VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old May 5th, 2018 #1
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Launch of Mars Insight Lander

Today I attended the launch of the Mars Insight Lander and took the following video:

The launch took place on the fifty-seventh anniversary of Alan Shepard's flight in Freedom 7, the first flight of an American into space.

Since today is also Cinco de Mayo, let us also not forget the most famous Mexican Astronaut of all, José Imenez.

Old May 5th, 2018 #2
Ray Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Bijeliti View Post
Today I attended the launch of the Mars Insight Lander and took the following video:

Launch of Mars Insight Lander

The launch took place on the fifty-seventh anniversary of Alan Shepard's flight in Freedom 7, the first flight of an American into space.

Let's Light This Candle

Since today is also Cinco de Mayo, let us also not forget the most famous Mexican Astronaut of all, José Imenez.

The Astronaut by Jose Jimenez 1961
Sorry you couldn't see the launch through the fog very well, Nikola. Still must have been cool to watch. Mars InSight is the first planetary probe launch from VAFB. I think the Clementine lunar mission was launched from there in 1994. I wasn't sure how they could get a good Mars transfer burn launching from VAFB, being it's a high-inclination and polar orbit launch site, but obviously they worked it out.

I hope I can see humans go to Mars during my lifetime, whether it's Russians, Chinese or SpaceX. We'll see if today's ape-firmative action NASA will do it.

Here's a good video of the launch from JPL-NASA:

That scene from The Right Stuff where Al Shepard pees in his suit is funny. The miniseries From the Earth to the Moon did a good dramatization, too.

I think Bill Dana, aka Jose Jimenez, died recently.

--Henry A. Kissinger, jewish politician and advisor

Old May 5th, 2018 #3
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allan View Post
I wasn't sure how they could get a good Mars transfer burn launching from VAFB, being it's a high-inclination and polar orbit launch site, but obviously they worked it out.
According to the announcer at the viewing location, it was launched southward into a polar orbit, then, after a little over 3/4 of an orbit, completes a trans-Mars injection over the North Pole.

Old May 7th, 2018 #4
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Here's a video that explains why they launched from California.

Old May 8th, 2018 #5
Ray Allan

Looking forward to a successful landing of InSight in November. Sadly, the "Great Galactic Ghoul" lurking near Mars claimed the last lander, the Exo-Mars 'Schiaparelli' in 2016.

Old May 18th, 2018 #6
Ray Allan

Old July 25th, 2018 #7
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
Sorry you couldn't see the launch through the fog very well, Nikola. Still must have been cool to watch.
Okay, I took another launch video this morning, and this time I could actually see the launch very clearly. Well, in person, anyway. My Nikon Coolpix camera wasn't able to capture all the detail that the eye could, but you can still see a blob, which is the jet from the rocket.

If you have the time, check out the playlist on my channel of videos related to the Mars Insight Lander.

Old July 25th, 2018 #8
Ray Allan

Quote:
Okay, I took another launch video this morning, and this time I could actually see the launch very clearly. Well, in person, anyway. My Nikon Coolpix camera wasn't able to capture all the detail that the eye could, but you can still see a blob, which is the jet from the rocket.

SpaceX Launch of Iridium NEXT Satellites 56-65

If you have the time, check out the playlist on my channel of videos related to the Mars Insight Lander.
Were you able to see first stage separation and boost-back?

Old July 26th, 2018 #9
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
All we could see was the jet from the rocket engine, no more. There was fog on the ground, but after the rocket got above the fog, we could see a white line in the sky rise up and over us until it disappeared over the roof of the motel balcony. I suppose you could describe it as a very bright comet. It was clearer and sharper than the video would indicate, but it was much less spectacular that I was lead to believe that a launch would be. The sound of the rocket is rather loud, louder than it appears on the video, and the earth does shake a bit; that part is more spectacular than the sight itself.

When we took the guided tour of the Vandenberg launch complex, the tour guide told us of a place called the Hawks Nest that has a better view, but he said that it is only open for daytime launches. I thought it was a building, like Hitler's Eagle's Nest, but, when I googled it, it was only a lot by the side of the road. He also said that there is usually no fog at winter launches. We may go again if I have the time.

Old October 7th, 2018 #10
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Launch of Argentine SAOCOM Satellite

Quote:
I just watched the launch of SAOCOM 1A (Satélite Argentino de Observación COn Microondas, Spanish for Argentine Microwaves Observation Satellite), which was built by the Argentine Space Agency CONAE (Comisión Nacional de Actividades Espaciales).

I didn't have my camera with me, since I was watching from my front yard, which is a good distance from the launch site, so I didn't expect to see much, however, the launch was quite spectacular, especially compared to the two launches that I attended in person. This time I could see the first stage separation, boost-back, and watch the first stage return to the launch site. The first stage separation was actually more spectacular than what I saw on the official launch video. It created a large cloud which filled a large area of the sky. The launch was visible from as far away as Petaluma, Sacramento, and Lake Tahoe, California; western Nevada; Phoenix, Arizona; and northwest Mexico.

Old October 7th, 2018 #11
Ray Allan

Quote:
I just watched the launch of SAOCOM 1A (Satélite Argentino de Observación COn Microondas, Spanish for Argentine Microwaves Observation Satellite), which was built by the Argentine Space Agency CONAE (Comisión Nacional de Actividades Espaciales).

I didn't have my camera with me, since I was watching from my front yard, which is a good distance from the launch site, so I didn't expect to see much, however, the launch was quite spectacular, especially compared to the two launches that I attended in person. This time I could see the first stage separation, boost-back, and watch the first stage return to the launch site. The first stage separation was actually more spectacular than what I saw on the official launch video. It created a large cloud which filled a large area of the sky. The launch was visible from as far away as Petaluma, Sacramento, and Lake Tahoe, California; western Nevada; Phoenix, Arizona; and northwest Mexico.
I saw it myself here in Nevada, and it was quite impressive. I didn't have a camera either, unfortunately. I was on the road on my way home from visiting a relative and my brother, who was driving, spotted it first and didn't know what the heck it was. It was to the south in the direction of VAFB, so almost immediately I knew what it was. It was visible for several minutes, and the first stage separation formed a big halo around the exhaust flare of the second stage until it disappeared from sight as it climbed to orbit. I don't think I saw the boost-back, being several hundred miles away. Really cool, first time I've seen that in real life.

Old October 8th, 2018 #12
Ray Allan

We're about one month away from Mars InSight's landing on Meridiani Planum. Hopefully, the Great Galactic Ghoul stays away and the landing is successful. Landing on Mars has been notoriously difficult over the decades.

I think the Opportunity (MER-2) rover might be dead. Contact was lost with Opportunity's sister, the Spirit (MER-1) rover in 2010. Numerous attempts to contact Opportunity have failed over the last few months. But there has been a big dust storm raging on Mars during this time, so the rover might still wake up if its solar panels aren't too covered in dust. Either way, both Mars Exploration Rovers have been a success being they landed on Mars in 2004 and were only designed for a 90-day mission.

Old October 8th, 2018 #13
James T Kirk
Banned

Unlike most of you, I witnessed the Alan Shepard launch as it happened, on live B&W television, on a Motorola TV that looked like this:

I also witnessed this live, as well:

But all that happened half a century ago....

Since then, America has dropped the ball. What most of you might not know, but I do, is that back in the 1960's we white Americans were intoxicated with our newfound power to make things happen. The Moon was just the first stop. Back then, the government and the media fully led us to believe that men would walk on Mars no later than 1985. If you doubt that, just do your Internet research.

And we fully expected to have a well established lunar colony by the year 2001. No, not start a colony, mind you, but have one built and fully occupied, like this one:

But like the Mars dream, that dream died too, beaten to death like a white woman in a dark alley by a savage nigger soon after President Johnson launched his "War on Poverty" and re-channeled billions of white men's taxes to feed a nation brimming with worthless niggers like this one:

Old October 8th, 2018 #14
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Quote:
We're about one month away from Mars InSight's landing on Meridiani Planum. Hopefully, the Great Galactic Ghoul stays away and the landing is successful. Landing on Mars has been notoriously difficult over the decades.

I think the Opportunity (MER-2) rover might be dead. Contact was lost with Opportunity's sister, the Spirit (MER-1) rover in 2010. Numerous attempts to contact Opportunity have failed over the last few months. But there has been a big dust storm raging on Mars during this time, so the rover might still wake up if its solar panels aren't too covered in dust. Either way, both Mars Exploration Rovers have been a success being they landed on Mars in 2004 and were only designed for a 90-day mission.
Well, Opportunity is solar powered, so dust storms definitely affect it, but Curiosity is nuclear powered, and it is having troubles as well.

Let's hope all goes well with Insight.

Old October 23rd, 2018 #15
Ray Allan

NASA's First Image of Mars from a CubeSat

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7263

Old November 8th, 2018 #16
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Curiosity on the Move Again

The Mars Curiosity rover is working again.
Quote:
NASA's Mars Curiosity rover drove about 197 feet (60 meters) over the weekend to a site called Lake Orcadie, pushing its total odometry to over 12 miles (20 kilometers). This was Curiosity's longest drive since experiencing a memory anomaly on Sept. 15. The rover switched to a spare computer, called the Side-A computer, on Oct. 3.

Old November 19th, 2018 #17
Ray Allan

Quote:
LockheedMartinVideos
Published on November 17, 2018

After a long journey, the InSight spacecraft will arrive at the Red Planet on November 26, 2018. Learn about the punishing entry, descent and landing sequence and what it takes to safely land on Mars.

Quote:
Apparently, they decided to give InSight a soft American woman's voice. Does this mean Viking 1 & 2 spoke like gruff Scandinavians back in the '70s?

Old November 23rd, 2018 #18
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Today Is Black Hole Friday!

Today is Black Hole Friday!

https://nasa.tumblr.com/post/1340581...ck-hole-friday

Old November 25th, 2018 #19
Nikola Bijeliti
fluxmaster

Default Landing of Mars Insight Lander

With the landing of Mars Insight Lander only a few hours away, I thought I'd post a video of Mars that I took from my back yard.

On August 27, 2003, Mars came the closest to earth that it has been in thousands of years. I wanted to take close-up photographs through my telescope, so I purchased a mounting bracket to mount my camera on the telescope, but there was one problem. At the highest magnification, once I had Mars centered in the field of view, it was impossible to swing the camera into place without disturbing the alignment. Even at low magnification, I could not swing the camera into place without disturbing the alignment, so I had to settle for low-magnification photos taken with the camera hand-held.

This video was taken through the telescope from my back yard on August 27, 2003, and demonstrates the difficulty of holding the camera steady while shooting through the telescope. But what's that green light in the video? Could that be a UFO?

Old November 26th, 2018 #20
Ray Allan

I looked at Mars through low-power binoculars that same evening in 2003, and it looked about as fuzzy. Maybe it was distortion caused by Earth's atmosphere, an optical illusion or wishful thinking, but I swear I saw a dark patch within the disk of Mars that could have been the Syrtis Major region. It was one of the first Mars surface features early telescopes spotted.

Thread