Pieville
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Broadcasts

Old December 16th, 2012 #21
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Howard View Post
Well done Fred, I personally lost 35 Ibs last year, around 20 kilograms.
My BMI was 27, at the start of 2011, now my BMI is at 21.9.
So I went from 6'3 and 215 pounds to 6'3 and 180 pounds.
I feel much healthier now as well.
I cut down on my carbohydrate intake, stopped consuming sugar, and soda drinks, used Whey Protein powder, and drank Soy Milk, instead of regular Milk, for some reason the sugar, and calories in cow Milk far exceed that of Soy Milk.
Good work Bruce, however, I'd strongly advice against the Soy Milk.

The problem with changing a lot of things in your diet at the same time is that you risk drawing the wrong conclusions about one particular food-item when the pounds comes off/health improves. And I think that's the case here. I can assure you that nothing of your success is to be contributed to the soy-milk, because that is absolutely ghastly stuff. One of the last things one wants to consume, under any circumstances. Toxic.

Regular milk, even when not having access to a high-quality source, is infinitely preferable. There's a lot more to the equation than simply counting calories.

Old December 16th, 2012 #22
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
The results:
High energy
Much lower Blood pressure
Feeling really good
Happy
Have to buy new clothes because the old ones fall off.

I have a long way to go. At least another 55 lbs. I am trying.

... oh, and of course: Great work, Fred!

Old December 16th, 2012 #23
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.M. Valdez View Post
Anyone else notice how what I posted actually pertains to the posters on this forum, whereas none of what's been posted in response is actually a direct comment about me? Stupid fat fucks.
Attention whore. "Look at me, I'm a wagon burner".

Old December 16th, 2012 #24
Sebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskeniskyn View Post
Good work Bruce, however, I'd strongly advice against the Soy Milk.
What would you say about almond milk? I try to avoid soy because of all the negative things I hear, but cow's milk bothers my stomach. I don't know if it's lactose intolerance because I do good with cheese. But for drinking, I definitely need an alternative.

Old December 16th, 2012 #25
Fred
Commie Killer

I just came back from a BBQ social in Detroit. Most of the people there I have known for decades. Everyone noticed the difference.

I have to get a new jacket for my bike.

Drink Milk. Do what ever you want except carbs and calories. Watch those.

Do not deprive yourself of nutrition.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Last edited by Fred; December 16th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.

Old December 16th, 2012 #26
Thad Charles
Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
What would you say about almond milk? I try to avoid soy because of all the negative things I hear, but cow's milk bothers my stomach. I don't know if it's lactose intolerance because I do good with cheese. But for drinking, I definitely need an alternative.
It's good but it's also completely devoid of complete protein. It sounds like you have lactose intolerance (1 glass of cow's milk=12g lactose bomb) if you do not have trouble with cheese. Try the lactase pills or the lactose-free milk.

Old December 16th, 2012 #27
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
Almond milk is still far less preferable. Not even remotely as bad as soy though, and I guess if you really like the taste, I'd pretty much shrug my shoulder about it. But I wouldn't drink it for nutrition and health. And most don't either, from my experience - they just drink it because it's supposedly a "healthy alternative", or more precisely, a "healthier alternative to regular milk".

Milk, the real thing, the old-school stuff, is great, despite the bad rep it gets from many camps, both in the "mainstream" and many of the "alternative" circles.

Granted, I'm a bit spoiled over here in Sweden as our commercial alternatives tend to hold a pretty consistent decent quality. And I say "consistent" and "decent", because in many ways, the U.S (if that's where you're located), really has better conditions climate- and nature-wise to potentially produce really high quality- and cheap milk, since we have such long winters here where they have to be fed hay. But on the other hand, compared to the U.S, we don't have to do with the super high-soy feed, bovine growth hormone and other of your uniquely kwanish contemporary problems. BUT, and this is really an important point: milk is a food product that can uphold suprisingly good quality even under bad conditions.

So, even if you can't get a hold of a good supplier, yes, even if you have to rely on a sub-par supplier in a pinch, it still fends much better than most meat and veggies do, generally. And many I've found believe that it's the other way around. I still support the idea of getting as good quality milk as you can get - and from a local farmer is ideal for me on many planes (even raw milk if it sits well with you) - but cows really are milk-machines that put out better quality milk than us human domesticators' really should be deservant of.

Having said that, although the high quality protein, high calcium, and other standard good qualities remains the same, there can be compounds that is picked up in the milk not only depending on what supplemental feed they ate, but also what kind of different grasses. And this is important not in the way that they are dangerous, but that they can cause mild allergic reactions to them, which could potentially cause stomach problems and a general feeling of the milk not sitting right. ( Which could get confused with a "lactose allergy")

So that's one thing. Another: each cow produce a milk with a bacteria flora that is unique. Ah, but that can't mean much these days where the milk of thousands of cows are mixed before it hits the package and the shelves one might interject, and that is partly true, but both these together can and do produce milk-batches that differs in a meaningful way from one dairy to another. I.e That makes one brand of milk different from another.

Then there's the whole question regarding pasteurization. What's best? Raw milk that is getting some hype these days is great if you got a nice supplier and it sits well with you, but even here I'd say there is room for some personal tinkering. Thus, to hit to other side of the spectra, ultra-pasteurized could be a good choice, even the preferable choice, depending on how well it sits with you and your circumstances.

NOTE: I'm not saying that one should have to make a super complex decision every time one wants to pick up a cartoon of milk, or even necessarily be forced to worry about it at all; rather; I just figure that I might as well cover all potentially relevant bases here when I'm already typing away a long post on the topic. This could potentially be of relevance (especially if you're dealing with serious allergies, stomach problems, other chronic conditions etc. )

And then finally there is the question that regards what usually gets broadly termed "lactose-sensitivity" or "lactose-allergy". Manifested with bloated stomach and other mild allergenic-like symptoms. I've already touched on other factors besides the lactose that might be in play, and other considerations that might be relevant, but I'd say that there is some semi-legitimacy to the claim that it is the actual inability to digest the lactose that's causing problems. Only I take the position that, in a healthy person, this is more of an adaptive thing, and most can regain the ability to digest the really rather benign and uncomplicated sugar (which in more technical terms means regaining the ability to produce the enzyme lactase, (note: with an "a") necessary to digest the lactose.)

And the way to do this is to reintroduce the milk slowly, bit by bit, with a meal preferably. So you might start off with half a glass with meals for a week or two, and then go for the whole glass the next two, and then continue progressing (perhaps even tinkering with different brands/degrees of pasteurization if necessary to see if you can find one that sits extra well if needed). And soon enough, you might find yourself being able to stomach it without problems once again!

So, a quick summary:

If milk doesn't sit well with you but you'd like to reintroduce it to your diet (which I think generally is a good idea for many/most):

Things to try:

1. Tinker with different brands
2. Tinker with different levels of pasteurization
3. But most importantly: Reintroduce it slowly into your diet; ease into it, don't drink to much at once.

... And the reasons you might want to consider reintroducing milk might include these: (Because...)

... It contains well-rounded, complete protein.
... Fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, K
... A lot of calcium. This is good in many other ways besides just building strong and healthy bones, as a good supply of calcium in the diet helps prevent calcification of arteries and soft-tissue. Not the other way around. It's when you eat to little of it that you upset the calcium balance and your body drains it from your bones instead; making them weak, and displacing it in other tissues where it doesn't belong.
... It facilitates good thyroid function and a healthy (fast) metabolism.
... Good, stable, healthy, saturated fats (the best)

And also, it's:
... cheap.
... available almost everywhere.
... a complete food which you could literally live off alone and fend ok, and thus it's a very uncomplicated, time-saving, staple addition to have to your eating.

Negative: ... it tastes like shit in coffee!

Last edited by Solskeniskyn; December 16th, 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: *

Old December 16th, 2012 #28
Solskeniskyn

Quote:
The most relevant part of my reply below if you don't feel like wading through all of it:
Quote:
Almond milk is still far less preferable. Not even remotely as bad as soy though, and I guess if you really like the taste, I'd pretty much shrug my shoulder about it. But I wouldn't drink it for nutrition and health. And most don't either, from my experience - they just drink it because it's supposedly a "healthy alternative", or more precisely, a "healthier alternative to regular milk".

... And then finally there is the question that regards what usually gets broadly termed "lactose-sensitivity" or "lactose-allergy". Manifested with bloated stomach and other mild allergenic-like symptoms. I've already touched on other factors besides the lactose that might be in play, and other considerations that might be relevant, but I'd say that there is some semi-legitimacy to the claim that it is the actual inability to digest the lactose that's causing problems. Only I take the position that, in a healthy person, this is more of an adaptive thing, and most can regain the ability to digest the really rather benign and uncomplicated sugar (which in more technical terms means regaining the ability to produce the enzyme lactase, (note: with an "a") necessary to digest the lactose.)

And the way to do this is to reintroduce the milk slowly, bit by bit, with a meal preferably. So you might start off with half a glass with meals for a week or two, and then go for the whole glass the next two, and then continue progressing (perhaps even tinkering with different brands/degrees of pasteurization if necessary to see if you can find one that sits extra well if needed). And soon enough, you might find yourself being able to stomach it without problems once again!

So, a quick summary:

If milk doesn't sit well with you but you'd like to reintroduce it to your diet (which I think generally is a good idea for many/most):

Things to try:

1. Tinker with different brands
2. Tinker with different levels of pasteurization
3. But most importantly: Reintroduce it slowly into your diet; ease into it, don't drink to much at once.

... And the reasons you might want to consider reintroducing milk might include these: (Because...)

... It contains well-rounded, complete protein.
... Fat soluble vitamins A, D, K
... A lot of calcium. This is good in many other ways besides just building strong and healthy bones, as a good supply of calcium in the diet helps prevent calcification of arteries and soft-tissue. Not the other way around. It's when you eat to little of it that you upset the calcium balance and your body drains it from your bones instead; making them weak, and displacing it in other tissues where it doesn't belong.
... It facilitates good thyroid function and a healthy (fast) metabolism.
... Good, stable, healthy, saturated fats (the best)

And also, it's:
... cheap.
... available almost everywhere.
... a complete food which you could literally live off alone and fend ok, and thus it's a very uncomplicated, time-saving, staple addition to have to your eating.

Old January 3rd, 2013 #29
Sam Fisher
Banned

Faust was saying on another thread not to cut carbs, as it messes with insulin and lean muscle mass, but here Fred has personal experience in it helping. What's the definitive answer, I need to reduce my BMI a few points!

Also, how does veggie juice like V8 fare in a healthy diet?

Old January 3rd, 2013 #30
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
Attention whore. "Look at me, I'm a wagon burner".
Shut your dumb ass up, Anal Rammer.

Old February 13th, 2013 #31
Fred
Commie Killer

Update.

Lost another 15 pounds. 70 total.

I have been cheating every now and then. Pizza, cake, and coke. Not that much though.

Old February 13th, 2013 #32
Solskeniskyn

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Update.

Lost another 15 pounds. 70 total.

I have been cheating every now and then. Pizza, cake, and coke. Not that much though.
Good work. Keep it up.

Old February 13th, 2013 #33
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskeniskyn View Post
Good work. Keep it up.
That is great work. I cut the liquor out and am living on 2 lean cusines and water a day. Lost 10lbs.

Old February 15th, 2013 #34
SUNOFSPARTA
MIA

You aren't supposed to talk this way about carbohydrates. According to USDA dietary recommendations, they are not only healthy but are supposed to make up the majority of the food we eat—45 to 65 percent of all calories. Carbs, which are classified as starches and sugars, make up the essence of bread, cereal, corn, potatoes, cookies, pasta, fruit, juice, candy, beer, and sweetened drinks—basically anything that isn't protein or fat. Our government's recommendations were established in the 1970s and have since been accompanied by an explosion of obesity and diabetes. The advice came about as early nutrition scientists rallied around a misguided maxim that remains embedded in the fabric of our attitudes toward food to this day: Eating too much fat makes you fat. But science never bore out this pre-Galilean view of nutrition. What is now clear is this: At the center of the obesity universe lie carbohydrates, not fat.

Read More http://www.details.com/style-advice/...#ixzz2Kz6FTO5J

http://www.details.com/style-advice/...?currentPage=1

Old February 15th, 2013 #35
Thad Charles
Master Race

Yeah the USDA has been killing people for years with their bullshit. You can go the rest of your life without eating a single carb. Fat and protein? Ehhhh start planning your funeral now.

Old March 8th, 2013 #36
Ghetto-Blaster
Banned

Fred, keep up the great work. Same to you, Angel and anyone else trying to manage their weight.

I now have 18 pounds to lose, it was 20 two days ago but I have a new weapon.... crushed chia seeds. They're tasteless, healthy and extremely filling. I sprinkle about a tablespoon's worth of them on each serving of yogurt, salad, steak, cereal, fruit, anything. Combining chia seed with a healthy diet and exercise is quite effective. The crazy lady at my health food store turned me on to them. Check it out guys.

Old March 8th, 2013 #37
N.M. Valdez
SMASH THE FASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ramsey View Post
That is great work. I cut the liquor out and am living on 2 lean cusines and water a day. Lost 10lbs.
So Anal Rammer's a fat piece of shit too. Who'd of thunk it?

Old March 8th, 2013 #38
Angel Ramsey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.M. Valdez View Post
So Anal Rammer's a fat piece of shit too. Who'd of thunk it?
Yeah....about that.

Old March 12th, 2013 #39
Breanna
Eternal Glory

DO NOT RESORT TO QUICK FIXES OR EXTREME DIETING TO LOSE WEIGHT

Do not starve yourself. Do not take part in extreme calorie restriction. You will permanently damage your body.

Old March 12th, 2013 #40
Armstrong
Banned

I'm working my way toward a vegan diet...it's an amazing experience.
My scale has gone bonkers, probably needs a new battery, so I don't know what the weight change has been right now. I'd like to lose 10, then maybe more....will see about the first 10 first. I seem to be detoxifying....in a very good way.

Thread