VNN Digital Library
VNN Reader Mail
VNN Broadcasts

Old November 1st, 2005 #1
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Matthaus Hetzenauer
Default Best assault weapon value

I recently bought a used Ruger Mini-30 (7.62x39 cal.) in good condition through the classifieds for $350. As the previous owner used it for deerhunting in Pa., the original wood stock has it's dings and chips and the barrel and receiver are in need of re-blueing. I bought a synthetic folding stock with stainless extension online for $75 and plan on shipping it to Ruger for a factory re-blueing and overall facelift (figure it'll cost about $100 + S&H).

It came with 30, 10, and 5 rd. clips and two boxes of ammo. Let me tell you, folks -- this piece kicks ass! I took out to the field a couple Sundays ago and was very impressed. Never fond of ghost-ring sights, I was surprised at the grouping I put together at approx. 100 yds. And it feels as though the trigger's got a 3 oz. pull on it -- very fast.

Anyone else out there owning a hot assault rifle with a total cost of under $1,000? Let's hear about it.

Old November 1st, 2005 #2
ragnar

ragnar

I wanted to get a ruger mini-30 at one time (either that, or the legendary deerfield ). Right now I'm saving my money for a hk g3 caliber .308 that comes with 2 20 rnd magazines for $550. I'm pretty poor, so it may take awhile. Take that thing assault-varmint hunting yet?

Old November 1st, 2005 #3
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Matthaus Hetzenauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnar
I wanted to get a ruger mini-30 at one time (either that, or the legendary deerfield ). Right now I'm saving my money for a hk g3 caliber .308 that comes with 2 20 rnd magazines for $550. I'm pretty poor, so it may take awhile. Take that thing assault-varmint hunting yet?
Any H&K is a damn fine piece and a .308 will take any animal on the North American continent -- four-legged or bipedal.

Old November 1st, 2005 #4
Antiochus Epiphanes
Ἀντίοχος Ἐπιφανὴς

Antiochus Epiphanes

my experience with this piece is that you need to use stock ruger magazines because the aftermarket ones are shit. you can sometimes find ac556 20 rd mags but I would not trust 30 rd mags to feed reliably. I dont know if ruger made these for the 762 version or not.

you dont want to waste any money on junky ass magazines that will misfeed in a pinch. when you are under pressure things go wrong and the magazine is the weak link in the rifle loading chain more often than not.

Old November 1st, 2005 #5
antiZOG

antiZOG

I like the choice of caliber ( 7.62 X 39 ), it's plentiful enough, at this moment.
Also, 5.56 mm, ( M-16 ammo ). I would say both are good medium range cartridges, with my preference leaning to the Russian round, because it has more mass, is not deflected off course as easily by twigs, foliage, or the wind.
We must remember however, that distance is life, especially when an individual might be hypothetically one day find himself against the might of a large, organized force, armed with optics, infra-red, communications net, air-support-on-demand, advanced body-armor, and a massive logistics system to support it all.
This is why having at least one long-range precision rifle, with good optics, and good training, is a good idea. Calibers like 7.62 X 51 NATO (.308) are the minimum. The Russian 7.62 X 54 is I think, even better, when loaded to full strength. Both are plentiful. 8mm Mauser, is another good one, also when full-strength ( not down-loaded as US ammo makers do for liabilty reasons ).
US 30'06 is another excellent one, but you don't see as many deals on ammo, that there are with the 8mm and Russian 7.62 X 54.
Now, if you are in a riot situation, with masses of armed thugs roaming nearby, then yes, the fire-power of a self-loading rifle is advantageous.
Here is an old proverb that IU read once: "The Best Armor is to Stay Out of Range". Get reckless and you'll end up like swiss cheese.
-just my two cents..

Old November 2nd, 2005 #6
T.J. McAllister

T.J. McAllister

DPMS AR Carbine, 16" Barrel- $700 OTD. Very ergonomic, 5.56x45mm, handy, and reliable with USGI mags and any ammo that's not WOLF. PS, if you're going to buy an AR, don't waste your time with "rails", laser sighting, flashlights, etc. She's high class, but won't put up with BS and she's high on the maintenance.

Cugir SAR-1- $300. Short, quick to shoulder with simple iron sights and a scope mount on the side for Soviet-pattern optics. Eats the shittiest ammo on earth, and then begs for more. Mags are plentiful and are strong enough to be considered "melee" weapons. Its 7.62x39mm cartridge is ballistically similar to the .30-30 Winchester, but the x39 is lighter and a hell of a lot cheaper than the -30 Win. This unseemly broad ain't much to look at, but she'll always cook and clean, and she's always "in the mood" when you are.

Old November 21st, 2005 #7
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Matthaus Hetzenauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiochus Epiphanes
my experience with this piece is that you need to use stock ruger magazines because the aftermarket ones are shit. you can sometimes find ac556 20 rd mags but I would not trust 30 rd mags to feed reliably. I dont know if ruger made these for the 762 version or not.

you dont want to waste any money on junky ass magazines that will misfeed in a pinch. when you are under pressure things go wrong and the magazine is the weak link in the rifle loading chain more often than not.
I have one 30 rd. mag (not Ruger. Matter of fact, no markings on it whatsoever) and I zipped through it w/o a hitch. I pulled the trigger as fast as I possibly could, trying to get it to jam. No dice.

I've fired hundreds of rds. through 20 rd. mags (M-16) while in the military and had many, many jams. M-16s are famous for that. Not so with Ruger -- at least not in my experience.

Old November 21st, 2005 #8
Jenab
Senior Goatly One

Jenab

Somebody who has bought several guns should post what a newbie buyer should expect when he approaches the gun store proprieter to ask him to order a nice SAR-1 or Colt Commando. What papers does the buyer have to show? What questions does the buyer have to answer? What "gotchas" are in the process, if any? What disqualifies someone from buying a rifle such as these? What laws can you run afoul of, if you're not careful? Give a walkthrough.

Jerry Abbott

Last edited by Jenab; November 21st, 2005 at 05:58 PM.

Old November 25th, 2005 #9
centerfire

centerfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
a .308 will take any animal on the North American continent -- four-legged or bipedal.
This is true, indeed. However, before attempting to use this particular round on an Alaskan brown bear, you had better make sure you are an absolutely spectacular shot - or are a looooooong way off. I don't think I'd use anything under a .338; .375's better.

Old November 25th, 2005 #10
Jenab
Senior Goatly One

Jenab

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerfire
This is true, indeed. However, before attempting to use this particular round on an Alaskan brown bear, you had better make sure you are an absolutely spectacular shot - or are a looooooong way off. I don't think I'd use anything under a .338; .375's better.
A man with a modest AK shooting 7.62x39 out of a 20-round magazine at a bear initially 100 feet away should get the bear, most of the time.

Old November 25th, 2005 #11
centerfire

centerfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenab
A man with a modest AK shooting 7.62x39 out of a 20-round magazine at a bear initially 100 feet away should get the bear, most of the time.
Yeah, you're probably right about that. I'd still be scared shitless. Those things can get up to 10' in height, c. 1700 lbs., and the fuckers are fast! You come across one of those critters at it's food source (e.g., dead moose carcass it's protecting) or around cubs, and that thing is going into a blind rage rarely witnessed. That 100' you mentioned would be covered very quickly, and when enraged, they can be unbelievably difficult to stop. I've read reports about how much ammo they can take, and it's often of fairly high caliber. It does depend on the situation, and bears do vary in temperament. Some turn around or drop more quickly than others. I'm thinking of a worst case scenario.

Old November 28th, 2005 #12
Matthaus Hetzenauer
Wutta maroon!

Matthaus Hetzenauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by centerfire
Well-said. I see now why you chose "Centerfire" as a name -- you know wtf you're talking about.

I read an article years ago in a gun rag about just such a hunt. The author using the .06 in this case, was a lifelong hunter and gun enthusiast. He'd hunted "The Big Five" in Africa. On this particular hunt, he was after Kodiak bear specifically (they're the biggest of the browns/grizzlies) and nailed one on a riverbank that weighed in at over 1,600 lbs. His guide, equipped with a .375 H&H was right alongside him, just in case.

Old November 28th, 2005 #13
centerfire

centerfire

Well, my post was leading off topic, this thread being about assault weapons. I found it hard to resist, though, when I saw .308 as a round which can take any critter on the continent. It certainly can! The .308 is what I had in my last rifle (Sako 75), and I just couldn't picture myself using that to take one of the big aggressive brownies in AK. Similar comment could possibly be made about one of the giant AK mooses... though, again, depends on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoaxThis
He'd hunted "The Big Five" in Africa.
Gosh! < $ > I know this is not a very popular thing with quite a few VNNers, but I sure would love to give that a shot. Long as it's fair game. I sure as hell wouldn't be toatin' a .308 along!

Old November 1st, 2005 #14
Oy Ze Hate
We're the Good Guys

Oy Ze Hate
Default double bladed axe dude

Cheap, easy to use, and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat for lopping off the heads of untermensch.

And it "swings both ways".

Thread