VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 9th, 2012 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default #1 Country Music Thread: Analyzing Merle Haggard's "Mama Tried"

This is one of the more famous and I think greater country songs. A popular bar song and a real work of art.

Tell me why this song is great in relation to the shit called country today.

How would this song be different in lyrics and meaning if, for example, it was filtered through Keith Urban?

In general, what strikes you about this song? Feel free to pull in any background knowledge you may have.

I have of course answers for all the above; I want to see if someone can come up with more or better than I have (been debating with someone about this the last two hours).

What does this song mean? What does the artist intend to get across, and how successfully does he do it? I'm not talking about the musical aspects so much as the lyrical content; we'll stipulate to Haggard being a great singer and guitar player, as far as my ears know. But what does he mean by this song.

Remember, interpretations are no more equal than men are.

What in this song speaks to all of us?

What is the artist's attitude toward his imprisonment? Toward his mother? Toward himself?

Enough English teacher questions, let's see if any of you pukes can get it right.

Last edited by Alex Linder; July 9th, 2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old July 9th, 2012 #2
Alex Linder
Administrator

Pick the eternal and essential out of the singer's story. What in it can all of us relate to, whether we're bad seeds or good?

Old July 9th, 2012 #3
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
This is one of the more famous and I think greater country songs. A popular bar song and a real work of art.

Merle Haggard - Mama Tried (1968 live TV performance) - YouTube

Tell me why this song is great in relation to the shit called country today.

How would this song be different in lyrics and meaning if, for example, it was filtered through Keith Urban?

In general, what strikes you about this song? Feel free to pull in any background knowledge you may have.

I have of course answers for all the above; I want to see if someone can come up with more or better than I have (been debating with someone about this the last two hours).

What does this song mean? What does the artist intend to get across, and how successfully does he do it? I'm not talking about the musical aspects so much as the lyrical content; we'll stipulate to Haggard being a great singer and guitar player, as far as my ears know. But what does he mean by this song.

Remember, interpretations are no more equal than men are.
I think its basically the same message that comes across in Lynard Skynard's "Simple Man", but performed with a more objectional twang and in an ugly, lime-sherbert green polyester leisure suit

Old July 9th, 2012 #4
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
I think its basically the same message that comes across in Lynard Skynard's "Simple Man", but performed with a more objectional twang and in an ugly, lime-sherbert green polyester leisure suit

Lynyrd Skynyrd - Simple Man - YouTube
Don't worry about how he's dressed or how he sings, I'm talking about the lyrics and the intent behind the song. This song has been covered by basically everybody, and there are other vids of Haggard singing it.

I'm not sure how similar the message is to "Simple Man" other than in both a parent offers advice.

Old July 9th, 2012 #5
Steven L. Akins
Banned

Quote:
Don't worry about how he's dressed or how he sings, I'm talking about the lyrics and the intent behind the song. This song has been covered by basically everybody, and there are other vids of Haggard singing it.

I'm not sure how similar the message is to "Simple Man" other than in both a parent offers advice.
You are right, of course, that is where the similarity ends.

Haggard's song seems to speak of predestination, of a resignation to inescapable fate; an awareness of an inherent personal flaw that the best of guidance could not steer him clear of.

Last edited by Steven L. Akins; July 9th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.

Old July 9th, 2012 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven L. Akins View Post
You are right, of course, that is where the similarity ends.

Haggard's song seems to speak of predestination, of a resignation to inescapable fate; an awareness of an inherent personal flaw that the best of guidance could not steer him clear of.
That's what hits me too, but not the person I was arguing with. The point can be greatly expanded on.

Maybe people here don't enjoy microanalyzing things, but the you know who's are famous for it, and I think it's why they usually win. They pay attention to things, and come to understand them better than they understand themselves, perhaps, which allows remarkable feats of mimicry, such as "Tomorrow Belongs to Me," which is Germaner than Germans could do, and perfectly plausible as a nationalist hym - but written by two queer jews.

But let's not depart from the Haggard song.

I think one of the most striking things about it is what he in my view rather pointedly, rather sycopatedly, does not say. Stuff he almost surely would say if this song were written in 2012 by a committee of song manufacturers.

Old July 9th, 2012 #7
Jimmy McQuade
Hrvatski Prijatelj

Quote:

I think one of the most striking things about it is what he in my view rather pointedly, rather sycopatedly, does not say. Stuff he almost surely would say if this song were written in 2012 by a committee of song manufacturers.
That's true. I'd never really noticed that 'til now.

Old March 19th, 2019 #8
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default #1 Country Music Thread

this guy on what's wrong with it, i guess you'd say from a more technical angle, as opposed to political. which i've written about before, but cant locate thread, which this belongs on. very interesting subject but i'm extremely busy and cant mess with it at moment but will get back to it.

Old March 19th, 2019 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

"every player who uses these beats suonds like a skeezy player kinda licking his lips walking into a club"

niggerization, he describes. they're using that underenuciated nigstyle from young deadi and the rest of the uncaged monkeys

deliberate mixing of genres racial sound mixing

Last edited by Alex Linder; March 20th, 2019 at 05:16 AM.

Old March 19th, 2019 #10
Alex Linder
Administrator

streamlined, airbrushed, ballless, soulless, neutered, denatured, niggerized, pastelized

legit subjects: worshipping women (mandatory), drinking, muh tailgate, muh dogger, muh backrodes

Old March 19th, 2019 #11
Alex Linder
Administrator

if country music is about everyday life of adults, where are the songs about divorce, family court - sources of real feelings and pain to tens of millions of people. where are songs about feminism destroying families. songs about "i dont even recognize muh hometown anymoor"

Old March 19th, 2019 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

his non-political point is they're turning a distinctive sound into shit-tier pop. blending a sound out of existence. just like the people who produce it.

everything coordinated all through society

Old March 20th, 2019 #13
Enbyeff

Quote:
if country music is about everyday life of adults, where are the songs about divorce, family court - sources of real feelings and pain to tens of millions of people. where are songs about feminism destroying families. songs about "i dont even recognize muh hometown anymoor"
Suburban teen girls don't wanna hear that shit; they wanna put on their straw cowgrrl hats, boots 'n' Daisy Dukes 'n' dance to the snappy-clappy Autotuned panderings of male models with square, stubbly jaws.

Now, to be accepted for promotion, errthang gotsta be double-dipped in a coating of Nigger; the kikes have made the grunts & screeches of that race of rabid chimps the musical gold standard.

"'Good White music for grown-ups'? Get the fuck outta heah!" says laughing Pinchas.

Tags
#1, country, music

Thread