VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 6th, 2005 #61
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamic Man
HUMBLE PIE was my favorite band growing up. Vastly underrated. I was probably the only one in school who was into them and I took a lot of crap for that.
Huh?! What part of the country did you spend your time in, back then. In my part, it was embarassing to listen to Brian Eno, as an extreme

Old December 6th, 2005 #62
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14

"Desert Skies". Great song. Great album.

Thanks for that.

Old December 6th, 2005 #63
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14

Hardly underrated, IMO, but still they've managed to put out what I personally consider the greatest Southern Rock anthem of all time: the seminal classic, "Can't You See?" Even better than -- you ready for this? -- "Freebird" (egads! blasphemy!! )

You can almost feel The South as Doug Gray laments about "what that woman's been doin' to me." Sends me to Redneck Heaven whenever I hear it.

Old December 6th, 2005 #64
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Toy Caldwell of the MTB.

Under-rated guitarist and songwriter.

Old December 6th, 2005 #65
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
Hardly underrated, IMO,
Under-rated a bit. They were just as talented as Skynyrd, but weren't as bombastic, ya know?
Quote:
but still they've managed to put out what I personally consider the greatest Southern Rock anthem of all time: the seminal classic, "Can't You See?" Even better than -- you ready for this? -- "Freebird" (egads! blasphemy!! )
I would have to put "Call Me the Breeze" above both of them. Not quite an anthem, but my favorite Southern Rock tune. Mighty whitey stuff.
Quote:
You can almost feel The South as Doug Gray laments about "what that woman's been doin' to me." Sends me to Redneck Heaven whenever I hear it.
Yup.

Old December 6th, 2005 #66
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystone
Under-rated a bit. They were just as talented as Skynyrd, but weren't as bombastic, ya know?

I would have to put "Call Me the Breeze" above both of them. Not quite an anthem, but my favorite Southern Rock tune. Mighty whitey stuff.

Yup.
Fuck you. You were more on the money with your Duane Allman post.

( kid'n)

Old December 8th, 2005 #67
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
No shit. About the only real rocker these softies ever put out was "Revolution"...

and Lennon's "Instant Kharma" after the breakup.
The Fabs never put anything out close to the Stone's "Stray Cat Blues", "Monkey Man", ad nauseum, etc...from their late 60's, early 70's peak. Sticky Fingers is better than any Beatles album.

The Stones are actually under-rated!......

Old December 8th, 2005 #68
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
The Stones are actually under-rated!......
Also, Keith Richards is under-rated for remaining alive to this day (and as a rythm guitarist).

A miracle, itz!

Old December 8th, 2005 #69
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
Richards is the lead guitarist, and you mispelled rhythm. No more chasing the dragon for you, Keygramps.
Keith Richards is primarily a rithim guitarist, excepting for the few albums after Brian Jones croaked, or when a Chuck Berry-style lead is called for.

Respect your elders.

Old December 9th, 2005 #70
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
The Fabs never put anything out close to the Stone's "Stray Cat Blues", "Monkey Man", ad nauseum, etc...from their late 60's, early 70's peak. Sticky Fingers is better than any Beatles album.

The Stones are actually under-rated! ......
Charging the highest prices in the music biz for concert tickets and you say the poor lads are "under-rated?!"

Underrate me! Underrate me, godammit!

btw -- I don't know how the hell these guys ever slipped by me when thinking of underrated bands, but what about "April Wine?" Just heard them on net radio station RTN this morning. I bought "Nature of the Beast" on LP back in '80, eventually lost/sold it, and then completely forgot about these guys. If you like hard, kick-in-the-balls Rock, give these guys a listen.

Old December 9th, 2005 #71
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelhaken
I misspelled mispelled! What an idiot!
Kindly old Keygramps doesn't fuss about spelling errors like you do, Doppel.
Quote:
Brian Jones was cool.
Ya. The guy could play any instrument he took up expertly, and was the one who figured out the old blues recordings that the Stones covered like crazy.

Too bad he couldn't keep his head out of the medicine jar. He didn't have Ole Keef's constitution.

Old December 9th, 2005 #72
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Charging the highest prices in the music biz for concert tickets and you say the poor lads are "under-rated?!"
The Lads are under-rated in respect to the Beatles. Jagger could sing the blues and rock harder than Lennon or McCartney. Charlie Watts was an under-rated, brilliant rock drummer. He could swing. Ringo was.....Ringo. Keith wrote and played some of the best riffs ever. No one can touch him. He could tear the roof off on lead, too, in his best days.
George Harrison could play, but was he better than Mick Taylor? Was he as multi-talented as Brian Jones?

McCartney was a very good musician, but he leaned towards music hall, schmaltzy ballads and novelty tunes. Lennon could rock out, but then the drugs and Yoko took over and he started taking himself too seriously.

The Stones are just more fucking fun than the Beatles ever were.

Quote:
Underrate me! Underrate me, godammit!
You ain't shit, Hoax.

Quote:
btw -- I don't know how the hell these guys ever slipped by me when thinking of underrated bands, but what about "April Wine?"
I think I saw them opening for Heart a long time ago.

Old December 9th, 2005 #73
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:

You ain't shit, Hoax.

Yeah, well, that's what the antis are always telling me in Opp. What else is new? LOL!

I couldn't agree more that The $tones had it over The Beatles (fuck, Tiny Tim had it over those lightweights). But to say that Mumblin' Mick and Keef were better than Plant and Page is sheer lunacy. Plant had a much better singing voice (right?) and Page was certainly light years ahead of Richards, Taylor, Jones, or Wood when it came to guitar (right?)

Two suggested books on the subject: "Stone Alone" by Bill Wyman, and "Hammer of the Gods" by Stephen Davis. (HOTG being a must read).

Old December 9th, 2005 #74
Keystone
Kindly Hearted

Quote:
Yeah, well, that's what the antis are always telling me in Opp. What else is new? LOL!

I couldn't agree more that The $tones had it over The Beatles (fuck, Tiny Tim had it over those lightweights). But to say that Mumblin' Mick and Keef were better than Plant and Page is sheer lunacy. Plant had a much better singing voice (right?) and Page was certainly light years ahead of Richards, Taylor, Jones, or Wood when it came to guitar (right?)

Two suggested books on the subject: "Stone Alone" by Bill Wyman, and "Hammer of the Gods" by Stephen Davis. (HOTG being a must read).
I was a Zeppelin fan like everyone else was in the 70's. It was mandatory. I still dug the Stones more, because of my taste in music. I thought Plant was a bit screechy and whiny, and wrote lots of hippy-dippy lyrics which I didn't care for. Page was a technician and very good at what he did.

I'll take Mumblin Mick and Keef for fun anyday, which is what rock and roll is all about. I was never into the Hammer of the Gods thing. Hell, I learned disco moves because the chicks liked it. Chicks were the most fun.

Old December 9th, 2005 #75
Danger Man
Banned

Quote:
I can't believe what I'm reading! Someone who actually appreciates Pie's double live "Rockin' The Fillmore" album?! Only the best -- and as you so accurately descibe it, rawest -- hard/blues rock collection of tracks to ever hit record stores. I've had RTF on LP, cassette, and now CD. You simply cannot beat "Stone Cold Fever", "I Walk On Gilded Splinters", or my personal favorite, "I Don't Need No Doctor."

And lets' not forget their "Smokin'" LP with "Thirty Days In The Hole", "Hot n' Nasty", "C'mon Everybody." Yowza!

And yes, Steve Marriott had what was considered one of the all-time best voices in Rock. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Agreed. Marriott had a great voice, one of the best ever. The intro to I Don't Need No Doctor at the Fillmore West is classic. That's a seventeen year old Peter Frampton playing guitar and singing backup btw. Frampton often gets dismissed as a teeny-bopper favorite because of his later solo efforts which had the occasional pop flavor but not so many people remember he was the lead player and a damn good one for Humble Pie. Frampton's voice is very prominent and recognizable on one of their earlier tunes, Natural Born Woman, from around '70 or so which is one of my favorites.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistake

Old December 10th, 2005 #76
DJ_Zarathustra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Man
Agreed. Marriott had a great voice, one of the best ever. The intro to I Don't Need No Doctor at the Fillmore West is classic. That's a seventeen year old Peter Frampton playing guitar and singing backup btw. Frampton often gets dismissed as a teeny-bopper favorite because of his later solo efforts which had the occasional pop flavor but not so many people remember he was the lead player and a damn good one for Humble Pie.
Marriott was a fine rhythm guitarist as well. He does great heavy riffing behind Frampton's vocal spot on "I'm Ready". I always liked the way Marriott sang the improvised intro to that song ("Even you people...behind the glass plate...at the back of the hall...I'M READY!") That was something unique to him, as far as I know. Steve Marriott is sorely missed.

BTW, look at the pics inside that album jacket--if you have the original vinyl version--and you'll see where Seattle's "angst-ridden" grunge wimps got the idea for their look. That's about all they got from this fine British band; none of the style, substance, or heaviness, which they couldn't have duplicated if they'd wanted to.

Old December 10th, 2005 #77
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
Agreed. Marriott had a great voice, one of the best ever. The intro to I Don't Need No Doctor at the Fillmore West is classic. That's a seventeen year old Peter Frampton playing guitar and singing backup btw. Frampton often gets dismissed as a teeny-bopper favorite because of his later solo efforts which had the occasional pop flavor but not so many people remember he was the lead player and a damn good one for Humble Pie. Frampton's voice is very prominent and recognizable on one of their earlier tunes, Natural Born Woman, from around '70 or so which is one of my favorites.

Edit: Fixed spelling mistake
I hear you, buddy. I owned "RTF" and "Smokin'" long before Frampton came out with "Frampton Comes Alive" in what, '76? That album was HUGE, as anyone here old enough to have been around in the day would know. Being a rock purist though, I personally thought it too commercial and "pop", so I never did buy the album. Though I've got to admit, I did think "Do You Feel Like We Do" was pretty decent when I first heard it. But seeing as how Frampton was now the aplha male fronting a band bearing his name, I think more emphasis was placed on his singing, which is pretty good, rather than his axework.

"I Don't Need No Doctor?!" Ya just gotta love it: "I don't need no doctor, my physician told me so..." lol! Killer tune though, as is the rest of the album.

btw -- RTF was recorded at The Fillmore East in NYC, not the Fillmore West in SF.

Last edited by Matthaus Hetzenauer; December 10th, 2005 at 07:34 PM.

Old December 10th, 2005 #78
Danger Man
Banned

Quote:
I hear you, buddy. I owned "RTF" and "Smokin'" long before Frampton came out with "Frampton Comes Alive" in what, '76? That album was HUGE, as anyone here old enough to have been around in the day would know. Being a rock purist though, I personally thought it too commercial and "pop", so I never did buy the album. Though I've got to admit, I did think "Do You Feel Like We Do" was pretty good at the time I first heard it. But seeing as how Frampton was now the aplha male fronting a band bearing his name, I think more emphasis was placed on his singing, which is pretty good, rather than his axework.

"I Don't Need No Doctor?!" Ya just gotta love it: "I don't need no doctor, my physician told me so..." lol! Killer tune though, as is the rest of the album.

btw -- RTF was recorded at The Fillmore East in NYC, not the Fillmore West in SF.
Yeah, you're right, thanks for the correction. I got thinking about that myself after I wrote it but I was too lazy to go back and check it. I lost that album during one of my moves thirty years ago and in my mind I transferred that show from the east coast to the west coast, heh.

I bought the first couple of Frampton's solo albums in the mid '70s, they're long gone now but I think he was calling his band "Frampton's Camel." Those had a few worthwhile tunes on them but they sold about nineteen copies each. That was before his mega-hit breakout album whatever the name of that was, then the live version of that. I had pretty much lost interest in the guy by then but I did like a couple of his later tunes nevertheless. I'd have to go back and look over the playlist to remember them though, off the top of my head I can't recall any titles. He's hawking a "teach-yourself-to-play-guitar" course on an infomercial now in case you haven't seen it. I heard he lost literally ALL his money fifteen years ago or so (sixteen million?, sixty million?, some incredible figure) due to some personal misfortune. Anyway, all that aside, he can play, and his voice does have a unique quality to it. You can hear him clearly when he comes in on the chorus of I Don't Need No Doctor. I have that on a CD and every time I play it I chuckle to myself. When he was "just" a relatively anonymous kid member of Marriott's band he couldn't have had any idea how huge he was gonna be in a few years as a solo act.

Old December 10th, 2005 #79
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Quote:
...Edit: Fixed spelling mistake
Doublehook is watching you

Old December 11th, 2005 #80
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Quote:
I was a Zeppelin fan like everyone else was in the 70's. It was mandatory. I still dug the Stones more, because of my taste in music. I thought Plant was a bit screechy and whiny, and wrote lots of hippy-dippy lyrics which I didn't care for. Page was a technician and very good at what he did.

I'll take Mumblin Mick and Keef for fun anyday, which is what rock and roll is all about. I was never into the Hammer of the Gods thing. Hell, I learned disco moves because the chicks liked it. Chicks were the most fun.
And just what, pray tell, "hippy-dippy" lyrics did Plant "screech?!" He was every bit as good a songwriter as Jagger was and he didn't sound as if he had a bad head-cold when singing either. Hey, I love The Stones' music -- the earlier shit, that is: "Steetfighting Man", "Wild Horses", "Gimme Shelter", "Paint it Black." Now that's classic Rock. I think at this point in their careers they're only in it for the money. IMAO, they haven't put out a half-way decent album since the '70s. And it seems as though every other album they do put out is a "greatest hits" or "best of" collection. Check out their "discography" online and see what I'm talking about. Sure, they might manage to come out with one decent song per CD, but the rest is filler. And I don't buy CDs just so I can hear one little ditty.

"The greatest Rock n' Roll band in the world?!" Maybe. But I think the title of greatest Rock band belongs to Zeppelin. Think about it. And Page was more than a mere "technician." He was a master of the instrument, as were his peers, Beck and Clapton.

btw -- I read a Rolling Stone interview with Jagger decades ago. The interviewer asked if he'd still be performing when he turned 40. His answer? "Nah, that's way too old to be doing what I'm doing. I'd look ridiculous onstage." If they keep it up much longer, they'll be "Rolling" alright -- rolling out onto the stage in wheelchairs that is.

Thread