VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 22nd, 2009 #1
OTPTT
Banned

Default Any Electricians Here?

I was talking with someone earlier today who knows about my interest in alternative energy and specifically solar and wind power. He suggested that I become a certified alternative energy installer (sales included) and also suggested that I look into a trade school for electricians. I'm wondering how long it will take to complete the formal training and what limitations there are on what I can do when, or if, I completed such a program.

It would be necessary to become further certified in solar and wind power installations. I'm interested in being able to wire a solar or wind powered system into a preexisting home. If I completed a trade school course would I be able to do this on my own or would I also need a master (or other) electrician?

Time is a consideration as I don't have six years to do the apprentice thing. Thanks in advance.

Old July 22nd, 2009 #2
Kind Lampshade Maker
The paranormal silent type

Depending on your aptitude, you could learn simply wiring, in a couple weeks. Circuitry will take longer. If you're installing solar panel systems, using a diagram, a couple weeks at a vocational school will do. If you plan on designing electrical connections for different sized panels, a 1 year associates degree in basic electrical engineering will suffice

Old July 22nd, 2009 #3
andy

http://www.elec-toolbox.com/
A handy website for aspirant electricians.
In the UK you can give up your job as a poatato picker in Poland get on an allnight bus to London and be wiring up peoples homes the next day.The UK and only the UK allows anyone off the street to install,design and test and inspect installations without any qualifications whatsoever.The cover all "Instructed Person" term is used to protect companies legally from any comebacks.
Virtually the only work I have had for the last 2 years has been putting right and re-comissioning the crap the bosniacks have installed

Chase them into the swamps

Old July 22nd, 2009 #4
Kind Lampshade Maker

I suppose anybody could get employed as a gynocologist for the NHS. It would help, if one wasn't White

Old July 23rd, 2009 #5
Moose

A buddy of mine and I have been talking about getting into installing solar panels for months now. Great minds think a like, eh? I was considering a trade school after I got my vehicle paid off.

You need a Journeymen's to do electrical work on your own, which requires 4,000 hours (4 years give or take) of work under a liscenced electrician. However, I believe that anyone, even without formal training, can do electrical work if it is inspected by a liscenced electrician. I'm not entirely sure about that, but I'll try to see if I can confirm it with the master electrician at work tomorrow if I catch him.

On the other hand, it's possible for you to do the roof installation, and then contract out the wiring part to an electrician. Set it up so that they charge a lower fee if you do all of your business through them.

Old July 23rd, 2009 #6
Kind Lampshade Maker

True. If you aren't a licensed electrician, you can get it certified by one who is.
If you are installing a panel at home, no certification is needed, unless your home owner insurance requires it.
If you are going into business installing these panels, you don't have to be certified either. However, you will need someone in your employ that is and certifies your work

Old July 23rd, 2009 #7
OTPTT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
A buddy of mine and I have been talking about getting into installing solar panels for months now. Great minds think a like, eh? I was considering a trade school after I got my vehicle paid off.

You need a Journeymen's to do electrical work on your own, which requires 4,000 hours (4 years give or take) of work under a liscenced electrician.
I've been doing some research and have found a local trade school that offers an electricians course resulting in either an associate degree or certificate. Both tracks seem to be the same with an extra course thrown in for good measure in the associate program. Since I'm already an RN my previous college courses should be sufficient for me to secure an associate without having to take any unnecessary or time consuming courses.

The program is 15 months long. Start this fall and finish Spring of 2011. Would cost about $6,000 plus books and fees. Since I have no real working knowledge of energy systems I'm seriously considering this course. The only drawback is my age. I don't have a lot of time to waste due to age but I wouldn't be doing anything out of the ordinary during this time anyway.

It appears that the course will allow me to take the journeyman's exam since the last course is actually prep for the exam itself.

Thread