VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old June 25th, 2010 #21
Bev
drinking tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlightdemented View Post
I only have a small garden, I have an old bath I grow my potatoes in. I have lettuce, raddish, strawberries growing in planters on a wall (due to having hens).
Oooh, the bath is a good idea! I might steal that. I did grow carrots for a couple of years in an old dustbin (the old fashioned sort, not the wheelie bin) and that worked quite well.

Old June 25th, 2010 #22
Sunlightdemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
Oooh, the bath is a good idea! I might steal that. I did grow carrots for a couple of years in an old dustbin (the old fashioned sort, not the wheelie bin) and that worked quite well.
We got our old bath from a builder, we filled it with compost just propped it up at one end to allow water to drain.

Old June 25th, 2010 #23
heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouse83 View Post
My father had an allotment for 30 years and grew all sorts of organic stuff very rarely using pesticides.I have been thinking about digging parts of our back garden over growing potatoes and cauliflower,i think you can grow ptatoes in any soil with natural fertilizer ie horse shit.
you dont need any fertilizer for potatoes, when you get those green little buds/shoots growing out of the potato, dig a small trench aproximately 1 to 1 and a half foot deep, plant them in there with the side of the potato with the most buds on facing up, plant them 6-8 inches apart, cover with soil and give plenty of water.....simples!. you should grow veg, i am of the opinion that a garden goes to waste otherwise

Old June 25th, 2010 #24
Sunlightdemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
you dont need any fertilizer. you should grow veg, i thing a garden goes to waste otherwise
I have never used any fertiliser, been growing my own for two years now.

Old June 25th, 2010 #25
heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bev View Post
On a slightly related note - has everyone taken this test about whether you would survive if there was a total collapse of law and order?

http://www.gotoquiz.com/would_you_su...f_social_order

I have a 64% chance of survival, but that is, of course, without any sort of firearm. I also felt sorry for the thieving guy and let him go with just a kicking, which I think lowered my score.
78 percent chance of survival. i killed the thieving swine without a moments hesitation, i feel no guilt at all, and would do the same again.

Old June 25th, 2010 #26
Bev
drinking tea

I don't use fertiliser either, though on the bottom of deep troughs, I put a few inches of used guinea pig bedding, partly to save on compost and partly for the fertilising qualities.

Old June 25th, 2010 #27
Sunlightdemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
78 percent chance of survival. i killed the thieving swine without a moments hesitation, i feel no guilt at all, and would do the same again.
Same here will have no hesitation. 67% chance of survival.

Old June 25th, 2010 #28
Sunlightdemented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunlightdemented View Post
I only have a small garden, I have an old bath I grow my potatoes in. I have lettuce, raddish, strawberries growing in planters on a wall (due to having hens).
Lots of tips on here.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/

Old November 2nd, 2018 #29
Iain

Funny reading these old threads. This is just the kind of thing that Joe would accuse one of pursuing ‘dead end tactics’ for if you advocated it today. He’ll, he’d probably call you a grass.

Thread