VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old April 12th, 2014 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default H.L. Mencken Quotations

H.L. Mencken’s Opinion of “The Veteran”

“The average soldier found in the army a vastly more spacious life, with many of the privileges of a chartered libertine. . . . If he did a little stealing it was one of his privileges as a savior of humanity. If he was rough and brutal it was a sign of his fighting spirit. Moreover, he could look forward to distinction and respect for the rest of his life, with a long list of special privileges. In every community in America, however small, there are local notables whose notability rests wholly on the fact that they were once drafted into some war or other . . . . Their general intelligence is shown by the kind of ideas they advocate. They are, in the main, bitter enemies of the liberty of the individual, and are responsible for some of the worst corruptions in politics. The most grasping of all politicians is the veteran.”

H.L. Mencken, writing about World War I draftee veterans in A Mencken Chrestomathy, pp. 93-95.

(Believe it or not, this was written long before John McCain became a senator).

Old April 22nd, 2020 #2
Nate Higgers
卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 卐 卐

How far the gentlemen of dark complexion will get with their independence now that they have declared it I don’t know. There are serious difficulties in their way, the vast majority of people of their race are but two or three inches removed from gorillas. It will be a sheer impossibility for a long long while to interest them in anything above pork chops and bootleg gin.
- H.L. Mencken

Old April 23rd, 2020 #3
Joe from OH

A newspaper is a device for making the ignorant more ignorant and the crazy crazier.

-H. L. Mencken

Old April 26th, 2020 #4
Tomasz Winnicki
White - European - Aryan

My two favorite Henry Louis Mencken quotes:

"Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods."
"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner."
- H.L. Mencken

More here https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/h-l-mencken-quotes

Old April 26th, 2020 #5
bedford

I have a book of quotations called The Great Thoughts which has some really good quotes by Mencken especially one about religion which he basically says is a curse to mankind .rs I know of one good quote the guy who started Readers digest magazine. He says it may be successful because nobody ever lost money by underestimating the taste of the American people. I was just looking at some of the quotes by Alexis de Toqueville the French statesman who visited America around 1850 and wrote about what he saw.I was struck by how similar his observations of America then we're to Americans today.
John Stuart Mill also had some really interesting quotes too and we in the same era. I might get his book called On Liberty.

Old April 26th, 2020 #6
bedford

Mencken lived in the first half of the twentieth century when the USA was basically white and he said all these critical things about the people of that era. I keep wondering what he would think of our third world toilet culture now. Look at yytv with all the silly celebrity gossip shows like TM Z and Jerry Springer, rap music everywhere , whiggers, fat white cuck niggerball addicts, televangelists,
Obese people,homeless, new age crazies,everybody is a victim of something.
He would want to move to Europe but those countries are f Ed too.

Thread