Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Go Back   Vanguard News Network Forum > Our Culture > Geneaology
Donate Register Multimedia Blogs Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Login

View Poll Results: What's your Paternal Ancestry? (Men only)
I1 (Scandinavian) 6 11.54%
I2a (Yugoslavian) 3 5.77%
I2b (German) 11 21.15%
G (Alpine) 0 0%
R1A (Baltic) 2 3.85%
R1B (Celtic) 21 40.38%
J1 (Arabian) 0 0%
J2 (Mediterranean) 0 0%
N1 (Finnic) 0 0%
C3 (Mongolic) 0 0%
Q (Eskimo) 0 0%
E (Egyptian) 0 0%
O (Asian) 0 0%
D (Tibetian) 1 1.92%
O (Asian) 0 0%
Other (Feel free to mention in post) 0 0%
I am female 3 5.77%
I don't know 5 9.62%
I don't want to know 0 0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Display Modes Share
Old June 14th, 2014 #21
313Chris

I voted 'I don't know' because I've never taken a DNA test, and frankly I don't trust those services to be honest and free of an agenda these days.

For the record, my father's side is Italian from Rome, and my mother's side is Polish from Bialystok.

Old June 22nd, 2014 #22
Carl Corey

DNA tests measure your Y haplogroup objectively and accurately. Other results, such as racial admixture, are partially guess work.

Unlikely that as many people are I2b as claimed as it's relatively rare. So the poll results are useless.

As the Y chromosome is the most relevant chromosome it's important to know if you're serious about race.

Old June 22nd, 2014 #23
Dakota Dave

Scotch/Irish

Old June 22nd, 2014 #24
Squarehead Chris

Swedish, 100% on my Fathers side.
50% Swedish, 50% German on my Mothers side.

No known other mixes.

Old July 3rd, 2014 #25
Josie_in_SF

Men only? lol

Old July 6th, 2014 #26
Chad Wentworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie_in_SF View Post
Men only? lol
Nope, the poll has an option called "I am female".

Old July 6th, 2014 #27
varg

I assume he set it that way because women don't have a Y chromosome. You could still find out your fathers, you won't be passing it on to your children though.

Old July 6th, 2014 #28
Jimmy Marr

Quote:
Originally Posted by varg View Post
I assume he set it that way because women don't have a Y chromosome. You could still find out your fathers, you won't be passing it on to your children though.
This is an often overlooked danger of female participation in politics. Women don't have as much to lose from immigration and the resultant increase in the probability of miscegenation it creates.

Quote:
Out of the corruption of women proceeds the confusion of races; out of the confusion of races, the loss of memory; out of the loss of memory, the loss of understanding; and out of this, all evil. - Bhagavad-Gita

Old July 7th, 2014 #29
Thad Charles
Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie_in_SF View Post
Men only? lol
You're using a fake pic.

Old July 7th, 2014 #30
varg

Thanks for playing hall monitor, but so are you. First you say someone's using a 'troll avatar' then you say someone's using someone else in their avatar. Have you not seen yours or something?

Last edited by varg; July 7th, 2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: thad must be feeling thhhad

Old July 7th, 2014 #31
Thad Charles
Master Race

Quote:
Thanks for playing hall monitor, but so are you. First you say someone's using a 'troll avatar' then you say someone's using someone else in their avatar. Have you not seen yours or something?
It's obvious that I'm not Ahmadinejad, but I believe the poster is misrepresenting herself.

edit: it could be that someone else stole her pic, so mea culpa in that instance, but that's probably unlikely

Last edited by Thad Charles; July 7th, 2014 at 04:28 PM.

Old August 18th, 2014 #32
RickHolland
Bread and Circuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Corey View Post
DNA tests measure your Y haplogroup objectively and accurately. Other results, such as racial admixture, are partially guess work.

Unlikely that as many people are I2b as claimed as it's relatively rare. So the poll results are useless.

As the Y chromosome is the most relevant chromosome it's important to know if you're serious about race.
Your Y-chromosome represents the DNA of your father, paternal grandfather, and so on up the paternal line. Y-chromosome results are generally identical throughout the paternal line and are passed from father to son.

If your paternal line came from Europe you usually have an European Y haplogroup even if you are not White.

Quote:
Y-chromosome lineages in Cabo Verde Islands witness the diverse geographic origin of its first male settlers.

The Y-chromosome haplogroup composition of the population of the Cabo Verde Archipelago was profiled by using 32 single-nucleotide polymorphism markers and compared with potential source populations from Iberia, west Africa, and the Middle East. According to the traditional view, the major proportion of the founding population of Cabo Verde was of west African ancestry with the addition of a minor fraction of male colonizers from Europe. Unexpectedly, more than half of the paternal lineages (53.5%) of Cabo Verdeans clustered in haplogroups I, J, K, and R1, which are characteristic of populations of Europe and the Middle East, while being absent in the probable west African source population of Guiné-Bissau. Moreover, a high frequency of J* lineages in Cabo Verdeans relates them more closely to populations of the Middle East and probably provides the first genetic evidence of the legacy of the Jews. In addition, the considerable proportion (20.5%) of E3b(xM81) lineages indicates a possible gene flow from the Middle East or northeast Africa, which, at least partly, could be ascribed to the Sephardic Jews. In contrast to the predominance of west African mitochondrial DNA haplotypes in their maternal gene pool, the major west African Y-chromosome lineage E3a was observed only at a frequency of 15.9%. Overall, these results indicate that gene flow from multiple sources and various sex-specific patterns have been important in the formation of the genomic diversity in the Cabo Verde islands.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12942365

Demographics_of_Cape_Verde Demographics_of_Cape_Verde

So only having the Y-DNA (paternal line) without the MTDNA (maternal line) is meaningless in regards to race and it is more useful for analysis of the large sample sizes like countries population because it gives us an idea about their migrations.

Also some mixed race people can have an European haplogroup in the paternal and maternal lines, specially in non-European countries that had a large European immigration like Argentina, Brazil or the US.

Only an autosomal dna test can give you a better idea about your own race/ethnicity.

http://dna.ancestry.com/

http://genealogy.about.com/od/dna_ge.../autosomal.htm

Quote:
Women, in spite of not carrying a Y-chromosome, can still trace their paternal lineage. Using a DNA sample provided by a brother, father, or another paternal relative (for example, a male cousin) a woman can treat these Y results as if they were her own.
Only force rules. Force is the first law - Adolf H. http://erectuswalksamongst.us/ http://tinyurl.com/cglnpdj Man has become great through struggle - Adolf H. http://tinyurl.com/mo92r4z Strength lies not in defense but in attack - Adolf H.

Old October 26th, 2014 #33
dollins

celtic here and proud!

Old November 22nd, 2014 #34
RedshirtKamelia88

Mine is R1b-L21

after further testing I found it was the "Scots-modal" or whatever they call it. Pict-modal, Str45, etc..

then later found certain markers match more specifically with the Scots Modal sublade found in the western Lowlands of Scotland, especially around Dunbarton, Renfewshire, Ayrshire, Glasgow etc.. and even part of the western Islands

this matches with my family's Scotch-Irish ancestry since most Scottish settlers who went to Ulster in the 1600's were by majority from the western Lowlands, places like Galloway and Ayrshire, and the Anglo-Scottish Borders from Cumberland to Roxburgh to Northumberland etc..

the Y-DNA probably came from Strathclyde Britons in my case.

Old May 5th, 2016 #35
Glen Withrow

I'm I1 here.

Old August 26th, 2016 #36
Emily Henderson
Intellijintly Dezined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Marr View Post
"..Women don't have as much to lose from immigration and the resultant increase in the probability of miscegenation it creates.."
Women do have 'as much to lose from immigration and the resultant increase in the probability of miscegenation it creates.' Unless you mean men have 'more to lose' in losing their Surnames/identity due to women not having a test-able Y chromosome, but that affects the race as a whole, not just the males.

Whether they (women) realize it or not (the dangers of beaner and nigger invasion) would be the question, but this is re Y DNA, not politics.

A lot of women find their Y line by testing their closest living male relative-
AUTOSOMAL DNA tests can tell a female of the DNA contributed from all ancestors now, though. Adopted women have found missing fathers this way all over the place. Not as thorough a way to find paternal ancestry of course.

Old July 4th, 2020 #37
Jimsouth

Talking

Story goes, the Romans avoided the Pics ( Scottish & Irish ) because they occasionally ate their prisoners.

Thread