VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old August 9th, 2008 #61
odin
Nuthin' But Luv, Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip View Post
Most articles that I've come across state that the body only needs one day off after a workout to "recover". What would be the advantage of working one group of muscles per week as opposed to all groups 3 times a week?
Hardcore bodybuilders work each muscle group only once per week. For the rest of us 3 times per week should probably be the max...leaving 4 rest days.

I agree with Rebel, though. Too many people claim expertise in the area of fitness and spew out bad advice. No one can give anything more than some basic "good ideas" to someone they've never even met. Each person has different goals and different abilities. Most depends on age and current fitness level. A good workout for a 25 year old is too much for the majority of us 45 year olds.

It's the same with nutrition. A diet that's perfect for one man could shoot another's cholesterol or blood pressure through the roof.

The best advice anyone can give is: Find a local nutrition and fitness trainer and get a workout and diet plan personally tailored for you.

But here's a couple of pretty good sites for bodybuilding:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
http://fitness.scoobysworkshop.com/

And there's always the Universal Bodybuilding course that advertised in the back of comic books 30 years ago. The whole course online:
http://www.scribd.com/word/full/9921...=2z3k0os8pm638

Old August 9th, 2008 #62
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by cillian View Post
This is what I do:

Monday Lats
Tuesday Triceps
Wednesday Calves
Thursday Biceps
Friday Chest
Saturday Quads
Sunday Shoulders

Wednesday and Sunday are practically days off, and the workouts tend to be short, but should be done to exhaustion.
Or you can group lats with biceps, and chest with triceps.
Not to be a dick, but why would you do only lats on Monday? Why not the whole back?

Old August 9th, 2008 #63
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker oftheWhip View Post
Most articles that I've come across state that the body only needs one day off after a workout to "recover". What would be the advantage of working one group of muscles per week as opposed to all groups 3 times a week?

Thx for the link rebel, I'll check it out.
a real pic of manfred hoeberl

he says:

STRONG-ARM ADVICE FOR BEGINNERS
"When I started training, I tried nearly every exercise imaginable," says Manfred. "I usually did four biceps and four triceps exercises for 12-15 sets each bodypart. My arms grew, but not quickly.

"As the gains came slower and slower, I decided to do a little experimenting. I cut back on the number of exercises and sets, and I raised the intensity level. Where before I was doing 12-15 sets, now I was doing six! The results were amazing.

"My arms exploded with new growth. Never before had I experienced such phenemonal results. Yet, I took things one step further: I increased the number of rest days and eventually got to the point where I was working my arms only once per week. And, my biceps and triceps workouts now take only 10 minutes!

"In my hunger for big arms, I thought more work and workouts were the answer. I was wrong. When it comes to massive, unbelievable arms, less is more!"

Old August 9th, 2008 #64
Dan_O

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post
Hardcore bodybuilders work each muscle group only once per week. For the rest of us 3 times per week should probably be the max...leaving 4 rest days.

I agree with Rebel, though. Too many people claim expertise in the area of fitness and spew out bad advice. No one can give anything more than some basic "good ideas" to someone they've never even met. Each person has different goals and different abilities. Most depends on age and current fitness level. A good workout for a 25 year old is too much for the majority of us 45 year olds.

It's the same with nutrition. A diet that's perfect for one man could shoot another's cholesterol or blood pressure through the roof.

The best advice anyone can give is: Find a local nutrition and fitness trainer and get a workout and diet plan personally tailored for you.

But here's a couple of pretty good sites for bodybuilding:

And there's always the Universal Bodybuilding course that advertised in the back of comic books 30 years ago. The whole course online:
Good links Odin. Here is the link I give to anyone who has any question about form. Any muscle, any exercise.
http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Old August 9th, 2008 #65
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_O View Post
Not to be a dick, but why would you do only lats on Monday? Why not the whole back?
What ever you want to call it, I just mean not the lower back.

Old August 9th, 2008 #66
Dan_O

Quote:
a real pic of manfred hoeberl

he says:

STRONG-ARM ADVICE FOR BEGINNERS
"When I started training, I tried nearly every exercise imaginable," says Manfred. "I usually did four biceps and four triceps exercises for 12-15 sets each bodypart. My arms grew, but not quickly.

"As the gains came slower and slower, I decided to do a little experimenting. I cut back on the number of exercises and sets, and I raised the intensity level. Where before I was doing 12-15 sets, now I was doing six! The results were amazing.

"My arms exploded with new growth. Never before had I experienced such phenemonal results. Yet, I took things one step further: I increased the number of rest days and eventually got to the point where I was working my arms only once per week. And, my biceps and triceps workouts now take only 10 minutes!

"In my hunger for big arms, I thought more work and workouts were the answer. I was wrong. When it comes to massive, unbelievable arms, less is more!"
Notice how he has no shoulders.
Synthol

Old August 9th, 2008 #67
Dan_O

You want to see aryan muscle? Two words..
Tom Platz

Old August 9th, 2008 #68
cillian

Yeah I would say most guys that big are juicers, but does that mean what works for them wouldn’t work for a clean athlete? I dont know too much about steroids.

Old August 9th, 2008 #69
Dan_O

Quote:
Yeah I would say most guys that big are juicers, but does that mean what works for them wouldn’t work for a clean athlete? I dont know too much about steroids.
Of course it would work. That is the best way to take your workouts to the next level. The only problem with a "juicers" workout is that you probably don't take in the amount of protein they do. But, that comes with size.

When you think of steroids, think of building a house. You naturally have all the bricks to build the house, but the steroids send an extra crew to build it faster and bigger. That doesn't come without a cost. You eat non stop, and have to watch what you eat. And you tend to fuck fat girls.

Old August 10th, 2008 #70
COTW
Overseer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odin View Post

I agree with Rebel, ...But here's a couple of pretty good sites for bodybuilding:

Thanks for the links Odin. I'm still going through them but like what I've read so far, very helpful.

"The very aim and end of our institutions is just this: that we may think what we like and say what we think."

-Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Old August 10th, 2008 #71
colleen

As for getting in shape....My son wants to start taking some martial arts and I want to take some sort of self defense class.....Is there anything that would incorporate both....So we could take classes together?

Old August 10th, 2008 #72
cillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by colleen View Post
As for getting in shape....My son wants to start taking some martial arts and I want to take some sort of self defense class.....Is there anything that would incorporate both....So we could take classes together?
They generally split up children and adults, but i would recommend ju jitsu.

Old August 10th, 2008 #73
Jett Rink
Banned

Self Defense? Chink style?

Save your money and go to the shooting range.

Old August 10th, 2008 #74
colleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
Self Defense? Chink style?

Save your money and go to the shooting range.
Never shot a gun in my life. Didn't want to go into that willy nilly.

Old August 10th, 2008 #75
Jett Rink
Banned

That jujitsu and kungfu only works in the movies.

Old August 10th, 2008 #76
cillian

http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=46152

colleen have a look at this thread

Old August 10th, 2008 #77
colleen

Quote:
http://www.vnnforum.com/showthread.php?t=46152

colleen have a look at this thread
Thanks Cillian.

HAHAHA. Pretty easy to read thru that thread when its 1/2 flame.....and 3/4 the users are now banned...lol

Last edited by colleen; August 10th, 2008 at 10:11 PM.

Old August 10th, 2008 #78
Jett Rink
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Cillian.

HAHAHA. Pretty easy to read thru that thread when its 1/2 flame.....and 3/4 the users are now banned...lol
ROTFL!!!!!!!

Old August 10th, 2008 #79
cillian

Quote:
Thanks Cillian.

welcome to vnnf

Old August 11th, 2008 #80
RebelWithACause
¡Confíeme en!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jett Rink View Post
That jujitsu and kungfu only works in the movies.
Please refrain from commenting on things that you obviously don't know anything about. It just makes you look like a complete idiot.

If your only experience has either been some simple 'karate' or 'tae kwon do' classes from a 'black belt mill' or watching stylized bullshit in the movies, I can see where you would jump to your ill-informed conclusion.

However, if you actually had any sort of background or understanding of actual martial arts, you'd understand that in the vast majority of scenarios, a trained fighter will be infinitely more effective than an angry redneck throwing haymakers.

This is the reason why I tend not to post on Internet forums devoted to guns, fighting, nutrition, or bodybuilding/fitness....it's because as soon as someone asks a legitimate question, folks with absolutely no knowledge of the subject instantly deem themselves as experts and begin to vent their colon to the world about things they don't understand.

Here's a quick ProTip: You don't have to respond to every post. Sometimes, the right move is to sit back and listen - you might learn something.

Thread