VNN Media
VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old February 22nd, 2017 #1
NewsFeed
News Bot

Post Jewish Peter Mandelson admits he is trying to bring down Corbyn

Peter Mandelson, the architect of New Labour, has said he is working every day to undermine Jeremy Corbyn, as Blairite peers stood up in the House of Lords to lambast their party’s leadership for backing Brexit.

Mandelson, a former cabinet minister under Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, told an event for the Jewish Chronicle that he was actively working to bring an end to Corbyn’s leadership.

His comments will be inflammatory at a time when Labour MPs have toned down their public opposition to Corbyn, after his second leadership election by a huge margin in the autumn.

Mandelson, who has made no secret of his antipathy to Corbyn’s leadership, told the newspaper’s editor, Stephen Pollard: “The problem with Jeremy is not that he is a sort of maniac – it’s not as though he is a nasty person. It’s that he literally has no idea in the 21st century how to conduct himself as a leader of a party putting itself forward in a democratic election to become the government of our country.”

He added: “Why do you want to just walk away and pass the title deeds of this great party over to someone like Jeremy Corbyn? I don’t want to, I resent it, and I work every single day in some small way to bring forward the end of his tenure in office.

“Something, however small it may be – an email, a phone call or a meeting I convene – every day I try to do something to save the Labour party from his leadership.”

In response, a Labour source hit back at the peer, suggesting Mandelson was part of the establishment. “The idea of Jeremy Corbyn being prime minister and implementing policies that actually benefit the people terrifies the establishment, so it’s no surprise Peter Mandelson has found time in his busy schedule of spending time on oligarch’s yachts to attempt to undermine him,” the source said.

There is little appetite for another challenge to Corbyn among MPs, but a number of peers expressed fury about the leadership’s position on Brexit on the second day of debate on the Brexit bill in the House of Lords.

In defiance of the shadow cabinet’s collective support for triggering article 50, Roger Liddle, a former special adviser on Europe to Blair and now a peer, said Corbyn had failed to fight plans for a hard Brexit and instead marched his MPs through the division lobbies to vote for it.

Echoing the intervention of Blair on Friday, he said: “Let’s be frank, and I do say this with terrible sadness, the debilitation of our own party contributed to Brexit. We have a leader who, unlike the vast majority of Labour members including many of those who joined up in order to support him, has never been a European true believer.

“And in the referendum he failed the key test of democratic politics, which is to cut through media cynicism and the mass of seething public discontents with a compelling and positive case for Europe which forced voters to listen.

“And now I see no clarion call for the fight, only a three-line whip in the Commons to force Labour MPs to troop thr

----- snip -----

read full article at source: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...rbyn-every-day

Thread