Vanguard News Network
VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old July 26th, 2011 #21
Armstrong
Banned

I'm pretty good at identifying metals. Mike's hat doesn't look like tin foil to me, it looks like platinum foil, salvaged from an aero space yard...worth probably $5,000. How many $5000 hats do you have NM??.....reminds me of the shuttle tile material I picked up once for free. Lasted 25 years at high temps...

And what is it that you do, NM? Just curious amigo.....

Old July 27th, 2011 #22
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
So tell us, Paco,
what do you do to make ends meet?
(Awaiting your prompt reply.)
a day later and still no response.
Just crickets.

I knew Balldisease was too pussy to answer my query.

I neglected to mention that a magnet is also an important tool for seperating ferrous from non-ferrous materials.

Old July 27th, 2011 #23
N.B. Forrest

I know copper & aluminum fetch prices that make scrapping worth the candle (since I've dismantled a few old tvs, electric motors, etc.), but what does scrap steel, regular or stainless go for? I heard 2 cents a pound recently, and that hardly seems worthwhile.

Old July 28th, 2011 #24
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTodd View Post
I haven't worked a regular job in five years since being laid-off.
Instead I've supported myself by dealing in used restaurant equipment and/or scrapping the stainless steel, copper, and aluminum and regular steel from unsalvageable units (ovens, coolers, fryers, prep tables, and the like).
Most any equipment can be used to turn a profit.
Auctions are a good source as well as just keeping your eyes open for places that are going out of business. Many times a business will even pay you to haul away obsolete equipment that has scrap value.
As an example last weekend I attended an auction at a warehouse that was stocked with lots of restaurant equipment and much miscellany. I spent approximately $500 on junk equipment and received $1700 from the scrapyard after separating the metals as well as reselling a Hobart meat slicer to a restaurant supply house for $200 (I paid $50).
The basic tools of the trade are a pick-up truck, saws-all, power drill, spud bar, sledgehammers (large and small) and any other implements of destruction you can find.
If you can hustle and are not afraid of a little hard work this can bea very lucrative profession.
Currently I'm socking away a lot of cash and I will never have to work for anybody else ever again.
Bah-bah-bah-be bop-bop I FEEL FREE!)
This is awesome. This is the kind of thing I really respect. Good job, Mike, I'm impressed. Seizing the initiative is the true White way.

Old July 28th, 2011 #25
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.M. Valdez View Post
Why would you call me "paco," a derivative of a castilian name?

Did you bring in an extra bag of aluminum cans to the recycling center?
I've got to hand it to you: you're a unique combination of the very worst aspects of barrio beaner and SWPL poser.

Last edited by Alex Linder; July 28th, 2011 at 02:52 AM.

Old July 28th, 2011 #26
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Edwards View Post
I've been laid off for a long while now. That sounds like an interesting idea, Mike. What size of pickup truck do you need? Does it require very much storage for the junk?

Recently I was toying with the idea or fixing or repairing things as I am mechanically minded, but couldn't figure out where to start, also there was the problem of storing and selling the stuff you fixed for a reasonable price. Your method cuts out the hassle of finding a buyer and haggling for a price.
I think better than fixing stuff would be selling staples at low prices, kind of copying the Salvation Army but doing it for profit. I live very near an SA, and it attracts a lot of people, and moves a lot of stuff at pretty low prices. Of course, I'm sure it has tax advantages, but it might be possible to knock off its business model for profit. I mean, it sure seems to me to be a better way to go than try to sell high end flea-market stuff. I never see anyone in these little permanent knick-knack type stores trying to peddle flea-market crap as antiques. But Mike's idea sounds great - hell, even aluminum is .57 a pound out here.

I talked to a guy in one small town who's in the tv repair business; he's trying to get into the photography business; says the flat-screens don't offer a lot of repair opportunities, hard to get diagrams, etc. He told me there are like 13 pro photographers in the town, which is not that large. It seems like every profession is clogged with people. I don't know how many dentists and lawyers we have in town, but there are certainly dozens of each. It makes me wonder how they find business.

Old July 28th, 2011 #27
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.M. Valdez View Post
Maybe raerae gathers up burlap sacks of pennies to take to the railroad tracks too.

lol No, I save those for my little one. She loves to count them

Old July 28th, 2011 #28
Armstrong
Banned

Glass bottle are worth something too.....not sure about window glass. Took a couple months of recyclables in and they were $15.00. So I took a voucher and my trash in the next day. The voucher paid my dump fees and gave me a couple dollars back. It all helps.....but $500 bucks, Rae, when are you taking us all out to lunch?

Old July 28th, 2011 #29
MikeTodd
Pussy Bünd "Commander"

Re: N. B. Forrest,
Steel is quite high right now, $220 per ton. Stainless is about 65c per lbs.
Now is a good time to rid yourself of that junk washer and dryer taking up space in your basement or that old fridge in your garage.
If that sounds like too much work give a call. I'd be happy to come by and haul them off for you.

Old July 28th, 2011 #30
Rae Kiley
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
Glass bottle are worth something too.....not sure about window glass. Took a couple months of recyclables in and they were $15.00. So I took a voucher and my trash in the next day. The voucher paid my dump fees and gave me a couple dollars back. It all helps.....but $500 bucks, Rae, when are you taking us all out to lunch?
lol Sadly my husband is not working in his trade at this time. He's an electrician.
He used to bring home lots of left over wire. All I did was strip the covering off. Took no time at all and it was easy money in the bank.

So...no lunch soon my friend.

Old August 1st, 2011 #31
L. Edwards
Migrant White worker

I haven't been on this topic for days so I missed your reply, AL. Never was interested in sales - just something about sales people. I have some irons in the fire -took some training course that were free. If anybody was considering buying a truck I believe Ford 250 Diesel would be a good deal. 2005 was the year they got 25 mpg. The newer Ford diesels only get about 15 or so. You could haul a lot of scrap with that.

Craig Cobb posted about jobs in Montana an hour ago so things are looking up. This is the only serious place to get real information. Going through all details.

Old August 4th, 2011 #32
Alex Linder
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by L. Edwards View Post
I haven't been on this topic for days so I missed your reply, AL. Never was interested in sales - just something about sales people. I have some irons in the fire -took some training course that were free. If anybody was considering buying a truck I believe Ford 250 Diesel would be a good deal. 2005 was the year they got 25 mpg. The newer Ford diesels only get about 15 or so. You could haul a lot of scrap with that.

Craig Cobb posted about jobs in Montana an hour ago so things are looking up. This is the only serious place to get real information. Going through all details.
Yeah, it sure looks like N.D. is about as hot as it gets these days. I've mentioned other times, the only big city I've seen the last ten years that really looked flush for goods and services is Dallas. I'm always impressed when I go through. Perhaps that goes for all Texas. Texas has a generally better mentality about markets than other states, altho it suffers from whining-beaner pollution.

What I described is retail, which isn't really sales. You don't have to "sell" people on low-ticket items such as you find at Salvation Army. You have to sell people the high-end stuff, and that's much more difficult. I think you could keep a steady turnover in staples store - selling kitchen goods, cheap used clothes. Just from what I'm observing, I've never tried it myself. I know lots of people, like apartment managers, make extra cash selling off stuff people leave in units. That's not totally low-end stuff either, but a good way to make 20-100 here and there from dressers, mattresses, lights, microwaves, tvs and such.

Thread