VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 10th, 2007 #1
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Default Semi Retired Powerlifter

Hello:

I am a semi-retired powerlifter. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, let me know. I'll gladly give advice. I have been lifting for many, many years. It's my way of helping out brothers and sisters. Real name is Jay Gibson, I have benched 725, squatted 940, and deadlifted 600 (sad, I know) in meets.

Used to do so power bodybuilding years back, so I understand about diet and cardio also...
"What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our race and our people, the sustenance of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the fatherland, so that our people may mature for the fulfillment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe."

Old October 10th, 2007 #2
T.J. McAllister

Can you build a lot of muscle with a low fat diet?

I'm struggling to make gains on the bench. I am not overtraining, and I am good about mixing it up (not doing the same weight/reps/motion too often) but I still struggle with getting much more than 225 lbs. Do you have any suggestions?

Old October 10th, 2007 #3
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseGibson View Post
Hello:

I am a semi-retired powerlifter. If I can be of any assistance to anyone, let me know. I'll gladly give advice. I have been lifting for many, many years. It's my way of helping out brothers and sisters. Real name is Jay Gibson, I have benched 725, squatted 940, and deadlifted 600(sad, I know) in meets.

Used to do so power bodybuilding years back, so I understand about diet and cardio also...

Holy shit.

I've never benched more than 315 in my life. It took me a long time to get 3 plates on each side in the gym. Man, I got drunk the first time I did that..lol

How tall/weight (at the time of the lifts) are/were you?

Old October 10th, 2007 #4
ngrh8r
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibernian 2.0 View Post
Holy shit.

I've never benched more than 315 in my life. It took me a long time to get 3 plates on each side in the gym. Man, I got drunk the first time I did that..lol

Same here. It took me a couple straight years of serious lifting to pass the 300 mark on bench.
This dude has to be close to 300 pounds in bodyweight.

Jesse, I can't figure out why your squat is so much better than your deadlift.
Did you neglect your upper back in training for a while?

I'm doing a legs/push pull split routine for power.
Any ideas on the best way to work a few sets of Olympic lifts into my program? Doing them on leg day fucks up my squat. Doing them on push day fucks up my bench. Doing them on pull day REALLY fucks up my deadlift.

Old October 10th, 2007 #5
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. McAllister View Post
Can you build a lot of muscle with a low fat diet?

I'm struggling to make gains on the bench. I am not overtraining, and I am good about mixing it up (not doing the same weight/reps/motion too often) but I still struggle with getting much more than 225 lbs. Do you have any suggestions?

T.J.

Eating a low fat diet makes it difficult because the body uses cholesterol to make testosterone, and fat is the source of cholesterol. I would advise stocking up on cold water fish, they have a high fat content but it is GOOD fat.

As for the training, if your goal is to lift big, you must gear your trainuing for it. Back down to around 205 and go for 3 sets of triples, bumping it up only when three sets of three are all completed. Try this for 7 weeks. Train the bench per se, once a week. Throw in auxillary work in between. Avoid any heavy shoulder work.
"What we must fight for is to safeguard the existence and reproduction of our race and our people, the sustenance of our children and the purity of our blood, the freedom and independence of the fatherland, so that our people may mature for the fulfillment of the mission allotted it by the creator of the universe."

Old October 10th, 2007 #6
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Holy shit.

5'7" and ~300 (actual weight was 299). Now I weigh around 250... Three plates is a great accomplishment. Do you realize that 99.99% of the people walking around can't do that, no way.

Old October 10th, 2007 #7
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrh8r View Post
Same here. It took me a couple straight years of serious lifting to pass the 300 mark on bench.
This dude has to be close to 300 pounds in bodyweight.

Jesse, I can't figure out why your squat is so much better than your deadlift.
Did you neglect your upper back in training for a while?

I'm doing a legs/push pull split routine for power.
Any ideas on the best way to work a few sets of Olympic lifts into my program? Doing them on leg day fucks up my squat. Doing them on push day fucks up my bench. Doing them on pull day REALLY fucks up my deadlift.
My upper back is- well was- extremely powerful. (I once did bent rows with 575 for a set of 4, and have done sets of 6-8 reps on wide grip chins at 300 pounds) The problem was my grip. My hands were VERY thick thus it was always difficult to hold the barbell. Also, I am not at all built- leverage wise- for deadlifting.

Hmm, interesting dilemna... For several reasons, I'd go with a few sets of cleans and some power snatches on my leg day. To avoid messing up my squat, I'd keep the sets low and do them prior to squatting. Think of them as a warm-up.

Hope this helps.

Old October 10th, 2007 #8
T.J. McAllister

I don't suppose I could continue doing push-ups every two days (also a likely factor contributing to my slow bench growth), could I? That would probably cause too much strain on my chest.

Old October 10th, 2007 #9
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
I don't suppose I could continue doing push-ups every two days (also a likely factor contributing to my slow bench growth), could I? That would probably cause too much strain on my chest.
Not if you are really working the push ups hard. I used to do them in chains

Old October 10th, 2007 #10
ngrh8r
Banned

Quote:

Hmm, interesting dilemna... For several reasons, I'd go with a few sets of cleans and some power snatches on my leg day. To avoid messing up my squat, I'd keep the sets low and do them prior to squatting. Think of them as a warm-up.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, dude.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm throwing in the Oly lifts for explosive strength, so I suppose a (relatively) high weight isn't necessary.

Shit, I've never even tried to row more than 225.
And I thought I was the shit because I can do pull-ups with a 45 on the dip belt.

Fuck it. I still lift bigger than any of the niggers I see at the gym. Nothing makes me feel good like adding an extra wheel on each side of what some juiced-up groid was bouncing off his chest for a couple shitty reps.

Speaking of which, did you guys EVER see a nigger doing a compound lift besides flat bench? They always head straight for the machines, especially when it comes to legs. A full half of the groids I see don't work legs at all. No bullshit. These niggers and spics will work their upper body every day, totally ignore their legs and core and spend a good 15 or 20 minutes between sets.

The best was when this fat nigger watched me bang out a set of snatch-grip deads at more than twice my bodyweight. His exact words were; "Well, dat might make you bigger, but it sho' ain't gon' make you stronger." The nigger then proceeded to leg press 110 pounds for half-reps. :krofl

Old October 10th, 2007 #11
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrh8r View Post
Thanks, dude.
Sounds like a good plan. I'm throwing in the Oly lifts for explosive strength, so I suppose a (relatively) high weight isn't necessary.

Shit, I've never even tried to row more than 225.
And I thought I was the shit because I can do pull-ups with a 45 on the dip belt.

Fuck it. I still lift bigger than any of the niggers I see at the gym. Nothing makes me feel good like adding an extra wheel on each side of what some juiced-up groid was bouncing off his chest for a couple shitty reps.

Speaking of which, did you guys EVER see a nigger doing a compound lift besides flat bench? They always head straight for the machines, especially when it comes to legs. A full half of the groids I see don't work legs at all. No bullshit. These niggers and spics will work their upper body every day, totally ignore their legs and core and spend a good 15 or 20 minutes between sets.

The best was when this fat nigger watched me bang out a set of snatch-grip deads at more than twice my bodyweight. His exact words were; "Well, dat might make you bigger, but it sho' ain't gon' make you stronger." The nigger then proceeded to leg press 110 pounds for half-reps. :krofl
That's a nigger for you... Squats are absolute king of exercises. Nothing else can compare. Squatting will put muscles on a fucking grapefruit.

Hang in there, you sound like a strong guy who is willing to work hard, and in the end, hard work is what really matters

Old October 10th, 2007 #12
ngrh8r
Banned

Quote:

There's really no reason to bother with push-ups unless you're stranded for a few weeks with no gym. Even then, you should limit it to handclap and 1-arm variations. There really isn't a whole lot of carry-over between push-ups and bench strength. If you really have to do them, do a single set of as many reps as possible AFTER you finish with benchpress.

I don't understand what the big attraction is with this bodyweight exercise shit. People have spent hundreds of years developing strength training equipment because bodyweight excercises are generally not enough to give a meaningful degree of strength increase. You can forget completely forget about any kind of hypertrophy.

No offense to you, McAllister.
I'm just sick of seeing bodyweight workouts being promoted when we have much more effective means of building strength, size and endurance.

Old October 10th, 2007 #13
Sean Martin

Another poster from Kentucky. Welcome I think you will find VNNF to be filled with Kentuckians.

Old October 11th, 2007 #14
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean(doc)martin View Post
Another poster from Kentucky. Welcome I think you will find VNNF to be filled with Kentuckians.
Thanks Sean! I feel at home already

Old October 12th, 2007 #15
Donnie in Ohio
Switching to glide

Quote:
5'7" and ~300 (actual weight was 299). Now I weigh around 250... [B]Three plates is a great accomplishment. Do you realize that 99.99% of the people walking around can't do that, no way.[B]
Thanks, brother. There are some monsters where I lift. Have you ever heard of Louie Simmons? He trains a few power lifters here locally.

I'm 6'1, 230. It seriously took me 6 months of pretty heavy training (although now I understand probably over training) to get that last 10 pounds from 305 to 315. It just would not happen..lol

I took a week off from the gym for vacation, came back and nailed it after a light warm up.

I don't lift "heavy" anymore, (I understand "heavy" is a relative term) Right now, I do 5 sets of 8 @ 225. Keeps injuries down. I'm gettin' old. (45) But now you bastards got me wondering if I can do it again..lol

Great to have another lifter on the forum. Welcome to VNNF.

BTW: What do you think of incline/decline benches for overall gains in the bench? I've heard it both ways, that it does indeed hit a different part of the pectoral muscle, and that it really offers no extra benefit and is just harder on the shoulder joints.

Last edited by Donnie in Ohio; October 12th, 2007 at 05:04 AM.

Old October 12th, 2007 #16
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Thanks, brother. There are some monsters where I lift. Have you ever heard of Louie Simmons? He trains a few power lifters here locally.

I'm 6'1, 230. It seriously took me 6 months of pretty heavy training (although now I understand probably over training) to get that last 10 pounds from 305 to 315. It just would not happen..lol

I took a week off from the gym for vacation, came back and nailed it after a light warm up.

I don't lift "heavy" anymore, (I understand "heavy" is a relative term) Right now, I do 5 sets of 8 @ 225. Keeps injuries down. I'm gettin' old. (45) But now you bastards got me wondering if I can do it again..lol

Great to have another lifter on the forum. Welcome to VNNF.

BTW: What do you think of incline/decline benches for overall gains in the bench? I've heard it both ways, that it does indeed hit a different part of the pectoral muscle, and that it really offers no extra benefit and is just harder on the shoulder joints.
Greetings, my brother:

Yes, I know Louie Simmons (met him once and spoken with him on the phone a few times). I lifted at "The Ironhouse Classic" in Zanesville, in '05. Louie and his guys were there. Great fellows and Louie is a super guy.

Here's my take on the incline/decline thing: I never did them, well, I tried them but they overtrained me. LOL! But I do know a guy or two who swore they helped. Maybe it's individual?

All the best

Old October 14th, 2007 #17
H.B.

Thumbs up

Quote:
I have benched 725, squatted 940, and deadlifted 600 (sad, I know) in meets.
That is very impressive and it is great to have a big named powerlifter on the board.

I've got a few questions:
  • Does cardio hurt strength? I shoot for a minimal of four hours a week of cardio on a bike at one of the higher levels. Sometimes, I spend up to two hours a day on cardio and yet I keep getting stronger with the weights.
  • Why do so many famous powerlifters and WSM types die prematurely due to heart related ailments?
  • Can intense and heavy sets of deep leg presses substitute for squatting?
  • How much does a bench press shirt "add" to what one can do raw? I have heard claims of up to 300 pounds.

I'll try to think of some more when I get a chance.

Either way, it's great to see you on VNNF.

Old October 16th, 2007 #18
JesseGibson
Hating Niggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hate Beast View Post
That is very impressive and it is great to have a big named powerlifter on the board.

I've got a few questions:
  • Does cardio hurt strength? I shoot for a minimal of four hours a week of cardio on a bike at one of the higher levels. Sometimes, I spend up to two hours a day on cardio and yet I keep getting stronger with the weights.
  • Why do so many famous powerlifters and WSM types die prematurely due to heart related ailments?
  • Can intense and heavy sets of deep leg presses substitute for squatting?
  • How much does a bench press shirt "add" to what one can do raw? I have heard claims of up to 300 pounds.

I'll try to think of some more when I get a chance.

Either way, it's great to see you on VNNF.
Thank you for the overly kind words, brother.

1) Re: Cardio- There are conflicting beliefs concerning this but overall I have come to believe that it add to one's GPP and thus is a plus BUT I would not overly tax myself on it...

2) Here's my take on the Heart related issues: It rarely happens to the smaller guys. It is almost always a function of being LARGE. Even carrying around muscular bw puts a significant strain on the heart and if one is predisposed to bp problems, then it certainly exacerbates that- as well as many other cardio issues.
3) No. Nothing on God's earth can substitute for the barbell squat.

4) It is about skill with the shirt, I don't doubt there are guys who can get 300 over there best shirtless bench. But one must also realize hat those folks may be practicing ands focussing on shirted benches rather than shirtless ones. My best without a shirt was around 580 touch and go, my best with a shirt was 725 in a meet and around 770 without but it was just a gym lift and may not have even touched, I can't remember. I tried 800 in a meet but it wouldn't go.... Ah, the good old days...

Thanks, man and I'll help if I can

Old October 17th, 2007 #19
Moose

I'm not built (skinny as hell), but I can testify to deadlifting/squats being the most effective way to build muscle.

I worked at a lumber yard lifting literally between 5,000-10,000 pounds a day (shingles, sacked concrete, etc.) for....eh...8 months. I gained about 15 pounds of what is apparently nothing but muscle, because my body fat according to my last doctor's visit is under 3%. I know such low body fat isn't always an ideal depending on what your values are, but that is just to show that the weight was pure muscle gain.

So in my view, dynamic lifting like that is the way to go. However, that was the hardest fucking job on the planet, and I'll never do that shit again.

Old October 18th, 2007 #20
H.B.

Lightbulb

Quote:
1) Re: Cardio- There are conflicting beliefs concerning this but overall I have come to believe that it add to one's GPP and thus is a plus BUT I would not overly tax myself on it...
What is GPP?

Being that I want to be all around fit, I tend to put a lot of emphasis on cardio as of lately. It's amazing so many people lift for so long while neglecting BY FAR the most important muscle in the body - and I have been guilty of this as well.

You neglect your calves and your physique might appear unbalanced when you wear shorts. Neglecting your heart, on the other hand, can be lethal.

Quote:
3) No. Nothing on God's earth can substitute for the barbell squat.
That might be true. I've lifted since I was 12 and have not squatted since the 8th grade. I had one bad experience - got 225 stuck on my back - and never went back. I am a little leery with starting squatting now given that I have hypertension and heavy leg presses still occasionally make me feel like I am about to pass out.

Quote:
My best without a shirt was around 580 touch and go, my best with a shirt was 725 in a meet and around 770 without but it was just a gym lift and may not have even touched, I can't remember. I tried 800 in a meet but it wouldn't go....
That is freakin' insane. I can remember back in the day before the 700-pound barrier was even officially broken. The numbers they are pushing now are simply off the charts.

What's your opinion of GH enhancing workouts? Say, you want increase your ability to do weighted pull-ups, so you do 30-45 minutes of heavy leg presses or squats before doing them. I have found this training technique to be one of the most effective things that I have EVER done.

Thread