VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old October 27th, 2009 #1
Alex Linder
Administrator

Default Men prefer normal-sized women over skinnies

Why men will ALWAYS pick 'curvy' Scarlett Johansson over 'size zero' Victoria Beckham

By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 11:56 PM on 27th October 2009

* Comments (89)
* Add to My Stories

It's a good reason to ditch that diet and celebrate with a piece of cake.

A study has found that men really do prefer ‘normal’-sized women with a few curves to those who are fashionably thin.

They find a body like Scarlett Johansson’s or Kate Winslet’s more attractive than the angular frames of Posh Spice and Paris Hilton.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0VBe3eAHl

Old October 27th, 2009 #2
Amy

I've thought for awhile now that women don't actually alter themselves physically so much to gain the attention of men, but more to compete with other females.

Old October 27th, 2009 #3
Tom Richardson

I like a woman with a little extra, not fat, mind you, but curves in all the right places. Skinny women make me want to feed them. A confident self-assured woman with curves, is truly a turn on.

Old October 28th, 2009 #4
Nick Apleece

Curveless, bony women look infertile.

Old October 28th, 2009 #5
Alex Linder
Administrator

Nothing wrong with fat women, in my opinion. Far more irritating in women than their size is their worrying about it. Hey, if you need to change, change. If you're comfortable with yourself, you're a lot easier to be around.

Fat is not the same as unhealthy, nor does being fat cause diabetes or other health problems. Skinny women with chest bones undulating above their breasts like sandbars out into the gulf of Mexico are not appealing. They look undernourished and eminently frangible.

Old October 28th, 2009 #6
Alex Linder
Administrator

Women should not be any skinnier than the one on the right.

Old October 28th, 2009 #7
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Nothing wrong with fat women, in my opinion.
I like chubby. Chubby can be cute.
Morbidly obese, however...?

Old October 28th, 2009 #8
Kievsky

Extra fat initially enhances the uniquely recognizable female form, up to a point. After that point, too much fat and she becomes shapeless.

So long as a woman's "weight" goes towards giving her a female shape, she's not too fat. Too fat or too thin and she just doesn't look like a woman.

Old October 28th, 2009 #9
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
I like chubby. Chubby can be cute.
Morbidly obese, however...?
Who said anything about morbidly obese?

Fat is not morbidly obese.

Old October 28th, 2009 #10
Alex Linder
Administrator

There are a lot of boxy, porcine midwestern women who are perfectly healthy. Many people do not have the bones to be small, they're essentially prole farm animals on two legs, think Heidi Beirich.

Old October 28th, 2009 #11
Kievsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Linder View Post
There are a lot of boxy, porcine midwestern women who are perfectly healthy. Many people do not have the bones to be small, they're essentially prole farm animals on two legs, think Heidi Beirich.
Alex,

Heidi Beirich is an example of a woman who has crossed the line from the female form, to obesity. You can tell from her face:

She'd need to lose about 100 pounds to be attractive.

Old October 28th, 2009 #12
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:

She'd need to lose about 100 pounds to be attractive.
Soooooooey! She's pure mitteleuropan peasant. It would take a lot more than weight loss to make her attractive to non-sty residents.

Old April 2nd, 2011 #13
Mike Parker

'I am healthy and happy,' insists Candice Swanepoel: Victoria's Secret model defends her stick-thin figure

By Daily Mail Reporter
1st April 2011

Her shockingly-skinny figure drew gasps when she appeared at a Victoria's Secret swimwear launch earlier this week.

But 22-year-old model Candice Swanepoel has defended her dramatically slimmed down figure, insisting she is perfectly healthy.

The South African model insisted: 'I am healthy and happy.'

Barely there: Candice Swanepoel has defended her rail-thin figure, insisting she is healthy, pictured here on Wednesday at a Victoria's Secret swimwear launch in Los Angeles

She told celebrity website People.com: 'I'm heartened to know how much everyone cares about me, but in this case, everything is normal and good.'
But during the event in Los Angeles on Wednesday, Candice attributed her rail-thin physique to dieting, stress and working out.

Back in November, she told ABC News and New York Fashion week that her hectic schedule contributed to her super slim look.

'I've been traveling around like crazy,' she said in the interview at the time. 'I get skinnier if I'm very busy.'

Candice was at The Mondrian hotel in Los Angeles on Wednesday to model the new Victoria's Secret swimwear line.

She also appeared noticeably slimmer around the jawline.

While Adriana and Alessandra looked slender in their black swimsuits, Candice looked almost emaciated next to the two girls.

Adriana, 29, who gave birth eighteen months ago to her daughter Valentina, showed no sign of carrying any extra baby weight and looked a much healthier weight than Candice.

Even Alessandra, who is known for her slender frame, looked larger next to the blonde South African.

Candice's appearance was a far-cry from when she fronted up the company's Valentine's Day campaign - which was released in January this year.

In a two-piece raspberry bra set, her sexy curves were clearly on display.
In her modelling card by agency IMG, her statistics are given as 33-23-34 and a US dress size 8 (UK size 12).

Candice is fast becoming one of the most popular Victoria's Secret models and had landed the cover of the Victoria's Secret Swim 2011 Catalogue.

In recent years, the company has been criticised from shifting away from the curvy models that made the brand so famous in favour of super-slim girls.

Odd one out: Standing alongside fellow her she stood out with her pencil thin legs and concaved stomach

The lingerie line has had a long-line of beauties who have endorsed a healthy model figure that boasts ample cleavage and fuller legs and backsides, unlike most fashion models.

Legendary supermodels Heidi Klum, Naomi Campbell and Tyra Banks have all walked the catwalk for Victoria's Secret.

The company have already come under fire after a 2010 shoot in St. Barts revealed a strikingly skinny Alessandra Ambrosio modelling the label's swimwear.

With her pelvic bones and ribs protruding just a year and half after having her baby Anja, she looked childlike next to two plus size models.

But Alessandra believes she is more on the curvy side and even once told the Daily Mail: 'I'm very lucky to work for a brand that wants women to be healthy. You need to be able to fill out the bra and the panties, so yes, I'm a curvier girl.'

Victoria’s Secret has gone from strength to strength since launching in 1977.

Though the brand is not currently widely available throughout Britain, the lingerie masters have big plans in place for the first UK flagship store to open next year on London’s New Bond Street.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ck-figure.html

Old April 2nd, 2011 #14
Hudson
Banned

Location: Hassling shopkeeps along the information superhighway

You can tell she doesn't eat at McDonalds.

Old April 2nd, 2011 #15
Armstrong
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parker View Post
'I am healthy and happy,' insists Candice Swanepoel: Victoria's Secret model defends her stick-thin figure

By Daily Mail Reporter
1st April 2011

Her shockingly-skinny figure drew gasps when she appeared at a Victoria's Secret swimwear launch earlier this week.

But 22-year-old model Candice Swanepoel has defended her dramatically slimmed down figure, insisting she is perfectly healthy.

The South African model insisted: 'I am healthy and happy.'

Send her over, I'll see if I can fatten her up a bit!!

Old April 2nd, 2011 #16
Susan

I've told you all here on VNN before that women are usually not normally this thin. Only rarely are females naturally this thin. My sister was very thin as a child and teenager. She's had three children and still has a great figure, but she's no longer skinny looking, just nicely shaped. Not fat, in other words, but normal looking. But she could have eaten anything she wanted and not have gained any weight.

I, on the other hand, was always normal looking: slender as a child and teenager but not skinny or overweight either. But if I had overeaten or not exercised or played, I might have put on some weight.

I have told you guys that almost all of these runway type models were the sickly skinny types as girls, tall with long necks--requirements of a runway model. Then, they get breast implants to give them some shape.

But, you know-it-all types here have always said I didn't know what I was talking about. Only on the internet: anonymous posters who know nothing about females think they know more about being female than a 56 year old female. lol

Granted, with exercise and eating carefully, females can certainly have great figures that look natural and healthy. But it's harder for females to maintain perfect figures during their lifetimes due to childbearing, hormones, and other vicissitudes of life. There's too much pressure on females to try to live up to some mostly unattainable ideal of womanhood.

I've read several biographies and autobiographies of female actresses back in the thirties and forties, and one theme runs through their stories: They were all held to an unnatural ideal of weight. It stated in their contracts with the movie studios that if they gained weight, they could be suspended or fired. They called it the "potato clause".

So, female actresses basically starved themselves to maintain that stick thin figure so admired by everyone. It was unnatural and unhealthy and it still is. Greta Garbo was quoted as saying she was always hungry back then. What a terrible way to live!

There's a huge chasm between being stick thin and being overweight. There's a normal, healthy weight somewhere in the middle that is perfectly fine for females. She doesn't have to have a perfect hourglass figure with a perfectly flat belly to be attractive.

White people need to get back to thinking right about weight and not thinking jew. Since mostly jews ran the big studios and called the shots, I really think this is just another way jews have screwed with White people. Before Hollywood, women were considered attractive even if they were a little heavier rather than skinnier.

I think it was jew studio head Louis B. Mayer who said that American men liked their women slender/thin. Yes, certainly shapely, but not wraith like as we have seen since the advent of Hollywood.

Old April 2nd, 2011 #17
Swede
morsning korsning

Women should have curves and wide hips. It's nice to have something to feel (hehe).

But to be a fattie is just not sexy.

Old April 2nd, 2011 #18
Mike in Denver
Enkidu

Boobs A Lot

A beautiful song, originally by The Fugs 1966, edited to remove unnecessary lines mostly about, "Do you wear your jock, a lot?"

---
Do you like boobs a lot?
(Yes, I like boobs a lot.)
Boobs a lot, boobs a lot.
(You gotta like boobs a lot.)
Really like boobs a lot.

They're big and round,
They're all around.
They're big and round,
They're all around.
---

Mike

Old April 2nd, 2011 #19
Walter Fairchild Jr
Banned

Thumbs up Boobs a lot

Yes, I like them a lot. For me I prefer women who say yes more than no.
That is what really gets my attention.

Old April 23rd, 2011 #20
Mike Parker

Forget chubby, keep it slim! Says a new controversial report supporting size zero

By Sadie Whitelocks
21st April 2011

Despite many slamming size zero models - even Victoria Beckham banned them from her fashion show last year - the runway waif has now been backed by top academics.

A new report warns that getting rid of super-skinny models could worsen the nation's obesity epidemic.

Researchers Dr Davide Dragone and Dr Luca Savorelli, from the University of Bologna, Italy claim that introducing larger models will increase unhealthy eating habits.

Runway waifs: Despite campaigns to ban size zero a report now claims that getting rid of skinny models could worsen the obesity epidemic

With obesity currently costing the NHS £4.2 billion, a figure is set to double by 2050, the report claims that using larger models would lower the incentive for people to lose weight.

In their paper entitled Thinness and Obesity: A Model of Food Consumption, Health Concerns, and Social Pressure they write:

'If being overweight is the average condition and the ideal body weight is thin, increasing the ideal body weight may increase welfare by reducing social pressure.

'By contrast, health is on average reduced, since people depart even further from their healthy weight.

'Given that in the US and in Europe people are on average overweight, we conclude that these policies, even when are welfare improving, may foster the obesity epidemic.'

Their research, which was presented at the Royal Economic Society's annual conference in London, argues that increasing the size of the fashion models will alter people's perception of the ideal weight.

And while it may help those with eating disorders, it would be detrimental to the nation as skinny models provide an incentive for weight control.

This conflicts with recent efforts to eradicate size zero following a reported 80% rise in the number of young girls admitted to hospital with anorexia in England over the last decade.

Simon Lawton-Smith from the Mental Health Foundation, which offers advice to sufferers of eating disorders, argued: 'The idealising of underweight models can set unrealistic expectations.

'A perceived failure to meet these expectations can lead to low self-esteem, anxiety and serious mental health problems such as depression.

'These in turn can increase the likelihood of developing an eating disorder.'
Since 2006 there has been an agreement between Italy, Spain and Germany and the fashion industry to introduce new rules requiring a higher minimum size for models.

There has also been an increase in the production of larger sizes for high-street fashion labels.

Dr Dragone and Dr Savorelli continue: 'To promote chubby fashion models when obesity is one of the major problems of industrialised countries seems to be a paradox.

'Everyone has to trade off in life a number of things like the pleasure of eating and going to the gym or something as a cost.

'So if you just fix the average healthy weight then maybe you will throw up some incentives to be thin.'

A recent study published in the Journal of Consumer Research 'Seeing is Eating' also claims that what we see impacts our diet.

Authors Margaret Campbell and Gina Mohr explain: 'Seeing someone overweight leads to a temporary decrease in a person's own felt commitment to his or her health goal.'

In one of their studies participants ate twice as many cookies after they were shown images of someone who was overweight, even if they had goals to maintain a healthy weight.

They continue: 'Thinking about personal health goals and reminding oneself of the undesirable effects of eating indulgent food at the time of possible consumption can help people avoid eating too much.'

A House of Lords debate earlier this month addressing the UK's growing obesity crisis, looking at restricted diets as a solution.

Lord McColl of Dulwich said: 'The obesity epidemic is killing millions, costing billions and the cure is free...eat less and live.

'Will Her Majesty’s Government embrace the essential fact that reducing food intake is five times more effective than exercise?'

Lord Campbell-Savours, an advocate of health reform added: 'We do not talk about whether people are fat or thin.

'We have to get over that because a huge problem is developing, in part due to an element of political incorrectness which is reflected in how the media and the industry treat the subject.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...size-zero.html

Thread