Ultimate Spinach albums either.
Ultimate Spinach? LOL. They had some loopy names back then. My sister had a Strawberry Alarm Clock record, but I was a bit too young to "appreciate" it.

Wasn't the Who in the Loudest Band competition? The loudest show I ever heard was Grand Funk. It sounded like the Navy jets I later worked on.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #27
Kind Lampshade Maker

Quote:
...These two groups vied for the "LOUDEST BAND, EVER...
That's the impression I've always had from Montrose: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/that7.../rockcandy.htm

I used to think they sang: "You're hot, sweet & sticky"... "Pull off your pants. Common take a chance" It certainly sounded that way

Old December 3rd, 2005 #28
Kind Lampshade Maker

...which included that buttwipe Niel Young. Incidently, Steven Stills has aged- and bloated beyond recognition

Old December 3rd, 2005 #29
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Yes I am telling you that. They put out a string of pop 40 hits not matched in quality or quantity by any other group in the 60's. Yeah, they were assembled, so what?
Pssssttt........The Beatles.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #30
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin
The term/category "pop 40" doesn't include the Beatles.
Of course not. LOL.

Quit while you can.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #31
Hadding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
Oh, fuck yes.

They were sickening. Styx, Rush, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd--- same deal. Better than sleeping pills. Rotten party music. Just talking about it gets me nodding off.
The "party music" requirements are stringent. Party music has to have at least a moderate tempo and, it should be relatively simple with a memorable chorus, and it must not strike anybody as weird.

I think that there is a distinction to be made here between introvert and extravert music. To me, at least, Pink Floyd is certainly not party music; it is music for introverts; you put on a PF album like Meddle and lie down and go into a hypnotic state.

Another good British introvert band was The Move, a 60s-early 70s band from which ELO developed.

Last edited by Hadding; December 3rd, 2005 at 08:21 PM.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #32
Hadding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
You are the coolest. Not one, but two Ultimate Spinach albums?

I've never heard them, but I remember reading their entry in a rock n' roll encyclopedia many years ago. It said, "Their name was more noteworthy than their music."

I don't doubt it for a minute, but still...cool.

Robert Fripp is an underrated guitar player and composer from that era. Although Yes, ELP and King Crimson had rotating personnel for a while, King Crimson wasn't as pretentious and insufferable as the other two, because of Fripp.
I have THREE Ultimate Spinach albums. I am guessing that this was all that they made.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #33
Hadding

Quote:
I may have a Spooky Tooth vinyl. Did they have more than one? The one I think I have in a box somewhere had a de-capitated head on the cover.
I have at least a couple of Spooky Tooth albums. I think Spooky Two is the best. "Waiting for the Wind" is on it.

Last edited by Hadding; December 3rd, 2005 at 08:29 PM.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #34
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin
Fuck you GD kike-a-like. You good for nothing parasite. When was your last contribution to anything? :box:
I paid for every Beatles tune I own...

Take it easy, man.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #35
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadding
The "party music" requirements are stringent. Party music has to have at least a moderate tempo and, it should be relatively simple with a memorable chorus, and it must not strike anybody as weird.
Party music should be fun, ya.
Quote:
I think that there is a distinction to be made here between introvert and extravert music. To me, at least, Pink Floyd is certainly not party music; it is music for introverts; you put on a PF album like Meddle and lie down and go into a hypnotic state.
Rock and roll was more of a social thing in my old circle, so we favored straight-forward tunes that kept folks awake dancing, moving, talking and such. Nothing wrong with twisting a few and spacing out, but that was for home and not for everybody.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #36
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
When Foghat is mentioned, Spooky Tooth automatically comes to mind. Both bands are under-rated.
I get flash-backs from my old RCA combination 8-track & FM stereo which was about 3 inches thick, glowed a mellow red light facade at night and could pump out adequate bass tones and crisp every other. As well, underated equipment. The thing ate one 8-track too many, one night. So, I tore it out, while cruising, and threw it out the window. Stupid kid. I regreted that event, ever since
I had a Kraco 8-track put in the very first car I owned. On my way home from a night of bar-hopping on the strip in Ft. Lauderdale, I decided to plug in The Stones' "Exile on Main Street" tape. Before the first cut was half-way over, sure enough, that p.o.s. started eating it up. I got pissed, grabbed it out of the player, and went to hum the damn thing out the window and onto the road, hoping I'd get to see someone run it over. Well, I didn't quite get all the tape out before I tossed it and the fuckin' thing snapped back and hit me right in the side of the noggin.

Hey, I'm sure as hell glad that friggin' format wasn't around too long.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #37
Hadding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
Nothing wrong with twisting a few and spacing out, but that was for home and not for everybody.
haha I never needed any special substances to space out. The right music was always enough.

Old December 3rd, 2005 #38
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadding
haha I never needed any special substances to space out with the right music.
As you like it....

Old December 3rd, 2005 #39
MOMUS
Doubts the official story

I think Ten Years After is an underrated band.

http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/

Old December 3rd, 2005 #40
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMUS
I think Ten Years After is an underrated band.
After Foghat, they'd definitely be my pick. As fast and as talented as Alvin Lee was on guitar, he never really got the recognition he deserved.

Personally, I thought TYA stole the show in the movie "Woodstock" with their "I'm Goin' Home" number. When I saw it in the theatre, Alvin had half the people there either on their feet clapping or sitting down stomping their feet.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, they were my first concert back in '70. It was also one of the best I've ever attended.

Good call, MOMUS.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; December 3rd, 2005 at 10:21 PM.

Thread